PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rey Maualuga Pro Day Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets hope its the latter, but either way if this hurts his draft stock than that benefits us because obviously BB doesnt subscribe to everyone else's way of thinking. Its all about him fitting into what we are trying to do defensively as well as coachability, the patriot way and all the other cliches that we use during interviews lol

Context of the situation. He's not getting paid and his future salary rests on how well he does.

It would have been heroic if it was the 4th quarter of the SB with :45 seconds remaining and it was 4th and 1 from the 1 yard line with the opposing team driving for the game winning touchdown and he came back on the field to make the stop.

He's selfless and doesn't care about the money or draft position. He wants teams to know who he is. :)

Once again-Maualuga has the natural skill set to be a very good pro. I have heard alot of fans question his intelligence as the main concern for not drafting him. He does not have to be a genius to smack down running backs. I understand the complexity of Patriots system. However, you need guys like Maualuga in a street fight. He will make teams that pass on him pay over the next few years. Tough,versatile playmaker that can wreck a running game.

Actually there is: Scout profile has more serious concerns. I'll be the first to tell you I did not have Meriweather on my board, I couldn't investigate him so, with questions of that magnitude unanswered, he was scratched. BB could and did have him investigated, I'm content.

Maualuga wouldn't even be on my board before the allegations raised in that article, so they are a moot point for me, but I would actually consider these claims - if valid - to be much more damning for a NE ILB than anything Meriweather was involved with at Miami.

He needs a full time babysitter, that's all. Is that bad?

BB worked out Meriweather didn't he? Comparitively, there doesn't seem to be much interest in this guy.

But lets get real here. There are players every year who get into major university programs who get there because of their skills, not their brains. If you think that USC is different from any other major university, then you are fooling yourself.

No question, EVERY college lowers its academic standards for highly recruited athletes, the Ivies included. How much they lower them, though, does vary. Here's an amazing chart showing the rates of "special admits" for athletics and football in particular at various public universities:

http://www.indystar.com/assets/pdf/BG11724397.PDF

In several of the football programs, only a handful of players on the whole roster would have been academically eligible for admission. (To be fair, the academic standards vary too -- Cal-Berkeley is a lot harder to get in to than Texas A&M.)

Among selective private schools, USC lowers its standards a whole lot more than, say, Stanford. I was recently looking at a list of past Wonderlic scores from a particular year. Among the Stanford students, the low was 19 and the high 37. USC range: 13-28...and the 28 was an outlier, the 13 wasn't.

Devil's advocate: if he's that good with minimal training then just wait until BB and Woicik get hold of him.

Devils advocate: And if he shows up that way at TC, he might be cut by the end of training camp. What a waste of a 1st round pick then. Maualuga is a risky pick.

1. He doesn't fit the 3-4 system, he's a better fit as a 4-3 MLB.
2. Poor senior year and only so so pro day showing. Oooh it's me poor blister! Whatever, I don't like players who make excuses.
3. He has problems shedding and taking on blockers.
4. Poor wonderlic score and questionable intelligence. How's he going to absorb the Pats complex defensive scheme?
5. The article that questions Maualuga's character and calls him one of the 5 riskiest picks in the draft.

I would definitely wait till later to gamble on this guy and I certainly would not trade up for him. He just appears to be a poor fit for the Pats 3-4 defense.

Last edited:
Devils advocate: And if he shows up that way at TC, he might be cut by the end of training camp. What a waste of a 1st round pick then. Maualuga is a risky pick.

1. He doesn't fit the 3-4 system, he's a better fit as a 4-3 MLB.
2. Poor senior year and only so so pro day showing. Oooh it's me poor blister! Whatever, I don't like players who make excuses.
3. He has problems shedding and taking on blockers.
4. Poor wonderlic score and questionable intelligence. How's he going to absorb the Pats complex defensive scheme?
5. The article that questions Maualuga's character and calls him one of the 5 riskiest picks in the draft.

I would definitely wait till later to gamble on this guy and I certainly would not trade up for him. He just appears to be a poor fit for the Pats 3-4 defense.

I think Maualuga can excel in the right system, and be an impact player. I don't think that we are the right system. Baltimore designs its system around Rey Lewis and allows him to play in somewhat the same manner as Maualuga, extremely effectively. I believe that BB would demand a level of rigor and discipline which would blunt some of Maualuga's strengths and expose his weaknesses. I'm sure BB is capable of designing schemes to work around some of these areas, but that would seem to defeat the purpose of drafting an SILB that high.

I think Maualuga can excel in the right system, and be an impact player. I don't think that we are the right system. Baltimore designs its system around Rey Lewis and allows him to play in somewhat the same manner as Maualuga, extremely effectively. I believe that BB would demand a level of rigor and discipline which would blunt some of Maualuga's strengths and expose his weaknesses. I'm sure BB is capable of designing schemes to work around some of these areas, but that would seem to defeat the purpose of drafting an SILB that high.

I totally agree with this statement and is why I consider him a talent worth looking at in the first or at #34 if he slips. He does have game and I would not say his senior season was bad, it was his bowl game and thereafter examples Senior Bowl and Combine. There has been a lot of red flags which have been brought up in this thread. It is just a matter of how BB interprets all this information as we all know he probably knows more about his kid then any of us. I guess what it comes down to is coaching and what BB thinks he could do with him on his defense.

He needs a full time babysitter, that's all. Is that bad?
That's bad and no, that's not all.

BB worked out Meriweather didn't he? Comparitively, there doesn't seem to be much interest in this guy.
NE worked out Meriweather and was investigated for the various problem flags, so far so good.

Ben Coates - Bill Belichick wasn't the coach at the time.
Rod Rutledge - He was the one with Coates, but, again, Belichick wasn't the coach at the time it happened.
Willie Andrews -You were corrected on him
Kevin Faulk - Was given misdemeanor citiation. A far cry from Andrews' antics

It should be noted that Coates wasn't retained by the Patriots after Belichick was hired.

Parcells was the Head Coach. Belichick was just a Coordinator.

Well, since it's the Krafts writing the checks, it really doesn't matter whether Parcells, Carroll, or Belichick was the coach. If Kraft were consistent in the way Christian Peter was handled, Coates would have been gone. The difference is one was a star, the other a draft pick.

And frankly, I believe that Andrews would have been cut for the MJ, regardless of the subsequent weapons charge. In fact, I thought he already had been. The only point is that there is, and always has been, two sets of rules.

And believe it or not, I know who was the Head Coach and who was the Defensive Coordinator of the Super Bowl Giants teams. I could probably give you the rest of the staff too if I thought about it long enough. The point is that BB was responsible for coaching Taylor and putting in the defensive game plan, and that Taylor continually tried to undermine Belichick's authority. Is it okay to undermine Belichick because he was only the DC?

Man, I give you a lot of rope, one, because I don't like to argue about trivial things, like football, and two, because it's obviously a large part of your personality, but I swear sometimes you just like to argue for argument's sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots