PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Richard Sherman to become NFL's highest paid CB?

On the open market, he would absolutely make $12M+, so unless he decides that he wants to take less to help keep the core together in Seattle, I expect that that's what he'll get. Between Harvin's salary and locking up Wilson, Thomas, and Sherman, we're going to see a lot of premium talent leaving Seattle over these next couple of seasons.

As for how that pertains to Revis... well, Sherman is better and younger than Revis. If they're both chasing top dollar, Sherman will get more. Revis doesn't necessarily have to accept that, granted, but it's just what's going to happen.
I'm not convinced he's better than Revis when they're both healthy. For starters, Sherman doesn't always tail the other team's best WR the entire game like Revis does (and Talib did). That said, he's still a top two CB in the game and deserves to get paid as such. It'll be interesting, going forward, to watch Seattle's GM and how he handles things when the bills come due for the likes Wilson, Thomas, Sherman, etc. It'll also be interesting to see if the team continues to hit it out of the park during the draft process now that Carroll is starting to get into draft classes of guys that he didn't scout when they were in high school.

The market is always up and down, last year was down, this year is way up for CB's and a totally misery for RB's. I expect Sherman to get his deal done with the market still tending up but we never know, a Revis bad year and offenses getting one of the top CB's (Grimes, Talib, Sherman) exposed and this can change a lot, considering the last couple of SB champions able to build a deep roster because their QB's were not taking half of the budget and people are considering that it's the beginning of an era where teams that do not have HOF QB's will explore this approach and bet on rookies QB's and spending the money on the trenches, I don't think this market for a 12Mi+/year for a top CB will last longer.

well, technically Revis is signed a two year contract at an average value of 16 mil per year so Sherman has to sign for an average value of 16+ mil to be the highest paid cornerback in the NFL. :p

hey, whatever keeps Revis happy works for me.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back