PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ridley: "Tom Brady runs that organization"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can understand not wanting to count the final drive, but what is the reason for not wanting to count the safety?

If you do discount the final drive you end up with 2.13 which is still quite a ways off the season avg.

The safety call was an unprecedented panic move by the refs. It shouldn't have been called - and the possession ending up being 1 play because of it.

We have to count both b/c the only thing that doesn't count is the kneeldown - but I'm just saying looking more generally shows that sample size is why they only scored 17. Overall, they had their usual efficiency.

The safety call was an unprecedented panic move by the refs. It shouldn't have been called - and the possession ending up being 1 play because of it.

Sorry, but as much as it sucked that was the right call, Brady threw it away in the middle of the field with no-one anywhere near it. That was a really rare mental error by Brady and it hurt them bad. He did everything he could to make up for it and they almost won and you really can't ask for more than Brady and that team gave last season.

Sorry, but as much as it sucked that was the right call, Brady threw it away in the middle of the field with no-one anywhere near it. That was a really rare mental error by Brady and it hurt them bad. He did everything he could to make up for it and they almost won and you really can't ask for more than Brady and that team gave last season.

Watch the play again. He was stepping into that wind up before Mankins got tossed aside and Tuck was on him. That fact alone means it cannot be intentional grounding. His decision to toss that away happened before Tuck was in his grill.

The fact that Tuck hit him while he was releasing the ball turned out to be an unhappy coincidence that dramatically changed the course of the game.

It was a panic move by the refs who were afraid not to call it, and who were caught off guard by the play. Had they thought about it for .02 seconds and used the subjectivity that Intentional Grounding requires, they would've let the game go on.

It's painful to revisit, but its the most overlooked thing in the whole game. It was actually a bad call.

Last edited:

We have to count both b/c the only thing that doesn't count is the kneeldown - but I'm just saying looking more generally shows that sample size is why they only scored 17. Overall, they had their usual efficiency.
Getting rid of the outliers; I see now. Thanks for explaining your view.

Getting rid of the outliers; I see now. Thanks for explaining your view.

I'm not stats guy - but I'm guessing the smaller the sample size, the greater the effect of outliers. In football - that proves true in that one mistake in a game with only 16-18 possessions between two teams will decide the game.

And the long and short of my take on SB42 & SB46 was that both losses came down to lack of possessions. Giants shortened the game, shrunk the sample size, and so while the Patriots might've moved the ball efficiently - all it took was a couple key plays (Brady's INT, the safety, Patriots failing to capitalize on the Giants putting the ball on the ground) and the Giants won.

There are games - like the NFC Championship game - where you see twice as many possessions as was in SB46. And if there were, I have no doubt, the Patriots points-per-possession would've ended up closer to 3, and we put up 35-45 points on them. Defensively, our bend-don't-break is steady, and that would've hit its own norms. The result of the two is - more often than not - a Patriot victory. My belief that we're the better overall team is more likely to play out the "longer" (more possessions) the game is.

What it comes down to is our need for a defense that can get off the field and get the ball back to this offense with all its explosive playmakers.

I did it in another thread - but if you look at the defense's per possession statistics for that game, it basically ends up at what would amount to league worst averages for both points and yards, and I think the yards was by a drastic margin.

Last edited:
I'm not stats guy - but I'm guessing the smaller the sample size, the greater the effect of outliers. In football - that proves true in that one mistake in a game with only 16-18 possessions between two teams will decide the game.

And the long and short of my take on SB42 & SB46 was that both losses came down to lack of possessions. Giants shortened the game, shrunk the sample size, and so while the Patriots might've moved the ball efficiently - all it took was a couple key plays (Brady's INT, the safety, Patriots failing to capitalize on the Giants putting the ball on the ground) and the Giants won.

There are games - like the NFC Championship game - where you see twice as many possessions as was in SB46. And if there were, I have no doubt, the Patriots points-per-possession would've ended up closer to 3, and we put up 35-45 points on them. Defensively, our bend-don't-break is steady, and that would've hit its own norms. The result of the two is - more often than not - a Patriot victory. My belief that we're the better overall team is more likely to play out the "longer" (more possessions) the game is.

What it comes down to is our need for a defense that can get off the field and get the ball back to this offense with all its explosive playmakers.

I did it in another thread - but if you look at the defense's per possession statistics for that game, it basically ends up at what would amount to league worst averages for both points and yards, and I think the yards was by a drastic margin.

And to me that's the problem with the Bend-don't-Break these last few seasons. It benefits the team in the game with the worse offence! It was fine back in the day when the Pats' O was usually #2 or #1b in the game, but no longer. A smart team can do exactly what the Gints did twice, take what we give them, march, kill the clock, and with a little luck, win a disproportionate amount of time (for my liking ;) ). Just like WE did 3 times I might add. The surprising evolution of our offense has outpaced the D. Ideally, now we should be PRESSING with the D, lengthening the amount of plays our O gets. Yes, the points we give up on D will have more variation (to them, AND back to us as the result of TOs + field position), but play for play, we should overall have the larger advantage for the entire game. In defense of the Defense, you have to play to your personal, but that doesn't change the overall theory. I think BB has recognized this, and I fully expect that we will see a different D this season, has BB attempts to utilize a healthy squad with new faces more suited to attacking style. As even though it was painful sometimes to watch, it HAS been a rebuilding phase (nice time to be a Pats fan), and this should be the last piece of the puzzle and more importantly properly timed as well IMO.

[Response to BradyManny]

My take on your belief structure is that you begin with an axiom:

Brady is absolutely good.

That is a matter of faith. Once this matter of faith has been established, you then proceed rationally to construct a coherent view of "reality" resting upon that axiom.

Unfortunately, because your view of Brady is faith-based, any evidence that contradicts your original axiom does not compute, and you will use your rational powers to eliminate the apparent contradiction. In this case you chose to eliminate from statistical consideration the first drive of the game and the last drive of the game.

I personally do not subscribe to your axiom. My axiom is, "I want my 11 year old nephew to witness a Patriot SB title". We can call this "Axiom 1". Brady obviously occupies a central position in the web of belief unfolding from "Axiom 1", but it does not place him beyond rational analysis.

I believe Brady is a great quarterback, and the best chance the Pats have to win another title depends largely but not exclusively upon his performance. Therefore it is natural for Pats fans to rationally analyze his performance.

A Qb who has an elite ability to throw the ball, if given free rein by his organization, will tend to throw the ball as much as possible (see Marino). NFL history suggests that offenses which rely too heavily on the pass tend to be exposed and defeated against elite competition, especially in the playoffs. Therefore, a coaching staff should at times help an elite QB accomplish his ultimate goal (winning) by restraining him against his own instincts, by imposing offensive balance.

Knowledge of the exact run-pass proportion required for victory is a function as much of art as science; striking the proper balance requires awareness of in-game situations and genius from the play caller (see Weis, Charlie).

You can see that my apparent criticism of Brady is not really about Brady at all; it is really about the coaching staff and whether an overly pass-happy offensive philosophy truly sets Brady up for playoff success. Evidence accumulated over the past 7 years indicates it does not.

My nephew is too young to remember the titles before 2005. Watching the playoffs with him in recent years has been truly gut-wrenching. He has endured excitement, yes, and the satisfaction of some remarkable team-accomplishments. However, there is no denying the impact of these stomach-punch losses on him. I would like to see the Pats win one for him, and my criticisms have that one aim in mind.

Last edited:
[Response to BradyManny]

That is a matter of faith. Once this matter of faith has been established, you then proceed rationally to construct a coherent view of "reality" resting upon that axiom.

Unfortunately, because your view of Brady is faith-based, any evidence that contradicts your original axiom does not compute, and you will use your rational powers to eliminate the apparent contradiction. In this case you chose to eliminate from statistical consideration the first drive of the game and the last drive of the game.

I personally do not subscribe to your axiom. My axiom is, "I want my 11 year old nephew to witness a Patriot SB title". We can call this "Axiom 1". Brady obviously occupies a central position in the web of belief unfolding from "Axiom 1", but it does not place him beyond rational analysis.

I believe Brady is a great quarterback, and the best chance the Pats have to win another title depends largely but not exclusively upon his performance. Therefore it is natural for Pats fans to rationally analyze his performance.

A Qb who has an elite ability to throw the ball, if given free rein by his organization, will tend to throw the ball as much as possible (see Marino). NFL history suggests that offenses which rely too heavily on the pass tend to be exposed and defeated against elite competition, especially in the playoffs. Therefore, a coaching staff should at times help an elite QB accomplish his ultimate goal (winning) by restraining him against his own instincts, by imposing offensive balance.

Knowledge of the exact run-pass proportion required for victory is a function as much of art as science; striking the proper balance requires awareness of in-game situations and genius from the play caller (see Weis, Charlie).

You can see that my apparent criticism of Brady is not really about Brady at all; it is really about the coaching staff and whether an overly pass-happy offensive philosophy truly sets Brady up for playoff success. Evidence accumulated over the past 7 years indicates it does not.

My nephew is too young to remember the titles before 2005. Watching the playoffs with him in recent years has been truly gut-wrenching. He has endured excitement, yes, and the satisfaction of some remarkable team-accomplishments. However, there is no denying the impact of these stomach-punch losses on him. I would like to see the Pats win one for him, and my criticisms have that one aim in mind.

So your argument is basically that you have no reasonable argument.

[Response to BradyManny]

This post reminds me of The Puppy Who Lost His Way.

So your argument is basically that you have no reasonable argument.

Actually that is my criticism of your arguments. You use reason to justify an article of faith in a manner which is circular. You are the Aquinas of this message board, sainted by some, but in reality derivative and tedious.

Actually that is my criticism of your arguments. You use reason to justify an article of faith in a manner which is circular. You are the Aquinas of this message board, sainted by some, but in reality derivative and tedious.

And your follow up is to ignore the point being made in favor of an ad hominem approach. It seems that Slappy may well have been on to something...

We all would like to see this happen. Frankly, I think the two recent SB losses are more painful for the group who watched the first three - we have that burning desire to see those three validated in the eyes of our detractors since spygate. Some on this forum - guys like Deus or Mo - have the perspective, self-control to not let the haters bother them. I was not given that gift.

I recently said to a friend of mine - who is a diehard Sox fan and actually agreed with me - that the urgency and unhealthy obsession I have with the Patriots getting another in this Belichick/Brady era is like a condensed, pressure-cooked version of Sox nation's desire to break the 86 year curse. It just feels like something we need to witness as Pats fans who underwent the spygate crap - and there's a clock on this one that doesn't include our individual life spans.

We've all looked for reasons why this team has not been able to mirror its playoff success in the first half of the decade with the last - but SB46 is just further evidence that the discrepancies to the two come down not to performance by its players, but randomness.

Tuck rule. Kasay kicking it out of bounds. McNabb vomiting on himself in the same situation in which Manning stole two Super Bowls from us.

Contrast with Helmet Catch. Asante drop. Pierre Woods blowing a fumble. Welker-Brady misconnect. An injured Gronk vs. Blackburn on the Brady INT. Two NYG fumbles with no Patriots around.

These are the reasons the Patriots have gone ringless of late. Not because of the makeup of the team.

Just imagine for an instant that the Patriots won none of the first 3 Super Bowls - imagine how incredibly possible that was and how close that was to happening.

Now imagine the Patriots winning the last two Super Bowls, in addition to the one they would've won over the Bears had the Colts not won a freakish game wrought with terrible officiating in the 06 AFCCG. That's three Super Bowls on this side of the equation.

Imagine how easily the Patriots could've gone ringless until 2006, and have won three since. All it would take would be one play in each Super Bowl (or the one AFCCG I reference) and everything is reversed. Brady would be 10-2 since 2006 in the playoffs with three titles. Just think of that huge difference - and how without the offense performing any better or worse, that could have been realistically achieved.

Look - we'd all rather have a better defense and a better run game. But we don't have the personnel for it yet (I think we could on the defensive side now). Maybe Shane Vereen is the answer. Who knows. But there isn't a team in the league that has won the Super Bowl imposing its will on another team in the run game in a long time. The Super Bowl has been won by the team with the most offensive firepower in the passing game - Belichick caught on, the Patriots have excelled.

The fact that they haven't won - it's not worth drawing conclusions about. Let's look at Brady specifically. He threw a pick in the endzone vs. Carolina in the 4th yet it'd widely be considered his best SB game b/c of the numbers he piled up.

If the Patriots had won SB46, had Welker held on or if Brady throws that pass better, I would argue that game, with a record setting number of completions, with the longest TD drive in SB history, would've been his strongest performance. Yet now we remember it as more proof of the Giants owning him.

SB42, Brady drives down to take the lead against the Giants chewing up most of the 4th quarter clock to seal 19-0. If Asante catches the INT several plays later, that goes down as one of the all-time great drives. Now, it's nothing - a meaningless effort that serves no purpose but to painfully remind Patriot fans how close we were to something special.

The fundamental truth we've learned: in this era, unless the teams are really disparate in talent, Super Bowls have some real randomness that can play a huge role in the outcome. Get in and hope for the best.

Let's just hope the Pats get back and things fall their way.

Last edited:
[Response to BradyManny]

This post might be the single biggest waste of time that I've ever read on Patsfans. Usually, dumb posts are self-evidently dumb. For this one, I had to actually read a couple of paragraphs to realize that he had literally no argument to articulate.

To keep with your own theme, you're apparently the Kierkegaard of this forum, in that you seem to find some weird vindication in the fact that you don't even try to come from a rational place. You're the knight of faith in the name of the sacred run/pass ratio.

Last edited:
I think BB has recognized this, and I fully expect that we will see a different D this season, has BB attempts to utilize a healthy squad with new faces more suited to attacking style. As even though it was painful sometimes to watch, it HAS been a rebuilding phase (nice time to be a Pats fan), and this should be the last piece of the puzzle and more importantly properly timed as well IMO.

I agree completely. Very well said all around.

It's time for the defense to play the ball that supports the offense best - and that's getting the ball back to this offense. Getting off the field on 3rd down - and turning it over. It takes time to transition to rebuilding a team that can do that.

And I agree that the rebuilding is near complete. Right now, it may - or may not be - some solace that the Patriots would've merely stolen a title this past February before it was truly ready. Now it's ready.

Last edited:
[Response to BradyManny]

Wow, and all this time I was just thinking that it is what it is.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2011 DRIVE STATS

Last in yards, 21st in points, in in the bottom 10 in most stats besides turnovers.

I think we're seeing the same general things and simply coming to slightly different conclusions. If I'm reading you right it appears you thing the onus is mostly on the defense for allowing long possessions; resulting in fewer possessions and poor field position. While I do agree with that being a part of the problem I think the offense deserves a lot of blame. I'd like to have the same faith you do about the offense, but in my eyes we've now had 4 POs of this explosive offense with 8 games play and 6 outliers and 2 norms.

To me it seems like our offense has become very stubborn and expects to be able to do exactly what they want and will spend over half a game trying to impart its will on the opposing team. What's worse is even when/if they start to adapt it usually doesn't last for more than a drive. If you can slow down or stop the pats aerial attack game over because they'll refuse to nibble you to death with short throws and runs. What was lost on the Welker throw was that it was completely unnecessary, the Pats were picking the Giants apart. The old Pats actually force the Giants to stop them rather than trying to force a big play and stopping themselves.

Last in yards, 21st in points, in in the bottom 10 in most stats besides turnovers.

I think we're seeing the same general things and simply coming to slightly different conclusions. If I'm reading you right it appears you thing the onus is mostly on the defense for allowing long possessions; resulting in fewer possessions and poor field position. While I do agree with that being a part of the problem I think the offense deserves a lot of blame. I'd like to have the same faith you do about the offense, but in my eyes we've now had 4 POs of this explosive offense with 8 games play and 6 outliers and 2 norms.

To me it seems like our offense has become very stubborn and expects to be able to do exactly what they want and will spend over half a game trying to impart its will on the opposing team. What's worse is even when/if they start to adapt it usually doesn't last for more than a drive. If you can slow down or stop the pats aerial attack game over because they'll refuse to nibble you to death with short throws and runs. What was lost on the Welker throw was that it was completely unnecessary, the Pats were picking the Giants apart. The old Pats actually force the Giants to stop them rather than trying to force a big play and stopping themselves.

Some fair points - but re: Welker play, it's never unnecessary to take a wide open pass and catch when it's there for the taking. And let's not forget, they had been put into a 2nd and long with a negative first down play; the chance to move the sticks is worth it. As I've said recently in another thread - I think that was a huge play in that game (the Benny negative yardage). There are many more options on 2nd and 7 or so, and the likelihood of gaining a first down increases dramatically.

In considering the Patriots offensive performance of late - we have to consider level of competition. Those looking for the Patriots to replicate the regular season production in the cold months against the best defenses in the league are going to be disappointed. Of the recent SB victors - all with explosive offenses - Giants, Packers, Saints, Colts, none exactly lit it up with the exception of the Saints, who were playing indoors.

Briefly lets look at that for the heck of it...

Giants '11: 24, 37, 20* (OT), 21
Packers '10: 21, 48, 21, 31
Saints '09: 45, 31, 31
Steelers '08: 35, 23, 27
Giants '07: 24, 21, 23, 17
Colts '06: 23, 15, 38, 29

In each case (minus Saints in 09), we have one big game, the rest in the low twenties or below.

But to make the leap that our offense is not properly constructed, I can't follow you there. Whether we struggled to put up points vs. the Ravens in the AFCCG - a lesser explosive offense does not fare any better.

Keep the offense as is - address the hole at outside receiver and combine that offense with a defense that added some real potential at youth (Hightower, Jones, Wilson, Bequette) to an already improving young defense - and I think we'll see better all around team performances in the playoffs going forward. Again, the playoff performances you are referring to, the offensive production will look much better with a few more possessions in there, I feel confident about that.

Last edited:
...But to make the leap that our offense is not properly constructed, I can't follow you there. Whether we struggled to put up points vs. the Ravens in the AFCCG - a lesser explosive offense does not fare any better....

To look a bit deeper at this, the Ravens had held the Texans to 13 points just the week before and, in its final six games of the regular season, had held opponents to 16 points or fewer 5 times (6,10,10,34,14,16). The Giants run in the playoffs had seen that team allow 2 (Atlanta),20 (Green Bay) and 17 (SF) points in the games before the SB, and just 14 points in each of the last two games of the regular season.

The Patriots, with that terrible defense, were the equivalent of the one-legged man in an ass kicking contest, and they almost won anyway.

-Thomas Aquinas

Last edited:
And @thatllmovethechains, since you seem to know stats well and enjoy numbers, let me run this by you:

Number of possessions by Super Bowl, excluding kneeldowns at halfs, with OFFENSIVE points scored by winner (ie...I'm taking out the Hayden, Harrison, Porter and Collins pick 6's to make my point more clear...the fact that four of the last six SBs had pick 6's has to be some odd anomaly in and of itself):

SB46: 17 total possessions, 21 offensive points by victor
SB45: 22 total possessions, 24 offensive points by victor
SB44: 16 total possessions, 24 offensive points by victor
SB43: 19 total possessions, 24 offensive points by victor
SB42: 17 total possessions, 17 offensive points by victor
SB41: 28 total possessions, 23 offensive points by victor

The Patriots have played in two of the three "shortest" games in this span. The Saints-Colts game stacks up as a very similar game in a lot of respects, with two efficient offenses teams battling it out with long drives, only that got capped with a pick-6.

"The first time I met (Tom) Brady I told him, 'I'm Stevan Ridley," and he said, 'I know who you are. Glad to have you on the team and I look forward to working with you.' Tom Brady runs that organization. You have to be on Tom Brady's page."
Ridley returns home for fundraiser | Mississippi's Best Community Newspaper

I hope Ridley is on that page. I would like to see O-coordinator Brady call a few more running plays this season.

Big fan of 2nd and 9? We have Tom Friggin' Brady! We should do what we do best. Did you ever hear any ladies beg John Holmes to use his tongue?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back