PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Richard Seymour - was he inactive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has a point. For a team (49ers) to give up a league high 19 sacks in 4 games but only give up 1 to New England looks pretty bad for the Pats. Their front seven looked invisable against Miami and today against the 9ers. If fans are going to play the "Seymour is doubled" card, then someone else along the line or LB's should be capitalizing against one of the worst O-lines in football. On the other hand, New England's O-line is making a case for that award as well. I'm glad the Pats won, but their defense should worry us until we play a good offense like um.....um.....well I can't think of any team right now because the NFL pretty much sucks this year.

The Patriots do not rush 7 so what does the front 7 have to do with pressuring the QB?

The Patriots are not built on speed with their D-Line, rather they are mainly built with power to stop the run first. They did use more speed packages today when the pass was more likely than the run. They got good pressure today, but O'Sullivan was very slippery. There were many times where he was forced out of the pocket, or was rushed into some bad throws.

We aren't a speed pass rushing team, but as you saw today there are packages we can use to add more speed creating more pressure. Seymour is not a speed rushing Dwight Freeney type. It's been explained over and over the style of run focused defense the Pats play in their base defense which inherently decreases their ability to rush the passer like a Colts type defense would.

The 9ers had 199 TOTAL YARDS...this imbecile decides to pick out ONE of ELEVEN players that HELD the 9ers under 200 total yards and make THAT a negative...imagine this guy in REAL life?

BP_240.B.JPG

I urge you to go back and watch this game if you can. I DVR'd it and I'm re-watching it now. You'll be horrified at how NON-Involved Richard was. Turned around like a turn-style on a couple of plays 7 yards downfield. If you think it's a good idea to pay him as a top 5 DE and tie up a major portion of our CAP space to simply "tie up blockers", then I don't know what to tell you.

Um, as a 3-4 DE, that IS his job you know? If he wasn't good, he wouldn't be tying up blockers, because no one would bother to double team him.

I agree he doesn't look like the Seymour of old and we'll need him to be more dominant, but the instant you used the words "stat sheet" to try to make your point, you lost me.

Um, as a 3-4 DE, that IS his job you know? If he wasn't good, he wouldn't be tying up blockers, because no one would bother to double team him.

I agree he doesn't look like the Seymour of old and we'll need him to be more dominant, but the instant you used the words "stat sheet" to try to make your point, you lost me.

Do you have a DVR my friend?, I hope you do. Because Richard wasn't even tying up two blockers. I have news for you, I'm re-watching it right now. He was going against ONE O-lineman the majority of the football game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did not even show up on the stat sheet, unbelievable ? Mr. Money talked about how great he was going to be now that he is finally healthy. He owes Bob Kraft alot of money................Highest paid NFL player in 2006, unreal !

Are there any Kool-Aid drinkers who want to even try and justify how invisible this guy was today?

You understand that Seymour has dominated games without getting any stats, right?

You understand that Seymour has dominated games without getting any stats, right?

Yes, but that was 4 years ago when he was actually in fact tying up 2 blockers. I have a news flash for you, he's not going against 2 blockers. PLease re-watch this game if you can instead of ASSUMING, that he is tying up 2 blockers, because he isn't...............

We keep O'Sullivan to a 50% completion rate and force him to throw 3 picks and people still ***** about "not pressuring the QB" enough because we don't get "teh stats." BB himself stated that the defense is designed more to collapse the pocket than to produce sacks.

Meanwhile the 49ers produced five sacks and Cassel outplayed O'Sullivan.

Last edited:
And that makes 3 to the ignore list tonight.... you clowns are unbelievable.
Ah, coming to the dark side I see (Watching them implode is only funny until you feel your brain start to wither from reading inane comment after inane comment!)

Do you have a DVR my friend?, I hope you do. Because Richard wasn't even tying up two blockers. I have news for you, I'm re-watching it right now. He was going against ONE O-lineman the majority of the football game.

Unless you have a DVR of the coaches film, I doubt you can accurately pick out what was happening in the trenches on a consistent basis.

Again, I don't doubt that he's not playing like the Seymour of 2004, but to say he was terrible is just very unlikely given the final results of the game.

I urge you to go back and watch this game if you can. I DVR'd it and I'm re-watching it now. You'll be horrified at how NON-Involved Richard was. Turned around like a turn-style on a couple of plays 7 yards downfield. If you think it's a good idea to pay him as a top 5 DE and tie up a major portion of our CAP space to simply "tie up blockers", then I don't know what to tell you.

So you are saying the Pats shouldn't have paid him to do what he is supposed to do? You do realize that a two-gap 3-4 DE's primary job is to tie up blockers so the LBs can shoot the gaps don't you? What exactly did you want the Pats to pay Seymour for? Not to do his job?

Sorry, but the 49ers were shutdown all game other than the first quarter and one drive in the fourth. I have a hard time believing Seymour played bad and the Pats were still successful.

Unless you have a DVR of the coaches film, I doubt you can accurately pick out what was happening in the trenches on a consistent basis.

I agree. The TV broadcast a lot of the times will not be focusing on Seymour's side of the line and he may be behind other players on the play. To focus in on a lineman and get an accurate perception of how well he is doing is sometimes misleading. Especially if you have a strong bias for or against a player.

Yes, but that was 4 years ago when he was actually in fact tying up 2 blockers. I have a news flash for you, he's not going against 2 blockers. PLease re-watch this game if you can instead of ASSUMING, that he is tying up 2 blockers, because he isn't...............

I am pretty sure that BB lauded Seymour LAST year after a game where he had "no stats".

How about all the times O'Sullivan got his pocket collapsed on him, forcing him to take off running? Or did that just not happen? Who had a hand in that; Richard Seymour, or DRC? Hmm. I think someone is still upset BB drafted Jerod Mayo.

Jesus, this is stupid. I always say "Don't cheer for a loss", but (edit) *sometimes* I wish this team would suck for a few years to get rid of all you bandwagon b!tches that clutter this board with your inane drivel.

Last edited:
We keep O'Sullivan to a 50% completion rate and force him to throw 3 picks and people still ***** about "not pressuring the QB" enough because we don't get "teh stats." BB himself stated that the defense is designed more to collapse the pocket than to produce sacks.

Meanwhile the 49ers produced five sacks and Cassel outplayed O'Sullivan.

Certain posters either are not Patriots fans or are just sad eternal pessimists that dig for anything that isn't perfect to whine about.

And you now do not have a red box anymore, why did you

And that makes 3 to the ignore list tonight.... you clowns are unbelievable.

I have never ignored anybody...but Deus, I think I see the light. There are about 5 or so posters that are really pissing me off. I am not including the trolls in that number either, a troll is a troll and I can deal with them.

It is the so called Patriot fan that has a compelling need to just rip this team apart, win or lose.

I do not recall it ever being so bad around here and I've been here for years now.

We lost the greatest Patriot QB to ever put on a uni, yet, we're winning football games here and we have as good a team as anybody in football, even without Tom Brady. Why do they feel the need to tear this team down??

I have never ignored anybody...but Deus, I think I see the light. There are about 5 or so posters that are really pissing me off. I am not including the trolls in that number either, a troll is a troll and I can deal with them.

It is the so called Patriot fan that has a compelling need to just rip this team apart, win or lose.

I do not recall it ever being so bad around here and I've been here for years now.

We lost the greatest Patriot QB to ever put on a uni, yet, we're winning football games here and we have as good a team as anybody in football, even without Tom Brady. Why do they feel the need to tear this team down??

That's exactly where I'm coming from. The same clowns have been posting the same crap all season long. Heck, with regards to Cassel, it's been since training camp. The team is now 3-1, despite losing Brady, but these clowns are still at it.

I think it has to do with Fantasy Football...a while back we got an influx of new posters from KFFL and the ESPN board that were primarily concerned with team statistics...and it has carried on ever since.

highest paid player in 2006 due to his signing bonus going 100% that year. if you pro-rate it through the life of his contract, he wouldnt have been, i dont t hink

These clowns infested the game thread today too, I guess being a Pats fan since the 70's gives me a different perspective but cmon, we're 3-1 and Cassels looking better every week.

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie looked fantastic against the Jets last week, getting torched by Coles and Cotchery up and down the field. Such a disappointment that we didn't take him (P.S. "The next great NFL shutdown corner" got removed from the starting lineup for today's game in exchange for Eric Green).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back