PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rick Gosselin loves Patriots draft !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gosselin certainly makes the rational case for making it his opinion, too.

The only thing I could have suggested to improve it, was to take a flyer on red-shirt Pitt OLB Greg Romeus, 6'5", 260, 4.6ish with the 7th rounder.

But the critics would then grouse that BB drafted a hospital ward... :rolleyes:

The only thing I could have suggested to improve it, was to take a flyer on red-shirt Pitt OLB Greg Romeus, 6'5", 260, 4.6ish with the 7th rounder.

Was he drafted?

Agreed. I would have loved to see them take a flyer on him. At that point they are gambling anyways and they have shown no reluctance to go that route with player's like Tate in the past.

Gosselin nails it, pretty much echoes my sentiment that this is a Lock out draft, in that some of these players are developmental and do not have to contribute immediately. Nice if they do, but the possibility of them doing so is minimized by the lack of Rookie Camp, OTA's, becoming familiar with the culture of the NFL/Patriots and probably a late or shortened Training Camp.

This is a very good draft on paper.

Cannot imagine how some of the newly drafted QB's will be ready for football in September with all of missed steps.

Last edited:
Really love that article and I hope more people read it. I also hope people realize that the Patriots chose FIVE players in the top 75 of this year's draft. BB's 'wheeling and dealing' allows this to happen year after year and puts his team in the best position to win. Next year the Pats will also enjoy the advantage of having TWO 1st and TWO 2nd round picks.

I went back and looked up some of the Pats picks in a few 2011 draft magazines. With most upper picks, the Pats selected either a top 5 or top 10 player rated at their position. Mallet, Solder, Vereen, Lee and Dowling come to mind.

Thanks for the info Crowell.. like others here and nationally, Gosselin is one of the best in the business. And I agree we had a good draft.. Still have concerns about the lack of pass rush and amt of injuries Ras has had.

Amount of injuries Ras has had = 1, maybe 2.

Great read, and I mostly agree with it. Like everyone else, I would have loved to have seen OLB and DE upgraded, but drafting would have addressed that for 2012, not 2011. Instead of griping over what we didn't get, I'd rather note that we got players at important and/or need positions who were premium talents for where they were drafted. This draft is likely to yield 3-4 starters, and if it pans out that way, then it will be hard not to call it a success, no matter how much an OLB pick would have been nice.

I went back and looked up some of the Pats picks in a few 2011 draft magazines. With most upper picks, the Pats selected either a top 5 or top 10 player rated at their position. Mallet, Solder, Vereen, Lee and Dowling come to mind.

Agree 100 percent.

Did it ever occur to anyone that the OLB talent in this draft might have just plain sucked? Not like BB knows anything about stud OLB's or anything. :rolleyes:

Did it ever occur to anyone that the OLB talent in this draft might have just plain sucked?

I thought so (and said so) before the draft. :confused2: The 2 Pittburgh DEs were just about the only ones who tempted me. But Romeus falling to the 7th says that medical staffs around the league gave him the thumbs down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye