PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rice doesnt get call to hall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rice doesnt deserve to be in the hall. Rice has basically the same numbers as Albert Belle. He simply wasnt good enough to be considered one of the all time greats.

lighten up, folks

patsfan55 said:
ive always posted red sox and celtics news on this board, and have gotten crap from a lot for it, but also have gotten a lot of good feedback and replies for it too

even though there are other boards on here for just red sox, or other stuff, this is bigger news than most, which is what i usually post on the pats board here, since that is where most ppl go
look, it's just a thread...
it's a news itam, to be dicussed and then dropped.
i think rice's stats are comparable to those for tony perez. perez is in the HOF, rice isn't. sportswriters do the voting. i wonder if rice regrets the verbal confrontations he had with writers during his career. he was really antagonistic.
my favorite: rice hist a line-drive HR that clangs off the COKE BOTTLE. still the hardest-hit ball i've ever seen in a game. no arc at all. according to boston globe, in locker room afterwards: sportswriter: "what kind of pitch was that you hit, jim?" rice: "it was a m____f____g baseball".
the thing is, IMO rice was approachable and courteous with fans. saw him at daisy's quite a few times during that era. people would go over to him and ask for an autograph. he always obliged and would do some chatter with the fan while he was signing. he was obliging on the field after games, too.

most dangerour hitter of the late '70s

NEM said:
I agree. He was an above average player but not HOF material.

MVP season, 2 HR titles, set record for total bases in a season,
i dunno. i don't recall belle doing any of those things.
i would certainly rank him higher than "above average". IMO that term is applicable to players like trot nixon, denny doyle, dave henderson, richie gedman, bernie carbo.
i'd put him in a category with tony perez, paul molitor, and a few others

FasterPatriotsKill!Kill! said:
Rice doesnt deserve to be in the hall. Rice has basically the same numbers as Albert Belle. He simply wasnt good enough to be considered one of the all time greats.
Given the different eras, if their numbers are basically the same that's a huge advantage to Rice. Belle never won an MVP, Rice did. He is being penalized for his poor relations with the press during his career.

A freakkin baseball story leading our board when we are in the middle of the football playoffs.

Is the PATSFAN.com or WEEI? I thought that there was a baseball board on the site.

Last edited:
RayClay said:
Luis Tiant. :D

Tiant was so dominating in the early seventies. I remember him as second only to Yaz as the guy who inspired and reinvigorated the franchise.

ilduce06410 said:
look, it's just a thread...
it's a news itam, to be dicussed and then dropped.
i think rice's stats are comparable to those for tony perez. perez is in the HOF, rice isn't. sportswriters do the voting. i wonder if rice regrets the verbal confrontations he had with writers during his career. he was really antagonistic.
my favorite: rice hist a line-drive HR that clangs off the COKE BOTTLE. still the hardest-hit ball i've ever seen in a game. no arc at all. according to boston globe, in locker room afterwards: sportswriter: "what kind of pitch was that you hit, jim?" rice: "it was a m____f____g baseball".
the thing is, IMO rice was approachable and courteous with fans. saw him at daisy's quite a few times during that era. people would go over to him and ask for an autograph. he always obliged and would do some chatter with the fan while he was signing. he was obliging on the field after games, too.

Does anyone know why he had such an attitude with the media?

mystery to me

fillip said:
Does anyone know why he had such an attitude with the media?
i have no idea.
keep in mind that anyone who could ask him that question, and tell us the answer, would be a member of the media.
the jim rice i saw, away from fenway, was like the jim rice you see on tv.
it was jekyll and hyde.
as i recall he went straight from high school into the redsox organization. in HS, in the carolinas, he was mr. everything: sprinter, football, basketball, baseball.
i read a story somewhere that said he triggered a move toward school integration. district officials moved a line on their maps to include his house, and thereby have him go to the "white" high school instead of the "black" high school. of course by moving that line they captured more black homes, but they were willing to have 50-100 black students in the "white" high school if they got rice.
none of that, to me, adds up to antagonism toward the media. but SOMETHING happened either in HS or in the red sox organization.

I'm I getting this right the Hall Of Fame does not want Jerry Rice. If that's true somee one needs to get slapped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes