PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rick Reilly Is A Joke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reilly is a tool. Sports Illustrated sucks, as does ESPN! Anyone want to start a Sports Media Conglomerate? These guys have a friggin' monopoly!

Actually, Richard Seymour is the head stomper. Meriweather is the hamstring stomper

He's also a helmet swinger. It's not like this is the only thing Brandon has done wrong. I played against him in high school and he was a punk.

Do I think he can and maybe already has turned it around? Definitely.
Do I think he's one hell of a football player? Definitely.
Am I glad we drafted him? Yes.

He's also a helmet swinger. It's not like this is the only thing Brandon has done wrong. I played against him in high school and he was a punk.

Do I think he can and maybe already has turned it around? Definitely.
Do I think he's one hell of a football player? Definitely.
Am I glad we drafted him? Yes.

Do we have to take your word for him being a helmet swinger, or do you have evidence of this?

Do we have to take your word for him being a helmet swinger, or do you have evidence of this?

Wasn't he waving his helmet around too or was that someone else?

EDIT: Sorry, that was the other safety, Anthony Reddick.

Last edited:
Wasn't he waving his helmet around too or was that someone else?

EDIT: Sorry, that was the other safety, Anthony Reddick.

Genius! You've played against him, yet you don't even know which one he is:rolleyes:

Genius! You've played against him, yet you don't even know which one he is:rolleyes:

I hadn't seen the fight in months. And besides people look a little different 4 years later with a helmet on.

Last edited:
I played against him in high school and he was a punk.
Damn that Pioli and Belichick they should have talked to you first :rolleyes:

Don't you think that they talked to a LOT of people who have interacted with him a lot closer than you and determined that he's not a big risk ? That's what Mortensen said most teams did.

But you played against him in high school . . . BFD.

A lot depends on when he won those. Reilly hasn't always been like this. He has adapted to a change in media. Some writers continue to do their old job (conventional reporting) while others have taken on the role of personality.

I can't be the only one who used to start reading SI by flipping the back cover open to read Reilly. The guy is a good writer and has a nose for interesting stories.

He might still write great columns for all I know, I just personally can't get past his new persona and bother to read him.

Bill Simmons surpassed Reilly as the voice of the Fan years ago and Reilly has made multiple attempts to reinvent himself since. The explosion of the internet and the emergence of "blogging" has relegated his "conscience of the fan" niche into JAG status. His guest appearances on the Dan Patrick Show are pathetic as are his video rants on SI.com. Reilly has become irrelevant and his views should be placed in the "so what" pile. It's all about shock value now in order to get noticed...see Felger

On top of that, most of these media geeks feel the Pats are old news. They want a new kid on the block. Reilly is also playing for Greenberg, who he knows is an avid Jets fan. Greenberg will spend between now and the first Jets-Pats game trying to discredit the Pats in any way. This is the only way he can get any satisfaction, as he knows in his heart that the Pats just made a major leap ahead in team strength, and it's got to be driving him crazy.

Reilly feeds into this by knocking the Pats, because it is now vogue to do so. He's a bandwagon journalist who will write what he thinks readers and listeners want to hear. Truth is not a word in his dictionary.

That being said, the vast majority of the NFL talking heads appear to think that the Pats have become the team to beat. Remember, that team was San Diego not too long ago, and it's all on paper.

The only time when any of this matters is when the games count. Until then, we're going to hear and read some unbelievable stuff.

Damn that Pioli and Belichick they should have talked to you first :rolleyes:

Don't you think that they talked to a LOT of people who have interacted with him a lot closer than you and determined that he's not a big risk ? That's what Mortensen said most teams did.

But you played against him in high school . . . BFD.

Are you guys even reading? I LIKE the pick. All I'm saying is that he has character issues. How can you say he doesn't?

Are you guys even reading? I LIKE the pick. All I'm saying is that he has character issues. How can you say he doesn't?

All I'm saying is that I call BS, when it comes to your even knowing the guy.

Given this, Reilly should have many job opportunities in the Boston media

Hell, how about the national media? Regard for the facts hasn't been high on the mainstream media's priority list for some time now. The big, little and middle-sized lie are just the way it is now.

I know. I know. Wrong forum.

I can criticize Merriweather for the brawl, but I can't criticize him for the gun incident.

If i lived in an area that has gone way down (the area around U M), I'd beware.

If not one but two players on my Team were shot and one killed, in separate incidents,in the same few months, I suspect that there were other non fatal scary incidents as well.

I think I'd consider buying and registering a gun too.

I find it supercilious for dogooders who live in nice, safe areas to denigrate defending yourself. I don't own a gun, but if I had to work as a inner city cabbie or a clerk in all night 7-11, I might well go out and purchase one, register it, learn how to use it, just in case.

Remember, these are the same "body language" idiots who said the Pats weren't a playoff team at the beginning of last year. Remember how we were going to get trashed in Cincy? Who pays attention to sports writers at this point, they're all morons. Hunter Thompson why did you leave us!?

All I'm saying is that I call BS, when it comes to your even knowing the guy.

and I never said I knew him. I said I played against him. He constantly talked trash(which is fine, I talked too, the difference is he backed it up and his team won 38-13).

and I never said I knew him. I said I played against him. He constantly talked trash(which is fine, I talked too, the difference is he backed it up and his team won 38-13).

I remember hearing about the reputation of other teams' players in high school. Don't think I ever heard of opposing players going into the community and fixing up bad parts of town, but diffinately heard about players' mean streaks, cheap shot tendencies and a few off field issues. At that age, we were all punks and I had a few cheap shot tendencies. But wait, I'm the guy that would get my registered gun if someone was shooting at my roommate at my home and protect myself.

I was just watching a little bit of Mike and Mike.

Rick Reilly was being interviewed via telephone. Reilly called Meriweather a "head stomper", then he said something about Meriweather "Returning fire!" then said something about this not being "the wild west", and "He's returning fire in a club!". Reilly then called Meriweather a thug, and said Meriweather was "one of the three worst guy's" coming out (character wise). He was completely disgusted with the move.

Reilly then went off about Randy Moss calling him a "lockerroom cancer!". Reilly said bringing in Moss is the reason NE will not win the SB, since he destroys lockerrooms. Reilly also said that Moss doesn't have his talent anymore, and he's clearly lost a step.

Here's a question for this genius Rick Reilly, how was Meriweather returning fire in a club when the incident took place at his house? I also like that he makes no mention of it being an assailante who didn't just shoot at him, but actually shot his roommate!

Prime example of the media not researching what they talk about. I guess spouting off without any regard for the actually facts is what gets ratings....
What I am suprised about is that you actually listened through this chump's rants?

Also on Mike & Mike today someone (might have been Theismann) mentioned that being a locker room cancer has never been Moss's thing. He does his own thing, but he's never been accused of tearing a team apart.

Rick Reilly has written some of the greatest pieces I've read. The one about four different athletes, and what do they all have in common? All soldiers in Iraq that were killed. It was a great, great piece. Some are duds (the billionaire cheerleader mom chasing her dreams, gag me :rolleyes: ), but some are just great writing. I hope someone saves him from himself if he is going to try to play the uninformed cantankerous role previously played by most of the Boston media :mad:

Rick Reilly has written some of the greatest pieces I've read. The one about four different athletes, and what do they all have in common? All soldiers in Iraq that were killed. It was a great, great piece. Some are duds (the billionaire cheerleader mom chasing her dreams, gag me :rolleyes: ), but some are just great writing. I hope someone saves him from himself if he is going to try to play the uninformed cantankerous role previously played by most of the Boston media :mad:

He's a much better writer than he is an interviewee, I've noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes