PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RFA Emmanuel Sanders visits Pats 3/16; signs offer sheet 4/10, sheet matched 4/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Emmanuel Sanders signs offer sheet (Unconfirmed report)

The Patriots put in a poison pill that if Sanders catches more than 5 passes from a known rapist a roster bonus kicks in making the year one cap hit 15M. They really can't complain after Ben slipping all those young girl poison pills.

Years ago Bob Kraft made the Patriots arrange a trade for Welker
rather than go the offer sheet route. He did not want to tick off
the owner. I don't imagine he wants to upset Rooney.

Years ago Bob Kraft made the Patriots arrange a trade for Welker
rather than go the offer sheet route. He did not want to tick off
the owner. I don't imagine he wants to upset Rooney.

Was the trade arranged to save friendships or so we can arrange a contract under our terms? I'm leaning towards the latter.

Was the trade arranged to save friendships or so we can arrange a contract under our terms? I'm leaning towards the latter.

My understanding at the time was that it was a combination of both: Kraft didn't want bad blood, and a "tit-for-tat" type issue; moreover, the FO didn't want to have to use a poison pill that involved "fake" years they didn't plan to honor.

Equally importantly, the rules for RFAs have changed, so you can't put a "poison pill" in at all.

Nice. I hope this is true. There have been so many conflicting reports, my head is spinning like that little girl from the Poltergeist...

Linda Blair's head spun around in The Exorcist.

Linda Blair's head spun around in The Exorcist.

The New England Patriots: trying to make Schrödinger's Cat a reality since 2000. :D

So...

Is the title of this thread true, or not?

Dulac (Post-Gazette) has yet to issue any retraction to his report (which was the source for the nfl.com report)...OTOH other sources are saying that he left without signing. What's the word in NE?

That's not really the question, though. The question is, what are the chances, of the 25% (might be high) of low (if it's ours) third round picks that make it to their fourth year in the NFL, we will pick one who is also more promising than Emmanuel by that time.

I like this deal if it happens. Sanders looks like he could be starter material, and you usually don't find that in the 3rd round of the draft. With how late the Pats are picking, it's almot an early 4th round pick.

I like this deal if it happens. Sanders looks like he could be starter material, and you usually don't find that in the 3rd round of the draft. With how late the Pats are picking, it's almot an early 4th round pick.

Not to mention rookie receivers almost never have immediate impacts of other positional players.

Pitt is signing at least spaeth today. Pats are...IMO...waiting for them to spend $$ then go after him when pitt doesnt have a chance. The loger the pats wait and make it known they want him. The harder it is for pitt to match

So many conflicting reports, I wonder if the Pats are trying to work out a trade with Pitt like they did with Miami for Welker.

The pats must like the potential they see with Sanders to go after him in restricted free agency...I know alot of people are saying "huh, the guy only had 44 catches for 600Yards" BUT the pats did the same thing with Welker..a guy who averaged around 60catches and 600yards a year with the dolphins. no one saw him becoming a 100+ catches 1000yard receiver

Im hoping the pats make this happen, because Sanders could finally be that deep threat the pats have been looking for on the outside

It is my belief that the Patriots will acquire Sanders eventually. I cannot fathom that the Patriots would bring in a RFA at his tender (with 3rd round compensation) just to "kick the tires." That is for phone calls to agents.

The concept of a trade is very plausible, as happened with Welker and Miami.

Greg Bedard is also speculating that the Patriots are simply waiting for the Steelers to make a few more moves so they can be further assured that they will be incapable of matching.

Either way, we won't know his fate for at least a week or 2.

It is my belief that the Patriots will acquire Sanders eventually. I cannot fathom that the Patriots would bring in a RFA at his tender (with 3rd round compensation) just to "kick the tires." That is for phone calls to agents.

The concept of a trade is very plausible, as happened with Welker and Miami.

Greg Bedard is also speculating that the Patriots are simply waiting for the Steelers to make a few more moves so they can be further assured that they will be incapable of matching.

Either way, we won't know his fate for at least a week or 2.

Waiting until the Steelers spend more has a two-fold effect - it ensures they cannot match an offer and it lowers the amount of money we have to front load into this years cap to sign him. I'm OK with waiting, and I do agree we'll eventually get him.

It's all a game at this point.

Re: Emmanuel Sanders signs offer sheet (Unconfirmed report)

Changed the thread title as unconfirmed report. Only one outlet is reporting it as done while others are saying it might happen.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

Emmanuel Sanders still hasn't signed an offer sheet from Pats. No reason to do so before 4 pm deadline and give Steelers extra time to match

After 4 we may hear something

No offer from Sanders mouth means hes has an offer.

The Pats usually like to keep famliy business under wrap while in negotiations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back