Welcome to PatsFans.com

Richard Lugar Can No Longer Vote for Himself

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

I'm not questioning his right to run for office in a state he hasn't lived in 36 years - if they say it's legal, then I guess it's legal. I presume he has an office there if not a residence.

What I don't understand is how he managed to keep his driver's license and voter registration for that length of time.

Sounds like voter fraud to me.

A year after I moved here the plates and sticker on my car expired - in order to get Virginia plates I had to have proof of address in Va. In order to get acceptable proof of address in Va. I had to get a Virginia driver's license. In order to get a VA license, I had to surrender my Indiana driver's license.

I suppose I could have gone back to Indiana and renewed my plates - but I would have had to show proof of residence - and, since I no longer lived there or owned property there, that would have been impossible. Unless I lied, of course, and claimed I was living with my son or a friend. Even then, I would have had to produce a valid change of address notification from the post office as well as a utility bill, tax return and/or paycheck stub which had that Indiana addess on it.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...3/richard-lugar-ineligible-to-vote-indiana-/1

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +367 / 11 / -27

Bingo, we have Bingo..

We finally found the voter fraud that the right has us so worried about... I knew it was here somewhere...

3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

That is really nuts. I read somewhere that you don't actually have to be from the district you're running in, when running for congress. I'm not even sure if that's accurate or not too. While I found that to be wierd, I find this to be kinda absurd. Shouldn't you at least live in the state you represent?

I will say this, my drivers license has my old address on it. The address of the home I lived in with my parents back in 2001. I never changed it even though I've lived in two different cities/towns since then. So when I vote, I go there since I'm registered still. I wonder if that's the case with Lugar, although it says he sold his home, which would mean otherwise. My parents still live in the same place where I used to.

4. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

You would think so, wouldn't you? I just assumed they had to maintain a residence in the state they represented. That's one of the things they whine about when they talk about how hard it is to exist on their salaries, isn't it? Weren't there a couple of new reps who were living in their offices because they said they couldn't afford to maintain two residences? And isn't that why senators and congressment live at that big house the "Family" owns here in DC?

I'm gonna try checking this out. This is kinda interesting now.

It does state he sold his house in 1976 but he's still using that same address - and further down in the article it states

Still doesn't seem right, though, does it? I mean, can anyone use anyone's address? Could I go back to Indiana for a visit and register to vote there by using my son's address even though I don't live there and have no intention of actually living there?

Isn't that kind of what all the hullaballo about voter fraud and showing proper ID is all about stopping?

5. Real World

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

It's quite fascinating to be honest. I don't know what the laws or rules are. I don't know if there are federal guidelines or if it's state regulated. I just find it odd that the guys doesn't have a personal address there. i.e. own a home, rented apartment, etc. Maybe he does and we don't know. The article says otherwise.

One thing that I'd like to point out is that Lugar is like 100 I think, and is likely Indiana born and bred. So while he moved out in 1976, he was likely (I'm speculating here) born and raised there. So it's not (again assuming) like he's never lived there, or is from Virginia and has only been in Indiana to fill out an application to run for its senate seat. I think of my own life where I no longer live in a certain city, but have spent two thirds of my existence there. Even then though, I would think you'd actually have to kinda live there, to run there. It just seems kinda absurd to me.

BTW, I'd love to see career lifers like Lugar get ousted by some new blood. TERM LIMITS!!!

6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

He's 80 - and yes, he's a Hoosier, born and bred. Well, until he left in '76, anyhow.

That's what I mean. I was born in Chicago but moved to Indiana in my 20's. I spent most of my adult life there, moving to Virginia about 8 years ago. I think of myself as a "Hoosier," but I know I'm not - not anymore, anyhow. I surely don't feel entitled to vote there, that's for sure. And I'm no longer current with Indiana "issues," since they don't really affect me much.

Moving away from a long term home-place is strange. In the beginning I really looked forward to "going home" for a visit. When I got there I felt like I was back where I belonged - I was homesick and I went home frequently. That lasted about 2 1/2 years. Then the visits kinda changed. It didn't feel so much like "home" anymore - but neither did Virginia feel like "home" either. I felt like I didn't really belong anywhere. One foot was planted here, the other foot was planted there and neither place was home, yet neither place was foreign, either. Visits got less frequent. Then, one visit about 2 years ago I was sitting in my mom's kitchen and I realized, I couldn't wait to "go home," - and home meant back here in Virginia.

It is amazing how much things change in 8 years. The roads are different, the scenery is different. Businesses I knew went out of business and new businesses took their place. The ER where I worked used to be on the South side of the hospital and in the basement, now it's on the North side and on the first floor. The ramp we used to have wheelchair races on is gone. The staff is almost unrecognizable. My house used to white with red doors and a wooden deck - now it's tan with white doors and no deck. The tree out front is gone. The fire station I worked at has moved. My engine's been retired. The ambulances are gone- farmed out to a private company.

If I was trying to "represent" it, I couldn't. I don't know it anymore. The people are different, their concerns are different, their needs have changed.

How can it be any different for Lugar?

7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Ok...here's what the US Constitution says:

That being said - apparently no one's really clear with "be an inhabitant" really means.

Is Richard Lugar Eligible To Represent Indiana?

8. Real World

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

That's what I had read online somewhere. Someone posted that cut from the constitution. As is the case with "interpretation", could "when elected" mean first elected, or would that apply to re-election as well? I personally think you should live in the state you represent. By live in, that means own or rent a home there. That's my take.

It kinda makes me think about Massachusetts a little, and how the last couple of governors we've had are kinda from here, but not from here so to speak. Or when Hillary Clinton shopped for a senate race she could win for the most part. The other day I think someone said that Joe the Plumber guy doesn't even live in the district he's running in. I find this Lugar info quite crazy to be honest. If he really has no true address inside Indiana, wtf is he their senator for? Go run in Virginia pal.