Welcome to PatsFans.com

Ricky W. ???

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by wrangler, May 28, 2006.

1. wrangler

wrangler Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Am I late or early?

Just saw that Ricky Williams to sign with the CFL.
  2. Zuma

Zuma Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Right on time...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2461281

Williams agrees to deal to play for CFL's Argonauts

Ricky Williams has agreed to a one-year contract for $240,000 to play for the CFL's Toronto Argonauts this season, ESPN.com's John Clayton has learned.

[​IMG]
    Ricky Williams
    Running Back
    Miami Dolphins

Williams will not have an option with the team and will be able to return to the Dolphins next season.

The Argonauts have called a 4:30 p.m. ET news conference to announce a "major signing." Team officials wouldn't confirm that Williams' signing would be announced, but he was shown on the Rogers Center videoboard at the White Sox-Blue Jays game Sunday wearing a Toronto Argonauts hat and was introduced as the team's newest player.
  3. wrangler

wrangler Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Looks like he wants to stay in shape for next year maybe?

Or needs to feed his hab........family? :D
  4. bbaptiste

bbaptiste Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Dude, that's unnecessary. Ricky is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet in Sports. Speaking of his family, his daughter Marley lives in Boston so Ricky is always up in Boston.

Personally, as someone who moved to Toronto two months ago from Boston, I'm pysched that Ricky is coming here. In fact, I'm going to the Argonauts game this Friday.

Run Ricky Run!!
  5. Alk

Alk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Ricky is going to tear the CFL to pieces. Every rushing record should be completely shattered by the time he's done up there.
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +264 / 10 / -26

Will the opening anthem, be "O Cannabis"??? Got that from Pro Football Talk, cannot claim originality for that one.
  7. Digger44

Digger44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

pppppppppaaaaaahaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  8. Alk

Alk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I wouldn't claim it anyway. Pretty weak.
  9. Tyler Faith

Tyler Faith Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I gotta admit, my man being a Phins fan and all, I was forced to watch Ricky last year and even though it was so much fun layin' down the weed jokes and to mock his appearance as he looked like a homeless dude...he really is a damn good player. Why are so many of the elite athletes so bizarre or wacky? Then again, I guess the same could be said about Hollywood actors and musicians. I guess if you spend your life always being rewarded for your natural abilities, you need some kind of odd or negative attention to balance it.

If Ricky doesn't get hurt in Toronto, he'll be back next year and probably has a couple of 1000 yard seasons in him if he can stay away from the drugs. Will he go back to Miami? I guess that depends on how well Ronnie does. If Ronnie has a break out season, the Phins will trade Ricky away for something good. If Ronnie can't carry all the load, like I suspect, they'll go back to the shared role they did last year.
  10. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

I never had anything against Ricky W. In his prime (in 2002) he was awesome to watch and a warrior. He suffered from some kind of panic syndrome, or he had a phobia of people. I remember a story that he was afraid to even get his mail because he didn't want to see his neighbor. I don't think he was spoiled as much as he had some kind of real psychological problem and needed help. Obviously he either didn't get it or it didn't work. Also, Earl Campbell, the great Oiler Rb in the 70s had a similar psychological problem, a panic syndrome. Maybe it helped him run faster during games.
  11. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

re

He seems like a nice, shy person with a severe social anxiety problem. Remember when he only gave interviews with his helmet and black visor thingy on so you couldn't see his face? His panic problem is probably the reason why he turned to pot in the first place, to calm him down.
  12. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

NFL | Theismann weighs in on R. Williams
    Tue, 30 May 2006 09:46:07 -0700

ESPN.com reports former CFL and NFL QB Joe Theismann has weighed in on RB Ricky Williams signing with the Toronto Argonauts of the CFL. Theismann said he was "embarrassed right now to be a Toronto Argonaut" in an interview with ESPN Radio's Colin Cowherd. "I don't ever want to be mentioned in the same breath as Ricky Williams as a football player. He's a disgrace to the game. The man doesn't deserve to play football. He should go on with his life and treat his drug addictions or go do whatever he wants to do. He's been suspended from the National Football League on multiple occasions. Doesn't anybody have any class anywhere? For gosh sakes, let the kid go do what he wants to do. He doesn't want to play football," Theismann, who is part of ESPN's Monday Night Football announcing crew, said.
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2463035
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2005
  13. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +168 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

Do you think that the Patriots might be interested in trading for him next year?

Just wanted to get hat in before someone else does.
  14. Digger44

Digger44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

news flash......ever think the pot was the cause and not the result?
  15. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Many individuals with Social Anxiety Disorder report that cannabis greatly reduces their symptoms without the plethora of side effects that come with the man-made pharmaceuticals. Is it possible that pot was the cause? Hell, anything's possible, but it seems highly unlikely. JMHO.
  16. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

I remember reading that Ricky was doing fine, off the herb etc, until one dire event: the vicious beating he took in Miami's 12-0 defeat to the Pats in December '03. Apparently after this game he went right back on pot. So you can credit Rodney in part for the Williams collapse...
  17. Digger44

Digger44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

There is just as much likelyhood that he has damaged his brain from drugs as he has a personality disorder. Nobody knows how long he has been on drugs, and he has been quirky from day 1. He is the one that knows. I can't stand the Ricky Victim story (not saying you said that). He needs to take responsibility for his actions. He hasn't yet either. There has been no apology for his behavior.
  18. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I agree wholeheartedly, he needs to take responsibility for his actions. And you're right, I'm certainly not in the 'Ricky is a Victim' crowd. However, I disagree that there is "just as much likelyhood that he has damaged his brain from drugs", if we're talking about that drug being cannabis and only cannabis (however, none of us really know his history of drug use, so it's almost a moot point).
  19. Digger44

Digger44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I had a friend who is now deceased who played TE for Miami (George Macintosh). He was clipped and blew out his knee. Never played again, got a nfl settlement. He said even in the early to mid 90's MaryJ was not the drug of choice becuase it couldn't take the pain away after the game. It was recreational. George, and his crowd took coke to dull the pain. Of coarse, that is addictive and damaging. So, who knows what Ricky played with if he is so open about MaryJ.
  20. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well said. Ricky is not a victim by any means. He broke the rules and is being punished, but I, for one, am disapointed that he will not be in NFL this year as I have always enjoyed watching him play and got a kick out of the fact that he was a little different than most of his peers.

I just find it ironic that if he continued to take paxil, welbutrin, zoloft, kolonopin, lithium, prozac or whatever he was treating his social anxiety disorder with, he would probably still be playing in the NFL. But becuse he smoked pot he is not allowed to play. Which of those do you think has the most long term side effects?