PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RFAs - leave them off your lists

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I read an article last year, I think it was by Kirwan or Brandt that talked about the small number of RFAs that changed teams each year. I haven't been able to find it, likely related to my long term and short term memory loss....

The bottom line is that it is very rare for RFAs to change teams, if you have your eye on any of them don't get too excited. We will see if the new CBA impacts this trend at all"

Articles on the subject
http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1518788.html
"Over the past three seasons, for instance, an average of just three restricted players have changed teams. Last spring kicker Kris Brown, who went from the Pittsburgh Steelers to the Houston Texans, was the lone restricted player to find a new address."

Scary thing about the list, the Patriots could have had A. Thomas for a 6th round pick and a whole lot less money...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp03/columns/pasquarelli_len/1587769.html
"How rare is that? Consider this: Only 10 restricted free agents leaguewide had changed teams in the previous three springs."

Last edited:
That's still 3 a year, Belichick won't just leave a stone unturned. I like RFA DJ Hackett. Seattle has a lot of $$$ wrapped up in WR so a good offer may get him - Football Outsiders ranked him as the 15th best WR in 2006.

That's still 3 a year, Belichick won't just leave a stone unturned. I like RFA DJ Hackett. Seattle has a lot of $$$ wrapped up in WR so a good offer may get him - Football Outsiders ranked him as the 15th best WR in 2006.

you figure Seattle is going to lose Hackett or Bobby Engram.

I read an article last year, I think it was by Kirwan or Brandt that talked about the small number of RFAs that changed teams each year. I haven't been able to find it, likely related to my long term and short term memory loss....
I remember it. The biggest drawback is that you pay top FA dollars to sign them PLUS you have to give up a high draft pick. If the player is any good, he is tendered at a high tender. Now with that second round tender, you are pretty much guaranteed to have to give up at least a second round pick to get anyone decent (If the other team isn't willling to pay $1.4 mil for the guy, he can't be that good.)

Didn't the pasts sign Rodney Bailey as an RFA in 2004? I believe he was an original round tender, the 6th.

Didn't the pasts sign Rodney Bailey as an RFA in 2004? I believe he was an original round tender, the 6th.

I think they did, he may have been the only one that year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back