PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Richard Seymour: ‘I could have helped"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trading Seymour was just one part of the puzzle. And no, Seymour alone wouldn't have solved all the problems we have.

HOWEVER, we would be a much better team With Seymour instead of Burgess. We would be even better with Seymour, Hobbs, Matthews and Laurinitis instead of Burgess, Arrington, Chung and Brace.

This is very close to the actual situation... Burgess has clearly not played to expectation.. never was a fan of Hobbs..

Last edited:
All I can say is that 2011 pick had better, at the very least, be the second coming of Richard Seymour. At the very most, it had better become the second coming of Lawrence Taylor. This defense is suffering big time from Seymour's loss. Seymour knows it, Belichick knows it, we all know it. We traded him without a sufficient back-up plan and now we're paying the price for it while the opposing quarterbacks are not.

Borges wrote this on Boston Herald........ Excellent article, hits the nail on the head and has absolutely no agenda :rolleyes:

Precisely why you got traded Big Sey, get over it and move on.

I couldn't care less about Borge's agenda. Fact is, Seymour is right, and no amount of revisionist history on the part of posters on this forum is going to change that.

And what people overlook is that perhaps the greatest strength Seymour brought was not his pass rush but his run defense. You know, the area where this defense has struggled this year?

Who do you think came up with the 3 year extension concept? Were they sure of Seymour the player being a consistent impact player or the kind of leader they wanted in their locker room, Pioli would have locked him up long term in an an even friendlier 6 year extension. Instead they went with the unusual, incremental deal because it gave them time to assess whether he would remain healthy enough to warrant the committment or play well enough injured to warrant the committment or become the kind of positive force leader who warrants that committment. I said that the time and that time would tell how they viewed him. It did. He was not as bad a performer on the field as his critics claimed nor nearly as impactful on or off it as his proponents continued to insist. Much like Milloy before him he became an inconsistent effort player and somewhat of a negative leadership concern in the locker room.

He never recovered from being stung by the mere concept of behavior consequences, he didn't consistently deliver the kind of performance that his level of compensation demands, he commiserated and eventually bonded with of all people the clown who derided his selection on draft day because of their growing shared resentment for a man they believed snubbed or marginalized them. Whenever he felt threatened by critics he played the talent vs. scheme card. He didn't impact or save the 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007 or 2008 defenses sufficiently to warrant a top 3 deal. This team historically played as well with or without him in the lineup. His own teamates stopped electing him a captain. To claim him as a difference maker after Belichick moved on is wishful thinking heard mostly from those who would brook no criticism of him when he was here. Richard was a gifted athlete for sure. He was also increasingly an inconsistent effort performer who readily embraced the excuse card, subtely in public but not so subtely so in private. Just ask Borges since he fed him vendetta ammo any time his arsenal was running low over the last 5 seasons.

I love the revisionist assumptions made here on Pioli's behalf as well. Scott far moreso that Bill addressed publicly what went into the process of retaining or acquiring a player and how they gauged committment to playing championship football based not only on a players on field performance but his performance in the locker room and at the negotiating table. He may be more of a value and system hardass than his mentor... And while Bill had final say on all football operations matters, and it was Scott's mission to find him players that fit the system both via draft and FA, both frequently acknowledged that their relationship worked on both a personal and professional level because they adopted a policy of never signing or drafting or extending or cutting ties with a player unless they both agreed on the decision. That included the superstars, value addeds and total busts. Scott has been gone 9 months and it hasn't been all hearts and flowers at his new gig, either.

Yeah, Richard could have helped... had he actually been an all in team player and leader. You could say the same thing about any player who isn't here any longer in large part because he wasn't.

I love the lengths you go to in order to convince yourself (and try to convince others) that losing Seymour in the short term was actually a good move.

Trading Seymour was just one part of the puzzle. And no, Seymour alone wouldn't have solved all the problems we have.

HOWEVER, we would be a much better team With Seymour instead of Burgess. We would be even better with Seymour, Hobbs, Matthews and Laurinitis instead of Burgess, Arrington, Chung and Brace.

HOWEVER, we would be an even BETTER team if we traded for Peppers, Joe Thomas, and Adrian Peterson, and signed Asomugha.

All I can say is that 2011 pick had better, at the very least, be the second coming of Richard Seymour. At the very most, it had better become the second coming of Lawrence Taylor. This defense is suffering big time from Seymour's loss. Seymour knows it, Belichick knows it, we all know it. We traded him without a sufficient back-up plan and now we're paying the price for it while the opposing quarterbacks are not.

That draft pick from the Raiders will be the second coming of 3 second round draft picks which we will parlay at least one of them into a second rounder the following year and the obscure 5th round pick that Bill loves to stockpile.

That draft pick from the Raiders will be the second coming of 3 second round draft picks which we will parlay at least one of them into a second rounder the following year and the obscure 5th round pick that Bill loves to stockpile.

If the value is not there or looks like it may slide, BB may move down into the lower top 10 (depending on what happens regarding player contracts in the upcoming season). However, while I know that you're being sarcastic, I don't think he's going to try to trade it away to move lower into the first round or out of the top ten.

However, while I know that you're being sarcastic, I don't think he's going to try to trade it away to move lower into the first round or out of the top ten.

Especially if there's a rookie salary structure in place.

I love the lengths you go to in order to convince yourself (and try to convince others) that losing Seymour in the short term was actually a good move.

Other than the odd play at FB, I don't remember Richard Seymour playing offense. Or was he just so awesome that his very presence would revitalize the sputtering second half offense that has directly led to 4 losses?

Other than the odd play at FB, I don't remember Richard Seymour playing offense. Or was he just so awesome that his very presence would revitalize the sputtering second half offense that has directly led to 4 losses?

Yeah. Let's forget the defense that allowed 2 90+ yard drives to that unstoppable offense the Broncos have and the defense that has allowed over 1,000 yards and 60 points in two weeks to the Saints and the Dolphins, whom have the best receiving corps I've personally ever laid eyes on. :rolleyes: Yeah. Those losses had nothing to do with the defense. Oh, and we held the Colts to just 35 points! What an accomplishment. Very stout defense we have here in Foxboro.

Yeah. Let's forget the defense that allowed 2 90+ yard drives to that unstoppable offense the Broncos have and the defense that has allowed over 1,000 yards and 60 points in two weeks to the Saints and the Dolphins, whom have the best receiving corps I've personally ever laid eyes on. :rolleyes: Yeah. Those losses had nothing to do with the defense. Oh, and we held the Colts to just 35 points! What an accomplishment. Very stout defense we have here in Foxboro.

Exactly. I love this silly argument that since the offense has underperformed, it doesn't matter that we didn't keep our best defensive player, even though the defense has also underperformed.

It's not like, you know, having a better defense might have mitigated some of the offense's shortcomings and kept us more competitive (or allowed us to win) some of those games.

Exactly. I love this silly argument that since the offense has underperformed, it doesn't matter that we didn't keep our best defensive player, even though the defense has also underperformed.

It's not like, you know, having a better defense might have mitigated some of the offense's shortcomings and kept us more competitive (or allowed us to win) some of those games.

Yep. We lost that game because of deficiencies on both sides of the ball. I'm certainly not excusing the offense. But to blame the losses only on the offensive side of the ball and forget about the fact that Chad Henne performed surgery out there on Sunday until the Dolphins' offense ultimately shot themselves in the foot around the red zone (without any help from us) is just ridiculous.

I have faith in the offense improving once the O-Line becomes a solid starting unit for more than a quarter. The defense is another story.

Hey now........don't you know we have a top 10 defense?

Had he given us a clue that he was remotely interested in re-signing and not chasing the almighty buck, he probably still would be. We maximized a return on a player we knew we weren't gonna have next year.

I'm still okay on this deal

This. This x a million.

Hey now........don't you know we have a top 10 defense?

Well then tell the '85 Bears to get the hell out of the way because here comes the 2009 Patriots!

Help your own damn team, Richard. They could use it.

i see there are some peopel that need to cut back on the BB kool aid

it's a draft pick 2 years from now for a all pro DE that would have helped today

now if that pick 2 years from now is a top ten pick what did BB do what he's last pick he got mayo who is a good player he had a good rookie season and got hurt this year and maybe came back to fast but he is not a impact player he dose not get sacks he dose not get INT's

game's are won and lost up front and the pats are geting beat on both side of the ball they can't stop the run or get to the QB on D and they are geting beat by 3 man fronts on O

now they have to wait 2 years for a rookie to become at best a seymour type player tell me what did they realy gain ?

There is also no guarantee that the Raiders pick will give us a player of Seymour's caliber and impact. Chances are, we won't get that type of player. Just an extremely risky move by Belichick that looks even worse now that we don't have anyone that looks remotely anywhere near Seymour's league as a replacement.

Seymour would have made a HUGE difference. A key sack in a couple of critical moments in the games we lost would have been more possible with Seymour in our lineup. He not only brings pressure himself, but also attract a lot of attention. Add that to the fact that a couple of games, our DL was depleted, just an extra body out there would have been huge, specially someone of Seymour's caliber.

why didnt borges go and ask this question before the colts game or the saints game...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Back