Rice doesnt get call to hall

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsfan55

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
such bs

he dominated during his prime

Hopefully the veterans commitee will come through it's his only chance now.
But it is BS his numbers are better than Orlando Cepeda and he is in I dont get it.

patsfan55 said:
such bs

Jerry Rice was rejected by the Hall of Fame?!! That's an outrage!!!

patsfan55 said:
such bs

I wonder if the outcome would have been different if he were friendlier to the press during his playing days. He had a reputation (deservedly so or not) of being surly and aloof to the media.
Just my $0.02,

well most voters feel that he didnt dominate long enough

and that while he was the best hitter during his prime, he wasnt that great

thats not what i think, im just repeating what ive heard from voters that didnt vote him in

QuickOutGo said:
Jerry Rice was rejected by the Hall of Fame?!! That's an outrage!!!
Or maybe Simeon Rice ? Being a football board, this must be a football player who's being talked about :rolleyes:

BelichickFan said:
Or maybe Simeon Rice ? Being a football board, this must be a football player who's being talked about :rolleyes:

Bruce Sutter got in. This is a stretch of a corollary, but if Sutter, out of the category of relief pitchers, that is unpopular with hall of fame writer/voters gets in, Adam Vinatieri is getting to be a near lock for the pro football hall of fame. All he needs to do is fatten up his lifetime points scored line.

patsfan55 said:
well most voters feel that he didnt dominate long enough

and that while he was the best hitter during his prime, he wasnt that great

thats not what i think, im just repeating what ive heard from voters that didnt vote him in

when i think of rice, i think of him more for breaking a slant from montana into a huge play, than of his big hits.... did he even play defense? or do you mean special teams his rookie year?

ive always posted red sox and celtics news on this board, and have gotten crap from a lot for it, but also have gotten a lot of good feedback and replies for it too

even though there are other boards on here for just red sox, or other stuff, this is bigger news than most, which is what i usually post on the pats board here, since that is where most ppl go

To me, if you have to think about it after reviewing the guy's stats, he shouldn't go to the Hall. Rice had a few great years, but not enough good ones. Plus, unlike guys like Perez or Gil Hodges with similar numbers, his teams didn't excel in the postseason. Maybe it's not fair, but that's life.

oldrover said:
To me, if you have to think about it after reviewing the guy's stats, he shouldn't go to the Hall. Rice had a few great years, but not enough good ones.

This is just ignorant. Jim Rice was the dominant hitter of his time. He had more HR, RBI, Total Bases, slugging %age, OPS and doubles than ANYONE during the span of his career. He had more "great" years than you may realize - pre-steroids and bandboxes - and he was an all-star 8 times and a top-5 MVP candidate FIVE TIMES.

People whose opinions I hold in especially high regard - Gammons and Mike Francesa, say what you will, both know a TON - think it's absurd that Rice isn't in. He's an automatic HOFer. It's ludicrous.

Also ludicrous? Gregg Jeffries got a vote. Walt Weiss got a vote. Hal Morris got FIVE! If these reporters aren't going to respect the responsibility the vote carries, they should be forced to relinquish it.

PatsWorldChamps said:
when i think of rice, i think of him more for breaking a slant from montana into a huge play, than of his big hits.... did he even play defense? or do you mean special teams his rookie year?

Jerry Rice was also Ronnie Lott. Notice how similar they were in build (they used camera tricks to come up with slightly different heights and faces) and the fact that they never played together, conveniently playing offence and defence respectively. When he was off-camera, he would sneak into a number 42 Jersey. So, yes, he was a big hitter!
As with my previous posts about conspiracies, I will disappear from this board one day and then you will know I was right all along....:eek:

Last edited:
"Black Ink: Batting - 33 (49) (Average HOFer ~ 27)
Gray Ink: Batting - 176 (56) (Average HOFer ~ 144)
HOF Standards: Batting - 42.9 (119) (Average HOFer ~ 50)
HOF Monitor: Batting - 146.5 (81) (Likely HOFer > 100)
Overall Rank in parentheses"

http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/riceji01.shtml

Another Desperate Housewife drama/conspiracy. What else would you expect? Next time, take this nonsense to the Rad Sux forum where it belongs.

patsox23 said:
This is just ignorant. Jim Rice was the dominant hitter of his time. He had more HR, RBI, Total Bases, slugging %age, OPS and doubles than ANYONE during the span of his career. He had more "great" years than you may realize - pre-steroids and bandboxes - and he was an all-star 8 times and a top-5 MVP candidate FIVE TIMES.

People whose opinions I hold in especially high regard - Gammons and Mike Francesa, say what you will, both know a TON - think it's absurd that Rice isn't in. He's an automatic HOFer. It's ludicrous.

Also ludicrous? Gregg Jeffries got a vote. Walt Weiss got a vote. Hal Morris got FIVE! If these reporters aren't going to respect the responsibility the vote carries, they should be forced to relinquish it.

couldn't agree more. I see them taking this right away from these clowns eventually. and no matter what any writer says, many of them aren't voting him in cuz they hold grudges. he'll get in via the veterans committee - he is an obviously deserving player - there's really no question about that if you watched his career. bozo writers.

Tunescribe said:
Another Desperate Housewife drama/conspiracy. What else would you expect? Next time, take this nonsense to the Rad Sux forum where it belongs.

couldnt agree more

he basically averaged 100 rbis per year as he finished with 1423 in 16 yrs (two of which he played 24, and 56 games, respectively)

wasnt a great obp guy
but his career slugging was .502

george brett career slugging?

roberto clemente

reggie jackson

kirby puckett

ryne sandberg

mike schmidt
.527 (only one so far on this list ahead of rice)

dave winfield

yaz

robin yount

AND ALL OF THESE GUYS ARE IN THE HALL

six times he finished in top five of mvp voting

Not only should Rice be considered for HOF, I think Dwight Evans should go,too. The Gold Gloves, one of the top HR hitters of the Eighties. He had three years in a row knocking in 100 runs and scoring a 100.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back