PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Richie Incognito on Goodell & Wells

Status
Not open for further replies.

Username

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Really wish more current players would speak up! But I do like that he's been through this and points out things were left out of the "independent Well's investigation " that would have helped him. Kind of shows a pattern.

Yeah, I think Incognito might be the one person who best understands Brady's situation, even more so than Vilma. He was painted as basically "the bully" who did everything wrong and was just pure evil. All, as is the same here, based on out-of-context text messages.

There were people here saying Incognito should be banned for life from the NFL because of `locker room bullying.` Now the shoe is on the other foot, and he's publicly defending Tom.

For `bullying` you wanted him banned

There were people here saying Incognito should be banned for life from the NFL because of `locker room bullying.` Now the shoe is on the other foot, and he's publicly defending Tom.

Not me, I have felt Goddell has way to much power and have never understood how it's fair for the one who hands out the punishment to be the one who hears the appeal. Felt that way way before this with Brady, but definitely feel stronger about it now!

I don't think the two situations were the same.

In Brady's case there is furious disagreement about almost every fact. In Incognito's case, however, there is pretty good agreement on the facts, and furious disagreement about the interpretation. What I mean is that there's agreement that:
  • A considerable amount of douchery is common in locker rooms.
  • Incognito went somewhat further than the norm.
  • Martin flipped out in response.
and based on those agreed facts, there are strong differences of opinion as to whether Incognito did a lot, a little, or nothing at all wrong.

(Of course, that's oversimplification, because everybody agrees there were multiple causes for Martin's bad state of mind, with much of the disagreement being about how to weight them. But I think it's close enough to accurate for most purposes.)

Last edited:
I never like how Incognito was treated or the conclusions drawn about him. I lived in a fraternity house in college and saw similar behavior all the time. Guys would say the most vile, offensive things to each other, but it was meant as camaraderie rather than bullying.

When guys socialize, they insult each other, but don't mean it. In an environment like an NFL football team, that is going to escalate quite a bit. He had many teammates vouching for him. Martin seemed to me to be the one with the issues.

Wells doesn't seem to understand how people interact as you can see from his inferences from McNally and Jastremski's concersations. Or he is a dishonest investigator with malicious intentions.

Really wish more current players would speak up! But I do like that he's been through this and points out things were left out of the "independent Well's investigation " that would have helped him. Kind of shows a pattern.

Incognito's coach; Jim Turner made the same claims as Incognito several months ago. He thought the Wells investigation was a fraud

The problem is too many people bought off on Incgnito's railroading because Incognito looked like an unmistakeable bad guy. But the problem with being ok with railroading someone who is unlikeable is?? Anyone? Anyone?? Yea, you guessed it.....you get something like deflategate. It is a natural progression for a powerful entity to create something like deflategate when that entity is allowed to railroad even an unlikeable character.
Fortunately, even if the NFL wins this round with Brady, they have a paid some toll for their appalling behavior. This may keep it from happening so easily next time (and that next time could be what team/team's player? Anyone? Anyone?? You guessed it....the new england patriots).

I didn't. That whole situation was as ridiculous as anything I've ever seen on this forum. I literally gut laughed at a few of the posts in that thread. His punishment, much like Tom's, was way over the top. But that's been Goodell's trademark. He will go down as the worst commissioner in the history of American sports when he's done.

I thought the whole thing was ridiculous.

Another " Man" who is also happens to be an NFL player cannot stand up and defend himself? Football is a damn game where you overpower the opposition.

I remember this. The NFL narrative on this was that Incognito was second to Son Of Sam for what he had done. The NFL excluded not just testimony but other documents as well.

Bullying is never ok but gee whiz...this is the NFL....

I never thought Incognito should be banned, but I thought he should be punished because I took the NFL at its word at the time. A naive mistake I have no intention of repeating, even if they started railroading the Jets (as fun as that would be).

Incognito's coach; Jim Turner made the same claims as Incognito several months ago. He thought the Wells investigation was a fraud

He was on WEEI and said that he told Wells during his interview that Jonathan Martin had made suicidal comments to him long before Incognito started "bullying" him

That would've been pretty significant information in determining Martin's overall frame of mind

But this information was never included in Wells' report about Incognito's case. Clearly it didn't fit the predetermined outcome that The NFL wanted

Adam Schefter ✔ @AdamSchefter
Former Dolphins OL coach Jim Turner is filing a defamation lawsuit in Florida against Ted Wells for Wells Report in Feb 2014, per source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots