PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ricky Williams' quotes and future. What about N.E.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as i admire Ricky Williams as a human being and a player, i cant see him helping our RB group we have. I really think its time to draft a future and young RB face of the Patriots. There is i believe 3-4 top RBs in this Draft, that will be there in the 2nd Round. My guess is we go that way.

Ricky dealing with the Boston media probably is not the best fit for both parties..

If we're going to talk about bringining in a Free Agen that will add some experience.. I believe Ronnie Brown is a FA and he might be a better fit. He should come cheap, he's never lived up to the hype of being the #2 pick in the draft..

BJGE is a vet and an unrestricted free agent. The only RB we have under contract for next year is Woodhead.
Benny is a RFA not a UFA. According to both RotoWorld and Miguel, anyway.

Last edited:
Sounds like too much of a prima donna to be a vet addition to the Pats. He wants a lot of touches. He doesn't want the coach to be too nasty. Etc.

He MIGHT fit -- he likes professionalism, winning, and a BB-like coach in Saban. But I doubt he's self-effacing enough to be a Patriot.

Even though he's clearly a better human being than Corey Dillon or Randy Moss, I'm not sure he'd fit the system even as long as they did.

Having lived in Austin during the Ricky Williams era, I'd disagree with you about his personality. He's an odd bird, but he's hardly an ego maniac (self-effacing?)

He's an independent thinker, painfully shy and a total horse who wants to be led and perform for a team.

His breakdown had to do with him being used like a plowhorse in Miami, since he would never complain about being over used.

I'm not big on older RBs right now, but i guarantee Williams is the type of player that would put a smile on BB's face. He wants to compete and excel and fulfill the wishes of the coach. You had to watch him punishing defenses at UT through the fourth quarter of games he'd already racked up 200+ yards. He'll run through walls for a coach and program he respects.

I think him and Kevin Faulk would get along great :)

I don't care for his knocking the coach and such, but Corey Dillon wasn't exactly a public relations delight either.

I could be wrong, of course, it's a long time since college, but Williams is a give me the ball, I'll run it type. He's not wanting to run the team.

Good players get frustrated at teams that implode and don't do it right, it would be up to BB to decide.

Not a chance. Never has shown leadership qualities. Treats football as a job...without passion. His baggage from his early years...anxiety issues, exodus from football, weed....all may be in his past, but why bring those stories into the locker room.

Have to disagree with you on most counts.

Ricky Williams will very likely get a look from the team this offseason. He is very much the type of player that the team will target...A veteran with still some gas in the tank...interdivisional pickup which the Patriots have shown time and time again that they favor. Can run/catch/block. A veteran looking for a chance to win a championship and will take less $$$ to catch onto the right team. He is much different person than he was in his early years. Speaking out about the breakdown in Miami IS an example of a leader speaking out about the problems that need to be addressed.

And with the Patriots history of taking on players who are good football players with some minor trouble....Yeah, I'd say that Ricky Williams is definately going to get looked at seriously this offseason.

Hell no i don't want RIcky here....The Law firm is young and has great upside for years and years to come

I'm a big Ricky fan. Could be a good replacement for Taylor as sbpatfan said or Morris (though Morris seems strong on STs these days). I will never understand why Miami didn't run more this year. Ronnie Brown is a beast and Ricky Williams is very solid.

i agree totally with you

Another vote for Williams.
I will never forget how he got stomped in the mud bowl vs the steelers.
That was as blatantly intentional as anything I ever saw.
Guy just flat out stomped on him.
Ended Williams season.
No flag, no mention from the league, no complaints from Ricky.

Kid is all heart, and coming in as a man who now knows he wasted precious time, sees the end, wants to win?

There should be room on the roster, Taylor is likely done?
There clearly was an expressed interest on his part, the direct reference to "look what is happening in NE".

Times are good for our olde town team. Nice problems to have.

Have to disagree with you on most counts.

Ricky Williams will very likely get a look from the team this offseason. He is very much the type of player that the team will target...A veteran with still some gas in the tank...interdivisional pickup which the Patriots have shown time and time again that they favor. Can run/catch/block. A veteran looking for a chance to win a championship and will take less $$$ to catch onto the right team. He is much different person than he was in his early years. Speaking out about the breakdown in Miami IS an example of a leader speaking out about the problems that need to be addressed.

And with the Patriots history of taking on players who are good football players with some minor trouble....Yeah, I'd say that Ricky Williams is definately going to get looked at seriously this offseason.

