PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Riley Cooper....

This does belong in the religion/politics section even though the media broadcasted it from an Eagle.

The problem is that you're looking at it backwards - the words (symbols, essentially) don't create the power structure, the power structure creates the words (or symbols). The roles those symbols take are predetermined by societal structure, even if they are used by individuals in a different manner.

This leads to an important distinction between cracker and the n-word, and how the two are usually viewed both by the utterer and the utteree. The n-word is - rightfully - viewed defensively as an attack on all blacks while cracker is usually viewed as a deeply personal insult, one that stems from a characteristic the recipient has no control over (which is why racialization is an absurdity) but not one that is necessarily directed at every white person who ever lived.

The problem is that you're looking at it backwards - the words (symbols, essentially) don't create the power structure, the power structure creates the words (or symbols). The roles those symbols take are predetermined by societal structure, even if they are used by individuals in a different manner.

This leads to an important distinction between cracker and the n-word, and how the two are usually viewed both by the utterer and the utteree. The n-word is - rightfully - viewed defensively as an attack on all blacks while cracker is usually viewed as a deeply personal insult, one that stems from a characteristic the recipient has no control over (which is why racialization is an absurdity) but not one that is necessarily directed at every white person who ever lived.

Hmmm, when I've heard the term said to me was it because I was in a position of control or did the person saying it simply want to demean me? I rather doubt they understood the historical origins of it, they just wanted to bring me down or just go along with other people who they heard use the term to describe white people.

The real problem here is that you're trying to create a justification for different rules for different people, either you condone racism or you don't, and when you make an excuse for blacks using the term "cracka" or even just "white boy" you're putting them on a different level than whites.

Hate to get back no topic here but this just flashed across my IPhone from the local ABC affiliate here in Philly,
>> Eagles excuse Riley Cooper from all team activities>>>>
------------------------------------------------
They're saying it's a leave of absence....
"Hey Coop, coach wants to see you, and bring your playbook."

How sad of a world we live in where it can be honestly said that if Cooper had pulled his fist back and punched the guy with all his might it would be far, far less newsworthy than the name-calling that actually happened.

Heck, if he had gone home that night and gone up to his wife/girlfriend and punched her as hard as he could, it would be far less newsworthy than the name-calling that actually happened.

Interesting issue, teams and the league have to use equal standards when it comes to fining and disciplining players and now they have set a bar where players will be fined for using the N word. I guess that means that any player who uses the word at any time and gets caught is now subject to a fine, because they are going to have a real problem on their hands if they are applying any standard to only one racial group within the league.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the word and would love to see it wiped away for good, but the double standard isn't going to work in a setting where standards have to be the same under the CBA.
That's exactly true and exactly why the NFL didn't suspend him. Because if they set that precedent, there would be a lot of justified criticism the next time someone else used that word, and I have no doubt that many of the black people in the NFL use that word regularly.

What a bunch of bull$#!+...

They guy says one questionable word, but, most of the NFL are thugs...

And he is the devil? :rolleyes:

The Redskins are still a team...

What a bunch of bull$#!+...

They guy says one questionable word, but, most of the NFL are thugs...

And he is the devil? :rolleyes:

The Redskins are still a team...

Actually I think this will go a ways ( long? short?) towards making them change it. How can you discipline for using one very hateful word while another albeit less hateful name is the team moniker????

I don't get why, when someone says something stupid or offensive, it's the job of some people and/or the media to then tear that person's life apart.

So Cooper said something stupid. He now pays for that--he's essentially lost the respect of everyone--and that's a big blow. But why would he have to lose his job or income and have his life turned upside down? Why should it be the charge of certain people or the media to make sure that happens? That just doesn't seem right to me.

Also, this seems like it was a drunken 'heat of the moment' thing. It may or may not even be how he really feels. Either way...why does something like this get demonized to a much higher degree than something say like your average rap lyric? Rap lyrics, in my mind are far more racially insensitive and unbelievably demeaning to women. But more than Cooper's seemingly 'heat of the moment' outburst, those lyrics are calculated. They are fine tuned over days, weeks, months, years. There is a real design to those harmful or offensive words, but Cooper is going to get torn apart for one stupid fleeting moment.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back