PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ridley visiting the Fins ... and Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ridley in Dallas would be amazing for him. Just please, leave the AFC East.

I also kinda wonder if we'll bring in Moreno. Joshy drafted him didn't he? And Bill loves players that perform well against us...

I think he may be somewhat overrated as a pure rusher, although he has a respectable enough 4.1 YPC. Even with his 225 yd game vs. NE in 2013, he barely cracked the 1,000 yard barrier, which was also the only time he's ever done it in his six year career.

The one area he could potentially help would be that of receiving RB, so that alone may warrant consideration, as it is a need at the moment depending on what you feel about the addition of Cadet.

Blount>Ridley

Everyone talking about how ridley is more talented, and i'm just sitting here watching blount break off another 45 yard run, while ridley gets taken down by another gust of wind.

Blount>Ridley

Everyone talking about how ridley is more talented, and i'm just sitting here watching blount break off another 45 yard run, while ridley gets taken down by another gust of wind.

Their skillsets are a bit different, I think.

Ridley seems to have been more consistent at being able to gain yardage both inside and outside of the tackles. Blount, while he breaks off the occasional big gainer, has struggled a bit more in the shorter yardage situations, and is probably not an "everydown" back in a traditional sense. He excels in situations where he's brought in later in the game to wear down the opponent, although he certainly shouldn't be pigeonholed strictly in that category either, as we've seen him do just fine earlier in the game at times.

Both are fine RBBC backs, in my opinion, but I feel as though Ridley is closer to being the bellcow as we saw in 2012---assuming that he doesn't have fumbling issues, of course. Whatever "gust of wind" you are watching take Ridley down must have been in the most recent year where he played in the first handful of games when the OL sucked, because he had consistent 4.4 and 4.3 YPC averages otherwise. He just didn't put up the bigger numbers in 2013 as he did in 2012 due to Belichick using more of a RBBC system that occurred from Ridley's fumbling/benching. He was on the exact same pace for another 1,300 season with 12+ touchdowns.

Blount>Ridley

You HAVE to be thinking of Vereen.
Rids' problem is that he can't break a long run. Yeah he breaks tackles at the LOS but he lacks the moves, or speed, or ability to break that 2nd or 3rd tackle for the big gainer. Rids is better than my man Blount whom I really like, at getting that guaranteed 2-3 yd 1st down on 3rd down. That's his game, get short yardage and avoid loss of yards.

I forgot about Moreno. Surprised hes still out there. I know he was injured for most of last year. But he had a great year in denver 2 years ago as a receiving back.

I wouldnt mind the pats giving him a look

If he goes to the Jets...lets hope he has fumbling issues ;)

IMHO, we need a running back to be the alternative to Blount as 1st and 2nd down back. We are fine on 3rd down with Cadet, White and even Bolden.

This back would compete for reps with Gaffney, Lewis and Gray. It is not clear that any will make the roster.

My BOTTOM LINE is that we have an open roster spot that could be filled by Gaffney, Lewis, Gray or a player TBD. Given how good this draft is at the RB position, I could see us drafting this RB anywhere in the first 101 picks.
========
With regard to Ridley, I'd be fine with him filling this roster spot. However, I think that BOTH Ridley and the patriots would rather move on.

I would be extremely happy if New England drafted TJ Yeldon to compete at RB. He could easily be a Ridley clone without the fumbling issues. In addition, having played at Alabama under Saban, he's familiar with the type of system the Patriots employ, and the terminology used.

I would be extremely happy if New England drafted TJ Yeldon to compete at RB. He could easily be a Ridley clone without the fumbling issues. In addition, having played at Alabama under Saban, he's familiar with the type of system the Patriots employ, and the terminology used.

Does that apply offensively, Gwedd? For some reason, I always linked Alabama's terminology to our defense, but you may have a good point since they do use a pro style offense. It's possible that I've been wrong when linking the two.

As yourself + others have noted, I'd be perfectly content with a RB selection early on (within the first 101 picks). I'd also be quite fine with Ridley returning for one more year just the same.

Does that apply offensively, Gwedd? For some reason, I always linked Alabama's terminology to our defense, but you may have a good point since they do use a pro style offense. It's possible that I've been wrong when linking the two.

As yourself + others have noted, I'd be perfectly content with a RB selection early on (within the first 101 picks). I'd also be quite fine with Ridley returning for one more year just the same.

Ask yourself why Brady uses the term "Alabama" for certain play checkdowns. :)

Offense and defense are quite similar to New England's, and downright eery when you watch their screen plays develop.

if Mehta's lips are moving then it must be Woody again...Mehta has proven to be a current version of Charlie McCarthy

Ridley was a great draft pick, tremendous value, and a real contributor. On a rookie contract, everything is gravy.

But there was never any question that BB would prefer to draft "another Ridley" than re-sign the original. Not only is the rookie more cost effective, but assuming Ridley eventually inks a deal with another team, we're due to get a Compensatory Selection for losing him, bringing our total in 2016 to 4 extra picks.

if Mehta's lips are moving then it must be Woody again...Mehta has proven to be a current version of Charlie McCarthy

Although I rated it as Funny, it is the sad truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes