PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rick Reilly Is A Joke

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebman2112

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I was just watching a little bit of Mike and Mike.

Rick Reilly was being interviewed via telephone. Reilly called Meriweather a "head stomper", then he said something about Meriweather "Returning fire!" then said something about this not being "the wild west", and "He's returning fire in a club!". Reilly then called Meriweather a thug, and said Meriweather was "one of the three worst guy's" coming out (character wise). He was completely disgusted with the move.

Reilly then went off about Randy Moss calling him a "lockerroom cancer!". Reilly said bringing in Moss is the reason NE will not win the SB, since he destroys lockerrooms. Reilly also said that Moss doesn't have his talent anymore, and he's clearly lost a step.

Here's a question for this genius Rick Reilly, how was Meriweather returning fire in a club when the incident took place at his house? I also like that he makes no mention of it being an assailante who didn't just shoot at him, but actually shot his roommate!

Prime example of the media not researching what they talk about. I guess spouting off without any regard for the actually facts is what gets ratings....

Last edited:
Can we compiled a list of idiots so we can make fun of them 1 year from now?

Given this, Reilly should have many job opportunities in the Boston media

Wow i'm just surprised the Boston media hasnt tried hiring him yet.

Yeah I saw that. I don't know enough about Meriweather to say that he is definitely off-base but the fact the Pats met with him 3 times and I would venture to guess that Reilly has never met him so his opinion is far less credible.

As for Randy (aka Randall) Moss, I can understand if someone wants to say that Moss is not the Pro Bowl player he once was but there is huge middle ground for a $3M/yr receiver that he could very likely be worth so saying that it is a terrible mistake is not very well thought out.

Last edited:
FWIW, I heard Mortensen on ESPN radio yesterday and he said that most teams he talked to had few concerns about Meriweather's character.

Yeah I saw that. I don't know enough about Meriweather to say that he is definitely off-base but the fact the Pats met with him 3 times and I would venture to guess that Reilly has never met him so his opinion is far less credible.

As for Randy (aka Randall) Moss, I can understand if someone wants to say that Moss is not the Pro Bowl player he once was but there is huge middle ground for a $3M/yr receiver that he could very likely be worth so saying that it is a terrible mistake is not very well thought out.

I can tell you he's off-base. Reilly said the shooting incident took place "at a club", and that's a complete and total lie. It was at the home Meriweather and Willie Cooper rented from their defensive backs coach.

Last edited:
FWIW, I heard Mortensen on ESPN radio yesterday and he said that most teams he talked to had few concerns about Meriweather's character.

Exactly! The Cowboys were going to draft him if they hadn't received that very good trade offer, and very reliable sources claim the Eagles were going to draft Meriweather at 26 if NE hadn't drafted him. That's the reason they traded out of the pick.

Reilly is a personality, like the hacks who work for espn and most of the boston sports media. Accuracy and reasoning is secondary to getting a reaction and entertaining.

What do you expect?

the Pats haters are just using this to spew their venom. The globe has been all over us for the moves we have made. We will be laughing next year at the Super bowl party. I have never seen a local media so against a team in my life...and now it has spilled over to the national media. They all just want the Pats to go away.

Last edited:
Reilly is a personality, like the hacks who work for espn and most of the boston sports media. Accuracy and reasoning is secondary to getting a reaction and entertaining.

What do you expect?

How does a guy like that win the "National Sports Writer Of The Year" award, nine times?

This is what happens when you're on top for a while, everyone tries their best to knock you down. They invented the "Patriots mistique" and invented what they think the Patriots are about and then they turn around and bash them for standards that they invented in the first place.

What's wrong with calling him a head stomper? That's exactly what he did. I think he's going to turn it around and be good for us, but you still can't erase the past.

Last edited:
How does a guy like that win the "National Sports Writer Of The Year" award, nine times?

A lot depends on when he won those. Reilly hasn't always been like this. He has adapted to a change in media. Some writers continue to do their old job (conventional reporting) while others have taken on the role of personality.

I can't be the only one who used to start reading SI by flipping the back cover open to read Reilly. The guy is a good writer and has a nose for interesting stories.

He might still write great columns for all I know, I just personally can't get past his new persona and bother to read him.

What's wrong with calling him a head stomper? That's exactly what he did. I think he's going to turn it around and be good for us, but you still can't erase the past.
Doing something one time doesn't define who you are.

Actually, Richard Seymour is the head stomper. Meriweather is the hamstring stomper

Reilly said bringing in Moss is the reason NE will not win the SB, since he destroys lockerrooms. Reilly also said that Meriweather doesn't have his talent anymore, and he's clearly lost a step.

I think you meant Moss and not Meriweather, but legit mistake.

Heard the interview and found Reilly repulsive. As you have mentioned, the shooting was not at a club. Right off the bat, his comments are called into question. As a writer, you have to come correct or people won't subscride your thoughts without reservations of legitimacy. Honesty in journalism?

Whatever, fair mistake.... but no second chance for you Mr. Reilly! Just like you don't give Moss or Meriweather a second chance!

How can any argue with the fact that Moss did little with the Raiders?

Kerry Collins. Andrew Walter. Marques Tuiosisopo (sp). Aaron Brooks.

Do you think any wide out could have a 1000 yard season with those guys? Maybe when Brooks and Collins were younger. Maybe if Walter was standing up.

Guess Tom Brady is just as good as those guys according to tRick Reilly.

Reilly said bringing in Moss is the reason NE will not win the SB, since he destroys lockerrooms. Reilly also said that Meriweather doesn't have his talent anymore, and he's clearly lost a step.

I think you meant Moss and not Meriweather, but legit mistake.

Heard the interview and found Reilly repulsive. As you have mentioned, the shooting was not at a club. Right off the bat, his comments are called into question. As a writer, you have to come correct or people won't subscride your thoughts without reservations of legitimacy. Honesty in journalism?

Whatever, fair mistake.... but no second chance for you Mr. Reilly! Just like you don't give Moss or Meriweather a second chance!

How can any argue with the fact that Moss did little with the Raiders?

Kerry Collins. Andrew Walter. Marques Tuiosisopo (sp). Aaron Brooks.

Do you think any wide out could have a 1000 yard season with those guys? Maybe when Brooks and Collins were younger. Maybe if Walter was standing up.

Guess Tom Brady is just as good as those guys according to tRick Reilly.

Sorry, I fixed it. For those reading that was supposed state Reilly said Moss has lost his talent and lost a step. Again, sorry.

Reilly also said Moss did little in Oakland. He also tried to completely dismiss that Oakland's allowing 72 sacks in '06, and some of the injuries Moss had might just have effected his production. I like how he claims Moss has clearly lost a step. I was just watching some highlights of Moss while in Oakland, and his completely burning Adrian Wilson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes