PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Richard Seymour: ‘I could have helped"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was gonna give you a respectful reply until I read this bit. I'm sorry but if you are going down that route its just pointless discussing anything with you.

What route? People keep saying that he wouldve made such a difference this year. What, do we have psychics on this board now? Nobody can say they know for sure what Sey, and this team would be doing right now. Atleast we agree on something, we both think its pointless to discuss anything with each other ;)

Damn now I miss the guy even more :(

What route? People keep saying that he wouldve made such a difference this year. What, do we have psychics on this board now? Nobody can say they know for sure what Sey, and this team would be doing right now. Atleast we agree on something, we both think its pointless to discuss anything with each other ;)

If you don't understand why "hey, who knows, maybe he would have been hurt in game 1!" is profoundly faulty reasoning, then I dunno if anyone here can help you.

If you don't understand why "hey, who knows, maybe he would have been hurt in game 1!" is profoundly faulty reasoning, then I dunno if anyone here can help you.

I wasnt referring to Brady. It was just a "what if" type of statement. You guys live too much in the past :D

People should revisit all the "Seymour is a Bust" threads from the past couple of years, terms like invisible, did not show up, overpaid come to mind...

Revisionist history is always the best history...

Actually the Big Overrated wasn't double teamed anywhere near as often in recent years. Other teams figured out the BO was taking many plays off and they focused in on Vince Wilfork as the key player with the Patriots D.
Sorry **** but there isn't a single game whose outcome would have changed had you been here. You haven't been a game changer in years. Just ask the Giants! ;)

Last edited:
I just watched the playbook vid on nfl.com on mia-ne, and they showed a play where it was designed for TBC and Burgess to get 1-1 on matchups and boy, they couldn't do nothing.

So if Seymour being here would just help in getting those 1-1 matchups, im not sure if it would make THAT much of a difference.

Seymour is a great player. He is also a great player who would have wanted a huge long term contract and who was injured a lot in the past (not a knock, he was injured legitimately and because he got beat on so much).

Sey was not what you call a leader (again, not a knock, his personality was a fierce individualist).

“You can’t just have great coaching and no talent. You’ve got to have both.

This was unwarranted. I'm sure 1st round picks Wilfork and Warren (who is still struggling from injury?) didn't deserve that. throw in a healthy Green, Mike Wright and (whatever happened to Pryor?) and we have good talent at the position.
Obviously, Green and Wright have stepped up before when Sey was injured.

We no longer have Seymour, but neither does anyone else except Oakland.

We have a salary cap, we need to constantly make moves. Mybe we'll need to make moves at LB, DL and the secondaryto change the veteran chemistry, who knows.

In a salary cap world, trading an extremely talented oft injured, expensive player possibly on the downslope (we don't know the future) for a possible top 5 pick is a great move. It would be nice if we could trade a marginal player for a high 1st rounder, but let'slive in the real world.

Scheme, or talent, we have to work around him and the coaching staff needs to step up. We also miss Bru, Vrabel and Rodney, but again, reality. They got old.

Lest we forget the unbiased and non agenda driven football expertise of ron Borges, I give you his reaction to the great pick that was Richard Seymour.

On a day when they could have had impact players David Terrell or Koren Robinson or the second-best tackle in the draft in Kenyatta Walker, they took Georgia defensive tackle Richard Seymour, who had 1 sack last season in the pass-happy SEC and is too tall to play tackle at 6-6 and too slow to play defensive end

wonder if we can resign big sey in this offseason. may him an extra few mil signing bonus for his troubles in the trade

Im sure also Willie Mcginnist, Ty Law, Mike Vrabel, all could say I could help them as well... Hindsight is 20/20... if he could have helped, he would have lived up to the deal in 06.....

Yes, he could have helped. But we knew that from day one. This deal was always about the future while taking a hit this season. I don't think a lot of us imagined our pass rush would be THIS bad, but we knew it wasn't going to be as strong without Sey.

Having said that much, it's not like he's exactly been lighting it up over in Oakland. He collected 2 sacks in the opening game when he was pissed off at the world, and 2 more against a decimated Philly O-line, and nothing else. He's definitely improved their D-line, but overall the Raiders defense is at the same ranking as last season in terms of points allowed, and a bit worse in yards allowed.

I wont say he was not a great player for us, but would have liked to seen more..

Of course he would have helped this year. Does anyone really doubt that? I would guess everyone in the organization would admit that. When the deal was made it was a deal made for thr future.

Now would he have made this a good defense? I don't see how. There would still be no playmakers at LB and still issues in the secondary.

If people think Richard Seymour wasn't a great player for the Patriots then that's fine. I might suggest a subtle head examination though. There's not much more a 3-4 Defensive End can do better than what Seymour did.

Injuries, suspect locker room personality or not, he was an unfairly maligned player who performed admirably for the Patriots. Seems there is a fair few of them in Patsfans minds.

Last edited:
Last edited:
People, people ... Don't fall for this crap. It's codependent agendas -- Borges and Seymour. The names are all you need to know.

Borges wrote this on Boston Herald........ Excellent article, hits the nail on the head and has absolutely no agenda :rolleyes:

Precisely why you got traded Big Sey, get over it and move on.

There are plenty of places BB has messed up - - the DC and OC hirings/non hirings in particular.

Trading Richard Seymour this year for a 1st rounder in the 2011 draft is not one of those, IMO. In fact, I think it was one of his best moves.

Letting Hobbs go for a 5th was worse. Plus Hobbs wasn't the lockerroom cancer Seymour was.

Last edited:
People, people ... Don't fall for this crap. It's codependent agendas -- Borges and Seymour. The names are all you need to know.

I like it... all you need to do is add Felger and it will be a trifecta..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes