DT Jacoby McDaniel, Fla St
DE Aldon Smith, Missouri

LB Luke Kuechly, BC
LB Travis Lewis, Oklahoma
LB Chris Galippo, USC

CB Patrick Peterson, LSU
CB Jonathan Banks, Missouri
S Rashard Hall, Clemson

Here's a couple of wr's you missed. M.Floyd - Notre Dame and J.Baldwin - Pitt.
Luck, Forcier(he is so over-rated) and Barkley are true freshmen. Not eligible for
2011 draft. And, a couple of juniors who announced they are returning to school on DL.
Allen Bailey dt - Miami and Adrian Clayborn de - Iowa.

If you care, here is my 2011 NFL Mock Draft...

I have the Patriots grabbing:

Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa

These are the top prospects so far for the 2011 draft:

QB Andrew Luck, Stanford
QB Tate Forcier, Michigan
QB Jacory Harris, Miami, Fla
QB Jake Locker, Washington
QB Mark Barkley, USC

RB Dion Lewis, Pitt
RB LaMichael James, Oregon
RB Ryan Williams, va tech
RB Mark Ingram, Alabama

WR Mohammed Sanu, Rutgers
WR Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina
WR Julio Jones, Alabama
WR AJ Green, Georgia

OT Clint Boling, Georgia

DT Jacoby McDaniel, Fla St
DE Aldon Smith, Missouri

LB Luke Kuechly, BC
LB Travis Lewis, Oklahoma
LB Chris Galippo, USC

CB Patrick Peterson, LSU
CB Jonathan Banks, Missouri
S Rashard Hall, Clemson

Many of the prospects you've listed aren't draft eligible in 2011, and you've left out some. My list (juniors with an *):

QB Jake Locker, Washington
QB Ryan Mallet, Arkansas (still could declare for 2010)
RB Mark Ingram*, Alabama
WR Julio Jones*, Alabama
WR AJ Green*, Georgia
WR Jonathan Baldwin*, Pitt
WR Michael Floyd*, Notre Dame
OT Matt Reynolds*, BYU
OT Clint Boling*, Georgia
DE/DT Cameron Heyward, Ohio State (still could declare for 2010)
DE/DT Allen Bailey, Miami
DT Brian Price, UCLA (still could declare for 2010)
DE DaQuan Bowers*, Clemson
DE Robert Quinn*, North Carolina
DE Aldon Smith**, Missouri (red shirt sophomore)
LB Travis Lewis, Oklahoma (could still declare for 2010)
LB Bruce Carter, North Carolina
ILB Rolando McClain, Alabama (still could declare for 2010)
S Eric Berry, Tennessee (still could declare for 2010)
S Earl Thomas, Texas (still could declare for 2010)
CB Patrick Peterson*, LSU
CB Joe Haden, Florida (still could declare for 2010)

That's 22 prospects, of whom 8 could still declare for 2010. Most of those are likely to come out this year, but it's not a sure thing. Even so, that leaves 15 or so players. Disregarding the guys who are likely to come out in 2010 (such as Eric Berry, Joe Haden and Rolando McClain), that leaves 5 major options that I see:

1. CB Patrick Peterson from LSU. Possibly the best CB prospect since Champ Bailey, almost certain top 10 pick.

2. A pass rushing DE/OLB like Robert Quinn from North Carolina or Aldon Smith from Missouri.

3. A 3-4 DE prospect like Cameron Heyward of Ohio St., who is eligible in 2010 but seems to be leaning towards returning right now, or Allen Bailey.

4. One of the "big 4" WRs: Jones, Green, Baldwin and Floyd.

5. An OT like Reynolds or Boling. I think this is the least likely.

Ideally, I'd like to see us pick one of CB Patrick Peterson, DE/OLB Robert Quinn, or DE Cameron Heyward with the Raiders pick, and then trade up from our own pick to get one of the top 4 WRs. Baldwin is my personal favorite. But with 4 of them, one is likely to slip out of the top 15-20. There are also other very talented WR prospects like DeAndre Brown who may be available towards the end of the 1st round because of all the WR talent.

If you care, here is my 2011 NFL Mock Draft...

I have the Patriots grabbing:

Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa

Very nice. I think you had us taking Peterson and Notre Dame TE Kyle Rudolph in an earlier version.

I can't argue with Peterson and Clayborn, though I'm torn between Peterson and DE/OLB Robert Quinn, and I'd love to see us trade up for one of the top WRs as well.

Very nice. I think you had us taking Peterson and Notre Dame TE Kyle Rudolph in an earlier version.

I can't argue with Peterson and Clayborn, though I'm torn between Peterson and DE/OLB Robert Quinn, and I'd love to see us trade up for one of the top WRs as well.

Yep, you're right.... couldn't pass up on my binky Clayborn now that he is in the 2011 Draft though. I'd be surprised if he fell that far, but 18 months out, I can indulge in fantasy.

Tate Forcier may have captivated Ann Arbor with his early season heroics, but he is going to have to do a lot more to prove that he is NFL material. Plus he is a little on the small side, in terms of height.

I thought Forcier was terrible (in person and on TV).

There are at least 10 legit blue-chippers that people may be interested to trade up for:

Locker, Mallet
Peterson, Quinn
J. Jones, Green, Baldwin
Boling, Reynolds,
Ingram

I thought Forcier was terrible (in person and on TV).

There are at least 10 legit blue-chippers that people may be interested to trade up for:

Locker, Mallet
Peterson, Quinn
J. Jones, Green, Baldwin
Boling, Reynolds,
Ingram

Possibly also WR Floyd and DE's Heyward and Bailey. And any of CB Haden, DE Morgan, LB McClain, DE Dunlap, DE Pierre-Paul, OT Bulaga, S Berry and S Thomas who don't declare, though I'm kind of assuming that all of them will come out in 2010.

Unless we end up with a top 5 pick, I hope we don't trade down too much. I'd like to pick up a blue chip prospect. We ought to be able to get one of Quinn or Peterson in the 7-10 range, and one of the WRs should be within reach of a tradeup to about the 20 range.

I think if the Raiders pick ends up being top 8 or so (roughly a 99.9% chance) you have to go for a Dline blue chipper. They're just too hard to find. But I don't really know many names for 2011 yet.

I think if the Raiders pick ends up being top 8 or so (roughly a 99.9% chance) you have to go for a Dline blue chipper. They're just too hard to find. But I don't really know many names for 2011 yet.

3-4 DE: Cameron Heyward, Ohio State. 6'6" 287#
DE/OLB: Robert Quinn, North Carolina. 6'5" 265#, 4.51 40.

Those are the two dominant ones, assuming Heyward doesn't come out this year.

Richard Seymour >

Richard Simmons

I really want Peterson. He's the next Darrelle Revis IMO. I also want a top tier WR. Green is my favorite WR I love his size, speed, leaping ability, and hands. He reminds me of Randy Moss. Julio Jones reminds me of a big physical WR like Boldin. Baldwin and Floyd are great prospects as well.

So my dream draft is Peterson and a trade up for Green, I know it's unlikely but let me dream.

I really want Peterson. He's the next Darrelle Revis IMO. I also want a top tier WR. Green is my favorite WR I love his size, speed, leaping ability, and hands. He reminds me of Randy Moss. Julio Jones reminds me of a big physical WR like Boldin. Baldwin and Floyd are great prospects as well.

So my dream draft is Peterson and a trade up for Green, I know it's unlikely but let me dream.

My dream is either Peterson or Robert Quinn and a trade up for Jonathan Baldwin or Green. At least my dream has more options than yours. :)

A few really good ones will be available, but BB will need to get one early because the 2011 draft won't be as deep as this one.

i reall don't know there is so much time to go. But i do admit it's pretty apealing thinking of having a revis/bailey on this pats team shutting down one side and giving BB a playmaking weapon on that d.

I'm not going to bother to speculate on the 2011 pick. I'm fairly sure Belichick will trade that pick for a pick in the 1st round this year. He will then defer our own 1st round pick for a few future picks ... IMO. This makes the most sense to me.

I'm not going to bother to speculate on the 2011 pick. I'm fairly sure Belichick will trade that pick for a pick in the 1st round this year. He will then defer our own 1st round pick for a few future picks ... IMO. This makes the most sense to me.

I really think BB's MO has been if the player(s) that he targets are there he will pick use the pick. If he really desires a certain player(s),he will trade up (within reason) for them.

However if the player(s) he has targeted are off the board, like last year, then he will trade back and "bank" value/future picks.

In doing a first round mock for the Pats, our goal is to find which players we think will be there close to when the Pats pick, and then evaluate them based on the following criteria:

1.) Are they a three down player? BB only picks three down players in round one. There are lots of three down players in round one of this draft,but some are not going to be on the board past #5 and it is unreasonable to think BB will jump up and grab one of them.

2.) Is there lots of film on the player(s) doing the type of things that BB would expect them to do in our defense? In other words, as little projecting as humanly possible allowed. If they can not show on tape that they can do the job, then BB passes on them. Obviously for every position EXCEPT LB that film is easy to find. LB (inside or outside) is a complex and difficult animal for BB. For every Mayo that meets or exceeds the criteria there are hundreds or even thousands that are tossed aside or down graded. It gives us fans fits, but for BB a veteran is a preferable option to a 1st round projection draftee.

3.) Can the player pass the intangibles test? (Character, instincts,tremendous love and dedication to the game, etc. etc.etc.) The first round is huge dollars and character misses as well as guys that get disinterested misses are hard on a team and team chemistry. BB takes no chances on this in the first round. The interview and background check are key evaluating chips for BB. But the real acid test is breaking down tape. Can the player tell you what they are seeing on tape. I think BB uses it as a way to weed out the guys that are just going through the motion with the guys that are truly dedicated to their profession. (PS: In my mind,McClain would score off the charts in this test.)

When you get this figured out, then you should be successful in your mock drafts. (Remember success is relative.)

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back