Good posting. I can absolutely see the team going into season with Benny & Woody, Ricky filling the vet Morris/Taylor role, and a rookie.

If you want to start looking ahead to free agent running backs other than those currently on the Pats roster, here's a list of some to consider:

DeAngelo Williams
Ahmad Bradshaw
Cedric Benson
Ronnie Brown
Ricky Williams
Michael Bush
Mewelde Moore
Cadillac Williams
Pierre Thomas
Leon Washington
Darren Sproles
Joseph Addai
Derrick Ward
Mike Tolbert
Willie Parker
Brian Westbrook
Tim Hightower
Mike Bell
Brandon Jackson
Jerome Harrison
Jerious Norwood
Mike Bell
Kevin Smith
Mike Hart
Patrick Cobbs
Danny Ware
Kenneth Darby
Michael Spurlock
Garrett Wolfe

And some who are more of a fullback than tailback:
Vonta Leach
Heath Evans
Le'Ron McLain
John Kuhn
Jason Snelling
Brian Leonard
Tony Richardson
Lawrence Vickers
Korey Hall
Naufahu Tahi
Ahmard Hall
Deon Anderson
Lex Hilliard
Jerome Felton
Marcel Reece

I was tempted to post Ricky's comments here as well when I first saw them, and also make a "sign the beast" suggestion.

BUT:
- Not exactly the type of guy we want in the locker room.
- 13 fumbles in the past 3 seasons.

EDIT: Let's sign Cadillac instead.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind John Kuhn for the right price. Benson is nice but I bet he gets good money somewhere. No to Ricky, lots of mileage on those legs, I'd rather spend a low round pick or another UDFA. The run game is already in good hands with BJGE/Woodhead so I don't think we're looking to make a splash there with one of the top picks.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind John Kuhn for the right price. Benson is nice but I bet he gets good money somewhere. No to Ricky, lots of mileage on those legs, I'd rather spend a low round pick or another UDFA. The run game is already in good hands with BJGE/Woodhead so I don't think we're looking to make a splash there with one of the top picks.

100% agree here. 6" 250lbs. Only 28.
What do the Pats love more than versatility?
Maybe hat and t-shirt games.

But Kuhn can do it all and is I guy I loved to hate when we played GB - he stood out. Kind of like Sammy Morris and Welker back when they were Dolphins. Plays the game the right way, runs, blocks, catches, special teams - and all that with fire and passion for the game. He also hurt us quite a bit... just like the ex-Dolphins.

Question is: does BB agree? Will Kuhn fit in our locker room? Can he pickup the Offense?

And yes I think Ricky would fit in here but chances are BB wants a more versatile bottom depth chart RB.

Last edited:
There's a lot of indicators that Ricky does not care enough about football to be the type of player the Patriots usually pick up.

Being relieved that the season is over, for instance. The Patriots make love of football a pretty high priority.

That being said I love Ricky because I think he's one of the few genuine good guys in the league. Just something about him.

But no, I don't want him here.

If you want to start looking ahead to free agent running backs other than those currently on the Pats roster, here's a list of some to consider:

DeAngelo Williams
Ahmad Bradshaw
Cedric Benson
Ronnie Brown
Ricky Williams
Michael Bush
Mewelde Moore
Cadillac Williams
Pierre Thomas
Leon Washington
Darren Sproles
Joseph Addai
Derrick Ward
Mike Tolbert
Willie Parker
Brian Westbrook
Tim Hightower
Mike Bell
Brandon Jackson
Jerome Harrison
Jerious Norwood
Mike Bell
Kevin Smith
Mike Hart
Patrick Cobbs
Danny Ware
Kenneth Darby
Michael Spurlock
Garrett Wolfe

And some who are more of a fullback than tailback:
Vonta Leach
Heath Evans
Le'Ron McLain
John Kuhn
Jason Snelling
Brian Leonard
Tony Richardson
Lawrence Vickers
Korey Hall
Naufahu Tahi
Ahmard Hall
Deon Anderson
Lex Hilliard
Jerome Felton
Marcel Reece

Are these all FAs or RFAs? Regardless, looks like a great offseason to go RB hunting.

These guys would be at the top of my list:

DeAngelo Williams
Ricky Williams
Michael Bush
Cadillac Williams
Pierre Thomas
Tim Hightower
Le'Ron McLain
John Kuhn
Brian Leonard

I probably like Bush the best of the bunch. Perfect complement to current stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back