PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rey Maualuga Pro Day Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
BB and Pioli both said that from 2001 to 2007, they evaluated whether or not their standards for playing LB on the Patriots were too high. And they always came back and said that they weren't. Which would explain why the Patriots couldn't find any high level LB talent in those drafts (Bradley excluded). And would explain why it took until Mayo to find someone like that.

LB or ILB? They've found enough OLBs out of college, but not necessarily high in the draft. Where did they say this?

Edit: one would also think that safety would also have fairly high standards, and to keep singing the same tune, they took Merriweather.

Last edited:
Merriweather is a good comparison not only for these reasons (most people thought he was not Patriots material because of them, legal gun or not, in a similar way that Box is questioning his leadership abilities, right or wrong), but also because the Miami program was in such disarray. USC is not in disarray, but what went on in Miami was so far from disciplined football that it was hard to evaluate the players based on what the team was doing or telling them. So we had to do a lot of projection.

Who is this "we" you refer to in the "we had to do a lot of projection"? Us fans? Or the Patriots Scouting staff and then coaching staff? If its the former, as a whole, we are oblivious and don't know what goes on or how its evaluated. If its the latter, when did you join the Pats coaching or scouting staff? :p

Why wasn't a proper link given? Because everyone knows that Full Content of Player pages on NFLDraftScout.com (where I read the blurb, not on CBSSPORTS.COM) are only viewable if you have a paid subscription. So, giving you the link would not have done anything for people who didn't have a membership.

NFL Draft Scout Rankings, From Prep to Pro Coverage for Pros by Pros - Powered by the Sports Xchange

There is the link. Go to it. Have fun.

Here is another blurb that says it wasn't an ankle injury that he had worked on, but the blister.

NFL Draft Scout Rankings, From Prep to Pro Coverage for Pros by Pros - Powered by the Sports Xchange

Again, you probably won't be able to read it because its a members thing. And it was posted by Frank Tadych of NFL.com.
Now, where is the link where you got your blurb from?

Who said anything about lying? I simply asked why Mayock was the only one who reported it to be an ankle. Frank Tadych, of NFL.COM, reported that it was the blister that Maualuga had worked on, not his ankle. And it could very well have been that Mayock was going with initial, incorrect, reports.

As for being here on the Pro Day, sorry that I felt that spending time with my Niece in Cali was more important than watching the pro day of some of the most consistently over-rated players who come out of college.

You threw it out there in a vain attempt to make a point. The only point you made was that Maualuga isn't that tough and is stupid because he shouldn't have run on it when it wasn't 100%. Him straining it at the combine made the initial injury worse and, there fore, made the healing time longer. Instead of 4 weeks and having 3 weeks to train and get himself ready, he re-injured himself and basically was forced to potentially damage the muscle worse in the long term and turn it into a chronic issue.

Since you are a paid subscriber than what is the difference between the CBS sports article and the Draftscout article becuase they are working together. You are stating your opinion as fact and that is dead wrong, that is why you are having problems with Mav becuase you go around calling prospects that we like stupid. Have I ever called Barwin stupid or not tough? No i respectfully state my case against him (at #23) and move on I dont call people stupid.

LB or ILB? They've found enough OLBs out of college, but not necessarily high in the draft. Where did they say this?

They said it in interviews over the years. Its appeared in print in the Herald and the Globe.

And, I might be mistaken, but I believe it also appeared in Mike Holley's book "Patriots Reign".

Edit: one would also think that safety would also have fairly high standards, and to keep singing the same tune, they took Merriweather.

Again, Meriweather was a model citizen other than the helmet incident. Do you have information to the contrary?

As for Safety, BB has said that they've needed to change how they evaluate it. That was done in a piece in the Globe this year.

Last edited:
Who is this "we" you refer to in the "we had to do a lot of projection"? Us fans? Or the Patriots Scouting staff and then coaching staff? If its the former, as a whole, we are oblivious and don't know what goes on or how its evaluated. If its the latter, when did you join the Pats coaching or scouting staff? :p

LOL, we as in the Patriots scouting and coaching staff. I'm not a member, but I've got a junior scout talent decoding ring and, one day, if I keep working at it....

LOL, we as in the Patriots scouting and coaching staff. I'm not a member, but I've got a junior scout talent decoding ring and, one day, if I keep working at it....
So, BB's fiendish plan to send out false codes in cereal boxes not only has the J_E_S_T suck, suck, suck, confused, but it's also served as a clever tool for generating internet discussion! The depths to which that man will sink! :ugh:

Again, Meriweather was a model citizen other than the helmet incident. Do you have information to the contrary?

What I'm getting at is there is nothing about Rey character-wise that is worse than Brandon, and there's not much bad about Brandon.

Except that Rey's not chiseled. He ran a better 40 and we're complaining about it.

Edit: clarification.

Last edited:
Merriweather is a good comparison not only for these reasons (most people thought he was not Patriots material because of them, legal gun or not, in a similar way that Box is questioning his leadership abilities, right or wrong), but also because the Miami program was in such disarray. USC is not in disarray, but what went on in Miami was so far from disciplined football that it was hard to evaluate the players based on what the team was doing or telling them. So we had to do a lot of projection.

I agree with this statement, most ppl including myself remember alot of red flags regaurding our now starting FS. I already liked randy moss so i was all for that move but it was biased. If i had not already been a fan of randy i would have thought the character issues would be an immediate detterent for BB and Co. Maybe talent wins over character to a certain extent. I wouldn't be surprised if they have some type of chart for this stuff up @ H.Q

You seem to be more confused than normal ;), Search & Rescue is just a tad bit different from Navy Special Forces.

Now, to clarify for you: I have experience identifying and training team leaders for search & rescue programs. If you were to pull up a job description for a department that might hire such people (State Police, Fire/Rescue, Sheriffs, National Forest Service, National Park Service, etc.) that job description would list the minimum requirements you would want the person applying to bring to the table in the hiring process. It's no different for an ILB or a janitor or a secretary or a Fortune 500 CEO, each job has specific requirements for that job.

Now I listed things that would seem to describe attributes a NE ILB should have, if in your experience they look like the attributes for a Navy Seal, I can only say that BB is recruiting his ILBs in the wrong places. I personally prefer an ILB who doesn't need to use demolition charges to disengage from a blocker.

I hope that cleared things up for you and allows you to reread my post with greater understanding. :)

Back at ya. ;)

Just taking a jab at you with the Navy Seal criteria comment, you being ex-military apparently. :) The point is, you seem to be saying that to qualify to be a Patriot ILB you must have similar attributes of a top organizational commander, period. Mayo notwithstanding, that's simply untrue. Look at some of Belichick's LB's of the past.

To say that there is some sort of blueprint for drafting LB's that is set in stone, applies to all players and and ignores how BB feels about a certain player's potential for grasping the system, shows some confusion on your part about how this works.

Since you are a paid subscriber than what is the difference between the CBS sports article and the Draftscout article becuase they are working together. You are stating your opinion as fact and that is dead wrong, that is why you are having problems with Mav becuase you go around calling prospects that we like stupid. Have I ever called Barwin stupid or not tough? No i respectfully state my case against him (at #23) and move on I dont call people stupid.

There is a huge difference between what is on CBSSports.com and on the Paid NFLDraftScout.com pages. Go back and look up the thread about NFLDraftScout.com being gone that's here on the Patsfans.com website. It talks about it there.

Now, Lets get a few other things straight.

Maualuga's intelligence has been questioned, both on and off the field, long before I made my comments in this thread. I am not portraying my opinion of him as fact. I am saying that his actions reinforce what was said about him previously. I called him STUPID for his decision to risk a potential career by not being healthy at the time of his "interviews". What else would you call it when a person risks a Multi-million dollar salary by not being properly prepared for said "interviews"? If its not stupid, what is it?

Next, if you are getting upset because I or anyone else called a prospect stupid because of his actions, then its you who has the issue. I didn't attack YOU. I didn't call you stupid for liking him.

You should remember that, like you, I am entitled to my opinion. Otherwise, you are basically saying that no one can talk about the negatives of a player or his actions.

I agree with this statement, most ppl including myself remember alot of red flags regaurding our now starting FS. I already liked randy moss so i was all for that move but it was biased. If i had not already been a fan of randy i would have thought the character issues would be an immediate detterent for BB and Co. Maybe talent wins over character to a certain extent. I wouldn't be surprised if they have some type of chart for this stuff up @ H.Q

What are all these supposed red flags? Please list them.

What I'm getting at is there is nothing about Rey character-wise that is worse than Brandon, and there's not much bad about Brandon.

Except that Rey's not chiseled. He ran a better 40 and we're complaining about it.

Edit: clarification.
Actually there is: NFL Draft - NFL draft preview and analysis from Pro Football Weekly
Laurinaitis and Beckwith both brought great leadership to the field and have been model citizens off it. The same can not be said for Maualuga, who program sources publicly said had matured after finding trouble early in his career while dealing with his father's battle with cancer.

Maualuga not only showed poor judgment preceding the Rose Bowl, when he mocked ESPN reporter Erin Andrews, and later apologized, inside sources also have pointed to the need for Maualuga to be closely monitored, as well-trusted fellow linebackers Keith Rivers and Cushing were deliberately assigned to be his roommates on the road to provide the stability he needed to stay out of trouble.
Meriweather was involved in a couple of violent incidents that needed some indepth investigation (beyond anything fans could do), but he was considered a leader on and off the field. Rey, based on this report and the negatives in his NFL Draft Scout profile has more serious concerns. I'll be the first to tell you I did not have Meriweather on my board, I couldn't investigate him so, with questions of that magnitude unanswered, he was scratched. BB could and did have him investigated, I'm content.

Maualuga wouldn't even be on my board before the allegations raised in that article, so they are a moot point for me, but I would actually consider these claims - if valid - to be much more damning for a NE ILB than anything Meriweather was involved with at Miami.

Actually there is: NFL Draft - NFL draft preview and analysis from Pro Football WeeklyMeriweather was involved in a couple of violent incidents that needed some indepth investigation (beyond anything fans could do), but he was considered a leader on and off the field. Rey, based on this report and the negatives in his NFL Draft Scout profile has more serious concerns. I'll be the first to tell you I did not have Meriweather on my board, I couldn't investigate him so, with questions of that magnitude unanswered, he was scratched. BB could and did have him investigated, I'm content.

Maualuga wouldn't even be on my board before the allegations raised in that article, so they are a moot point for me, but I would actually consider these claims - if valid - to be much more damning for a NE ILB than anything Meriweather was involved with at Miami.

Interesting, never came across this somehow:confused:. I am seeing a ton of red flags on this kid but I am going off what he does on the field not off it sometimes when I evaluate. That is why I like the DT Baker from Hampton, but I am usually to omptimistic when it comes to guy's changing. Having guys babysit this kid when he should be mature enough to understand how much money he is throwing away really upsets me.

Moving on have I mentioned how much I like English??:D

Maybe talent wins over character to a certain extent. I wouldn't be surprised if they have some type of chart for this stuff up @ H.Q

Talent almost always trumps character. Christian Peter's rights were abdicated because of a domestic violence incident. Ben Coates was not. Ron Rutledge (or maybe Lovett Purnell) was cut in the aftermath of a highway car race coming back from Providence. Another player, and again I think it was Ben Coates, who was with him, was not. Willie Andrews was cut for possession of Marijuana. Kevin Faulk was not.

Lawrence Taylor got away with doing virtually nothing Monday-Saturday, routinely missed curfews, attempted to undermine Belichick virtually every day, had a chronic alcohol and drug problem, yet on Sunday he was unblockable, so it was all tolerated.

As Warren Haynes once said "****ie Betts was always a pain in the ass, but as long as he could play, we could overlook it. Once his performance started slipping, nobody was willing to put up with his sh!t anymore."

Back at ya. ;)

Just taking a jab at you with the Navy Seal criteria comment, you being ex-military apparently. :) The point is, you seem to be saying that to qualify to be a Patriot ILB you must have similar attributes of a top organizational commander, period. Mayo notwithstanding, that's simply untrue. Look at some of Belichick's LB's of the past.

To say that there is some sort of blueprint for drafting LB's that is set in stone, applies to all players and and ignores how BB feels about a certain player's potential for grasping the system, shows some confusion on your part about how this works.
Confusion is nothing new for me. :) However, if you look at who BB has played inside by preference (as opposed to the bad situation that forced Beisel and Brown inside) and you'll see the vast majority of those traits were there: Bruschi, Phifer, Vrabel, Thomas, Mayo. T.J. before all the brain trauma I can't speak to, afterwards, that was sad. Bru has spoken glowingly of Guyton. Alexander came from Saban as a MLB, so whatever we may think of him as a player, he came out of a mold BB likes. Maualuga doesn't hold a candle to these guys from what I've read and the little of his 'leadership' or 'conduct' I can decipher on TV. As I've already pointed out, I don't think his play warrants considering him for a NE ILB, but when you start piling up the references to his needing strong team leaders to ride herd on him, he never get's near my board.

If BB drafts him, it will just be another IBBIT moment - then I'll try to apply anything I may have learned from this draft to the next exercise in fan folly.

Actually there is: NFL Draft - NFL draft preview and analysis from Pro Football WeeklyMeriweather was involved in a couple of violent incidents that needed some indepth investigation (beyond anything fans could do), but he was considered a leader on and off the field. Rey, based on this report and the negatives in his NFL Draft Scout profile has more serious concerns. I'll be the first to tell you I did not have Meriweather on my board, I couldn't investigate him so, with questions of that magnitude unanswered, he was scratched. BB could and did have him investigated, I'm content.

Yeah, that's true about the reporter and his issues when his dad was sick. I forgot about them. Is he really a bad kid, though? Each team is going to have to talk to him to find out, I guess.

There is a huge difference between what is on CBSSports.com and on the Paid NFLDraftScout.com pages. Go back and look up the thread about NFLDraftScout.com being gone that's here on the Patsfans.com website. It talks about it there.

Now, Lets get a few other things straight.

Maualuga's intelligence has been questioned, both on and off the field, long before I made my comments in this thread. I am not portraying my opinion of him as fact. I am saying that his actions reinforce what was said about him previously. I called him STUPID for his decision to risk a potential career by not being healthy at the time of his "interviews". What else would you call it when a person risks a Multi-million dollar salary by not being properly prepared for said "interviews"? If its not stupid, what is it?

Next, if you are getting upset because I or anyone else called a prospect stupid because of his actions, then its you who has the issue. I didn't attack YOU. I didn't call you stupid for liking him.

You should remember that, like you, I am entitled to my opinion. Otherwise, you are basically saying that no one can talk about the negatives of a player or his actions.

If you can get into the university of Southern California than you are NOT stupid. Like I said he had to get medical clerance before you perfom at the combine so no it was not stupid for him to go and attempt to work out at the combine. Calling somebody stupid implies that they cannot make good decisions. Is randy moss stupid for not trying in Oakland? was Brady stupid because he didnt use a condom? You act like you have never made misktakes in your life. Stupid is doing the same thing over and over expecting a diffrent reaction or outcome. Rey Maualuga is not stupid you dont know him personally nor do you know most of these prospects becuase if you did you wouldnt make statements like that.

Its your exaggerations of what Box says that are getting absurd.

Kevin Faulk and Randy Moss weren't drafted by Belichick.

Meriweather, except for the on field helmet incident, was a model citizen. Could you cite something other than that and the gun incident where he was legally defending a friend to support this idea?

How does Wilfork not fit what Box mentioned?

Same with Kaczur? What things in his college career would have precluded him?

It should also be noted by you that BB has cut players such as Willie Andrews, Kenyatta Jones and Danny Baugher for off field incidents.

It should also be noted that Moss and Dillon were acquired and given "Prove yourself" contracts as stipulations for coming to the team.

What difference does it make whether a player that BB wants is a draftee or FA? Veteran players who have past character issues arguably should be avoided more than still-maturing college prospects. BB will look at any player who can be coached, buys into the system, and has the ability to learn from past mistakes. He also won't hesitate to cut or trade a "high character" player who isn't cutting it on the field.

If you look at BB's history, it's really hard to argue that he gets too hung up on character issues per se, otherwise our team would consist mainly of players from BYU, the Air Force Academy, or the Citadel.

Anyway the point is that, the idea that there is some kind of blueprint for a "Patriot-type player" has been overstated. All these players are ultimately evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

If you can get into the university of Southern California than you are NOT stupid. .

Did you just say that with a straight face?

If you can get into USC on an athletic scholarship, you very well might be stupid. We're not talking about Northwestern or Vanderbilt here. You need the bare minimum academic qualifications...just like Ohio State, Miami of Florida, and West Virginia.

Last edited:
Talent almost always trumps character. Christian Peter's rights were abdicated because of a domestic violence incident. Ben Coates was not. Ron Rutledge (or maybe Lovett Purnell) was cut in the aftermath of a highway car race coming back from Providence. Another player, and again I think it was Ben Coates, who was with him, was not. Willie Andrews was cut for possession of Marijuana. Kevin Faulk was not.

Lawrence Taylor got away with doing virtually nothing Monday-Saturday, routinely missed curfews, attempted to undermine Belichick virtually every day, had a chronic alcohol and drug problem, yet on Sunday he was unblockable, so it was all tolerated.

As Warren Haynes once said "****ie Betts was always a pain in the ass, but as long as he could play, we could overlook it. Once his performance started slipping, nobody was willing to put up with his sh!t anymore."

Wow you hit the nail on the head with that post and I loved the book you referenced before "The Education of a Coach ". LT would be out drinking and doing other things like drugs, women ect and Bill would go looking for him in the morning and drag his butt to the stadium and he would pull like a 8 tackle 2 sack and int:D:D:D LT was a very rare breed of man and would not get off in today's NFL but he is still a legend. I am not sure that the Pats would look at a young guy on talent alone until they are proven (Dillion and Moss). Character is a huge thing for Kraft and BB IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back