PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ricky Williams fails drug test again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew there was something fishy when the Dolphins selected Booker in the 3rd round. I think Williams is done playing in the NFL.

According to the article he has a disease called social anxiety,which the medical people claim is a legit disease, often causing it's victims to self-medicate.
It also said people often fail during rehab-sometimes it takes several tries.
If all that is true then I cut him some slack but maybe his focus should switch from football to his own situation.

"but maybe his focus should switch from football to his own situation."

See, that's exactly what he did when he left Miami. He said he had only been playing football to make others happy, and it was an unhealthy situation for him. So he moved into a tent, and the Miami media and fans acted like he ate a baby with a knife and fork. Then, the Dolphins went after 8 million dollars they had paid him -- for breach of contract, a legitimate beef but one that they didn't have to take to the level they did -- and he had to come back to football to pay his bills.

The guy's sick. He's had serious issues for years. He likes to smoke pot, it helps him. People should get off his case.

(I feel like the guy's lawyer right now. I've said my piece.)

According to the article he has a disease called social anxiety,which the medical people claim is a legit disease, often causing it's victims to self-medicate.
It also said people often fail during rehab-sometimes it takes several tries.
If all that is true then I cut him some slack but maybe his focus should switch from football to his own situation.

I think that Ricky is very aware of "his own situation." That's why he does what he does. He wants to do something for him and his "spiritual being," fine by me.

"but maybe his focus should switch from football to his own situation."

See, that's exactly what he did when he left Miami. He said he had only been playing football to make others happy, and it was an unhealthy situation for him. So he moved into a tent, and the Miami media and fans acted like he ate a baby with a knife and fork. Then, the Dolphins went after 8 million dollars they had paid him -- for breach of contract, a legitimate beef but one that they didn't have to take to the level they did -- and he had to come back to football to pay his bills.

The guy's sick. He's had serious issues for years. He likes to smoke pot, it helps him. People should get off his case.

(I feel like the guy's lawyer right now. I've said my piece.)

Well,when an NFL player moves into a tent I can see where that would be news-call me crazy I know,but he had to know it might attract attention.

You're a f*cking d*ckhead. How's that?
Go back to your reefer and continue smoking away....your a joke,pathetic

Its easy tough boy to get behind your little typing skills and say things like that over a forum..say it to someones face and I am sure it will come out differently..now back to your doobie and simply shut up.

Last edited:
I guess I can never win an argument about the usage of Marijuana in long term over ones life

It seems as if most in here actually like the stuff - Oh Well we all can't like the same things..Whether its Legal or Illegal.

All I can say is I know a few people from high school who thought a bit of weed here and there was fine over a long period of time..About 75% of those same HS guys now at this time are in and out of drug rehab or are dead from other related drug issues - Including a friend of mine who was high on Marijuana driving 85 MPH and hitting a median,dead on impact - it was 1993 and she was only 22,Weed was found as the main substance in her system at the autopsy and the reason for her death.

Marijuana is illegal,just like any other drug on the street-many of you make it to be similar to smoking cigarettes.

I've never smoked weed, and almost never seriously considered doing same, for several reasons:

1. I'm asthmatic. The less I mess with my lungs, the better.
2. Illegal drugs have lesser quality control than legal ones. Weed that comes straight from the grower should be safe in that regard; still, I've never educated myself as to the exceptions to the "It should be safe" rule.
3. I happen to once have had a contact high, so some of my curiousity has been sated. (Back when my stepdaughter was holier-than-thou about drinking, I told her that I thought it was a GOOD thing to be drunk once or twice in one's life, just to understand other people better. She thought I was nuts. :) )

That said, I suspect that if weed were legal and booze illegal, the world would be safer and better place than with circumstances reversed. And I generally support the legalization of drugs, coupled with serious regulation and draconian penalties for things like DUI.

As for Ricky -- he's FAR from the Patriots' ideal of a disciplined guy to whom football is terrifically important. Indeed, that may even be an understatement. He's not for us.

Off course he isn't addicted. He doesn't have a compulsion to use. He just said, "Let's see, if I smoke this I will be caught because I'm being tested thre times a week. I will lose my chance at reinstatement in the NFL. I will not make a million dollars. Let's see. Marijuana or no career and money. I'll smoke it, but I'm not addicted. I could not do it if I didn't want to. I just want to."

You can call it an addiction, or a tendency, or a flummery. Call it what ever you want. He has no control over it. He cannot say no.

But he's not addicted.

Pfui.

You're wrong. I call it a lifestyle. I know a lot of people who think money isn't everything. I bet you the guys who own Craigslist smoke too. You have to wonder, why did they turn down hundreds of millions of dollars from Wall Street? Must be "addicted"? Eh? Maybe they smoke too.

Well,when an NFL player moves into a tent I can see where that would be news-call me crazy I know,but he had to know it might attract attention.

Why? What's wrong with spending a summer living in a tent? I've done it before. It was a good time.

Bad time for Ricky to get another failed drug test. Goodell is looking to lay down the law and he may use Ricky as an example. Williams may have played his last down as an NFL player.

Agreed-I don't think the NFL is going to tolerate much more,and given the recent surge of problems this is perhaps a bigger deal than it may have been a few years ago. As sad as it is to see talent like his go to waste,I think in the long run Goodell's overall stance will be good for the NFL. Most importantly it's an attempt to set a better example for kids.

Why? What's wrong with spending a summer living in a tent? I've done it before. It was a good time.

True. I once spent a summer in a love shack but nobody wrote about it-maybe that's the difference:cool:

I think you could merge this thread with the Ted Johnson one. Ricky has a mental illness and he's self medicating with pot. Although kicking him out of the league may temporarily solve their public relations issues, the NFL should try to help their players not abandon them.

I think you could merge this thread with the Ted Johnson one. Ricky has a mental illness and he's self medicating with pot. Although kicking him out of the league may temporarily solve their public relations issues, the NFL should try to help their players not abandon them.

ding ding ding

PS PAPatsFan, I'm sorry I called you that. Unnecessary and generally out of character for me.

This is old news. Ricky Williams, tested positive again... Ok I'm still waiting for the punch line to this continual joke. He's not playing in this league anytime soon. Especially with Goodell cracking down lately.

Yes, when it comes to Ricky Williams, I do. I think it's horrible the way the media has treated the guy, that 60 minutes piece where they call him a "freak" was outrageous to me. His post reminded me of that.

Ricky Williams has severe social anxiety disorder. I know people who struggle with it, and they are deeply unhappy and troubled people. He found that smoking marijuana helped make his life easier, and he's been crucified for it.

Worse than RANDY MOSS AND MICHAEL VICK!?!?

When did Ricky Williams flip off his fans, raise fighting dogs, or say "i play when i want to play?" You have to understand this about the kid, he's got mental issues. When he took off from the Dolphins, it was selfish but he felt like he needed to get out of the NFL for his own mental health. He was studying and living in a tent and relaxing, trying to work with his issues, and people acted like he had just killed someone or done some horrible harm to humanity. It's football, folks. This is a man's life. And if smoking marijuana helps him deal with his problems, more power to him. It's not cocaine or hallucinogens, all it does is mellow a person out and make them hungry. It's a joke that the stuff is even illegal.

I just can't stand moralizers. You don't know what the kid is going through, cut him a break.

That said, I apologize for calling you that. It was uncalled for.

Hey man, they pay their $200 for the sunday ticket. Don't you get it? It entitles them to be judge, jury, and executioner

Go back to your reefer and continue smoking away....your a joke,pathetic

Its easy tough boy to get behind your little typing skills and say things like that over a forum..say it to someones face and I am sure it will come out differently..now back to your doobie and simply shut up.

Easy killer. You come off like a tough guy know-it-all, too.

Listen,

For the high and mighty.. Weed is a plant. Like lettuce, mustard, and tomatoes. Regardless of what you think God is, and the morality you base your relationship with Him, to judge another is the epitome of stupidity.

Ricky is a lost kid, thrust into your limelight because he is big, fast, and strong. He can run a football like nobody's business. Except, in mentality, he's like your daughter. He likes photography, butterflies, the beach, and music.

You're mad because he's "wasting" an opportunity you've never had. Give the kid a ******* break.

PS: When he did suck it up and did it, he gained 1800 yards.

Last edited:
This is old news. Ricky Williams, tested positive again... Ok I'm still waiting for the punch line to this continual joke. He's not playing in this league anytime soon. Especially with Goodell cracking down lately.

And?

10 characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes