PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rey Maualuga Pro Day Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talent almost always trumps character. Christian Peter's rights were abdicated because of a domestic violence incident. Ben Coates was not. Ron Rutledge (or maybe Lovett Purnell) was cut in the aftermath of a highway car race coming back from Providence. Another player, and again I think it was Ben Coates, who was with him, was not. Willie Andrews was cut for possession of Marijuana. Kevin Faulk was not.

Lawrence Taylor got away with doing virtually nothing Monday-Saturday, routinely missed curfews, attempted to undermine Belichick virtually every day, had a chronic alcohol and drug problem, yet on Sunday he was unblockable, so it was all tolerated.

As Warren Haynes once said "****ie Betts was always a pain in the ass, but as long as he could play, we could overlook it. Once his performance started slipping, nobody was willing to put up with his sh!t anymore."
Willie Andrews wasn't cut after the MJ incident, it was the gun waving at the girlfriend case that 'done him in.' I also don't think the Andrews and Faulk cases were parallel, one had a few doobies in his jacket at a concert, the other was arrested for intent to distribute and was found with quantities considered personal use only by a select few judges and Cheech & Chong fans.

Well there's the shooting incident and you can say well he was defending a fellow hurricane still doesnt make it conduct becoming of a model student-athlete; as well as the miami-FIU brawl where he was seen clearly stomping the hell out of one of the opposing players. I never recall troy brown smackin up anyone as far as model pats are concerned. I personally don't think these are big deals(besides the shooting incident which speaks to the company you keep) but for the sake of debate how are those not red flags?

If BB drafts him, it will just be another IBBIT moment - then I'll try to apply anything I may have learned from this draft to the next exercise in fan folly.

hmmm, fan follies bergere, perhaps.

I'm happy to admit I've learned quite a bit here, so much so that I don't know anything at all.

It makes me less anxious on Draft Day...

Scrapping with someone is one thing but when you stomp them thats another. I recall another guy doing something similar (which honestly was less of a crime) Marcus Vick anyone? Where is he right now........

Well there's the shooting incident and you can say well he was defending a fellow hurricane still doesnt make it conduct becoming of a model student-athlete; as well as the miami-FIU brawl where he was seen clearly stomping the hell out of one of the opposing players. I never recall troy brown smackin up anyone as far as model pats are concerned. I personally don't think these are big deals(besides the shooting incident which speaks to the company you keep) but for the sake of debate how are those not red flags?
They were, which is why I had him off my board because I could not investigate to determine just how significant the problem(s) may have been. Others acknowledged the issues, but left him on their boards due to his talent. To each his own from a fan's perspective. From the organization's perspective, you know they went into those incidents in depth. I remember wanting Brandon Marshall after seeing him play in the Hula Bowl, now I sit here and note what a fine job BB & Co. did bypassing that turd - I knew nothing of off-field issues, but the Pats apparently did.

I'm happy to admit I've learned quite a bit here, so much so that I don't know anything at all.
You've always been the model for cyclical reasoning.

one would also think that safety would also have fairly high standards, and to keep singing the same tune, they took Merriweather.

Frankly, I didn't expect them to take Meriweather, and had plenty of arguments about him here before the draft. The summary was that he had too many question marks for a #21 pick: the "character flags," certainly, but more importantly his size and measurables. Prior to Meriweather, every first rounder BB had picked had prototype measurables for his position. But every draft rule is made to be broken, right?

On the other hand, Meriweather didn't have question marks about his "football character" -- well-respected, hard-working team captain who played with good discipline and awareness.

They were, which is why I had him off my board because I could not investigate to determine just how significant the problem(s) may have been. Others acknowledged the issues, but left him on their boards due to his talent. To each his own from a fan's perspective. From the organization's perspective, you know they went into those incidents in depth. I remember wanting Brandon Marshall after seeing him play in the Hula Bowl, now I sit here and note what a fine job BB & Co. did bypassing that turd - I knew nothing of off-field issues, but the Pats apparently did.

Exactly Box, thats why i say we as fans can banter but the odds we'll get this stuff right is slim to none the pats have been very good in this regard while teams such as the bengals have not. They are like a fortune 500 insurance company when it comes to assessing Risk-reward situations. Being from Philly I have to bring up Draft day 1999 and the Eagles select Donovan McNabb......... Boooooo!!! Why? because everyone wanted Ricky Williams how'd that eventually turn out for New Orleans......

You've always been the model for cyclical reasoning.

Based on the results of our collective critical thinking here over several years of data, I tend to follow Camus' line of thinking.

It makes me less anxious on Draft Day...

When I first started to get "into" the draft many year ago, I thought I knew but I didn't know what I didn't know.

But now after almost 20 years of being a draftnik, I do know what I don't know and that's a lot.:p

If I'm understanding him correctly, Box is arguing that Maualuga freelances because that's what Carroll asks him to do. Should we hold that against him?

I personally like Maualuga for the pats i think by teaming he and mayo we can dominant the middle of the field for years come. Besides theres another playmaker from usc that freelances alot by the name of troy polamalu albeit different positions but i think maualuga can really be a game changer like polamalu is.

When I first started to get "into" the draft many year ago, I thought I knew but I didn't know what I didn't know.

But now after almost 20 years of being a draftnik, I do know what I don't know and that's a lot.:p

I know, I've see seen who you want at #23....:p

I personally like Maualuga for the pats i think by teaming he and mayo we can dominant the middle of the field for years come. Besides theres another playmaker from usc that freelances alot by the name of troy polamalu albeit different positions but i think maualuga can really be a game changer like polamalu is.

Just to clarify since it got quoted, that's not exactly what Box is saying, so I corrected the original post.

Also, good point about Polamalu.

Did you just say that with a straight face?

If you can get into USC on an athletic scholarship, you very well might be stupid. We're not talking about Northwestern or Vanderbilt here. You need the bare minimum academic qualifications...just like Ohio State, Miami of Florida, and West Virginia.

Im not talking about any of thoes other schools. My cousin was recruited by USC and they take academics very seriously. Fortunatly he had good grades but If you are a great athlete but your pulling D's and C's You will be overlooked.

Talent almost always trumps character. Christian Peter's rights were abdicated because of a domestic violence incident. Ben Coates was not. Ron Rutledge (or maybe Lovett Purnell) was cut in the aftermath of a highway car race coming back from Providence. Another player, and again I think it was Ben Coates, who was with him, was not. Willie Andrews was cut for possession of Marijuana. Kevin Faulk was not.

Ben Coates - Bill Belichick wasn't the coach at the time.
Rod Rutledge - He was the one with Coates, but, again, Belichick wasn't the coach at the time it happened.
Willie Andrews -You were corrected on him
Kevin Faulk - Was given misdemeanor citiation. A far cry from Andrews' antics

It should be noted that Coates wasn't retained by the Patriots after Belichick was hired.

Lawrence Taylor got away with doing virtually nothing Monday-Saturday, routinely missed curfews, attempted to undermine Belichick virtually every day, had a chronic alcohol and drug problem, yet on Sunday he was unblockable, so it was all tolerated.

Parcells was the Head Coach. Belichick was just a Coordinator.

If you can get into the university of Southern California than you are NOT stupid.

I'm sorry. But lets get real here. There are players every year who get into major university programs who get there because of their skills, not their brains. If you think that USC is different from any other major university, then you are fooling yourself.

Like I said he had to get medical clerance before you perfom at the combine so no it was not stupid for him to go and attempt to work out at the combine.

He had to get medical clearance so that the NFL couldn't be held responsible if he got injured again. Its a requirement of the NFL's insurance company. It has nothing to do with Maualuga's well being.

And, yes, it was stupid for him to go out there and attempt to work out at the combine if he wasn't 100%.

Calling somebody stupid implies that they cannot make good decisions.

Maualuga has a history of not making good decisions to this point. Including exacerbating an injury.

Is randy moss stupid for not trying in Oakland? was Brady stupid because he didnt use a condom?

Randy Moss did try in Oakland during his 1st season there. He gave up when the team did.

As for Brady, how do you know he didn't use a condom? Condoms are not 100% effective.

You act like you have never made misktakes in your life. Stupid is doing the same thing over and over expecting a diffrent reaction or outcome. Rey Maualuga is not stupid you dont know him personally nor do you know most of these prospects becuase if you did you wouldnt make statements like that.

If you are going to try and correct someone about the word they use, the least you could do is have the correct definition yourself. What you described is insanity. Being stupid is not having the capacity or not using the capacity to think through one's actions.

You are right. I don't know Maualuga. But I can say he's stupid for the actions he makes that could jeopardize a multi-million dollar career.

Sorry if you don't care for that. Show something that flies to the contrary. Don't sit there and whine about it.

And, yes, it was stupid for him to go out there and attempt to work out at the combine if he wasn't 100%.

Or heroic for gutting it out in spite of the injury because he wanted to show teams what he's made of and because he loves football so much. ;)

What difference does it make whether a player that BB wants is a draftee or FA? Veteran players who have past character issues arguably should be avoided more than still-maturing college prospects. BB will look at any player who can be coached, buys into the system, and has the ability to learn from past mistakes. He also won't hesitate to cut or trade a "high character" player who isn't cutting it on the field.

It makes a world of difference as to whether the player was drafted by BB or brought in as a Free agent by him or was here before BB took over.

Lets take Corey Dillon for instance. Dillon had a huge history of having past character flaws. Yet, Dillon proved that he had changed by keeping his nose clean other than a domestic violence misdemeanor charge against he and his wife. Belichick talked with Dillon ahead of time to make sure Dillon knew what was expected of him and to ensure that everything would be kosher before pulling the trigger on the deal.

Randy Moss. The issues with him were blown out of proportion. Both in Minnesota and in Oakland. However, BB still talked to him and got the assurance from Moss by Moss signing the prove it deal.

There are no "prove it" deals with draft picks.

If you look at BB's history, it's really hard to argue that he gets too hung up on character issues per se, otherwise our team would consist mainly of players from BYU, the Air Force Academy, or the Citadel.

Anyway the point is that, the idea that there is some kind of blueprint for a "Patriot-type player" has been overstated. All these players are ultimately evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

You clearly haven't looked at BB's history to see that he DOES get hung up on character issues that he feels will be detrimental to the team. And he's not been hesitant about cutting those players. Willie Andrews, Danny Baugher, and Kenyatta Jones are all examples.

Or heroic for gutting it out in spite of the injury because he wanted to show teams what he's made of and because he loves football so much. ;)

Context of the situation. He's not getting paid and his future salary rests on how well he does.

It would have been heroic if it was the 4th quarter of the SB with :45 seconds remaining and it was 4th and 1 from the 1 yard line with the opposing team driving for the game winning touchdown and he came back on the field to make the stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes