Status
Not open for further replies.

Ring 6

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
For some reason Rex Ryan is being considered some type of coaching genius. Many people think his presence makes the Jets defense great.
Rather than a first year coach, and more than a guy like Mangini who learned at the feet of the master, this blowhard is being annointed not only competant (which he may not even be) but good.
Why?
His father was a coach, so that must make him good? But his father was a poor or medicore at best coach.
He came from the great Raven defense system. Umm, he was 3rd in line as DC, and the least successful of the 3. (The Ravens averaged worst than 9-7 in his 4 years as DC)
His predecessors Marvin Lewis and Mike Nolan, not only ran better defenses in Baltimore, but have failed in their HC jobs, including both having poor defenses.
Ryan is a disciple of Brian Billick who underachieved with the Ravens and ended up fired after 2 losing seasons in 3.
I don't get it. But it seems the aggressive, "I'm a jerk, don't you like me? approacjh he is taking is a good shield to the fact that this guy probably was a terrible hire who isnlt equipped to be a HC.
If the Jets are an 8-8 team (which I think they are) with an average coach, they could be in for a run of 3-13 to 5-11 years before they realize this buffoon was a mistake.

I thought he was just hired to spell Jenkins later in the year? :)

If the Jets are an 8-8 team (which I think they are) with an average coach, they could be in for a run of 3-13 to 5-11 years before they realize this buffoon was a mistake.
I can live with that.

For some reason Rex Ryan is being considered some type of coaching genius. Many people think his presence makes the Jets defense great.
Rather than a first year coach, and more than a guy like Mangini who learned at the feet of the master, this blowhard is being annointed not only competant (which he may not even be) but good.
Why?
His father was a coach, so that must make him good? But his father was a poor or medicore at best coach.
He came from the great Raven defense system. Umm, he was 3rd in line as DC, and the least successful of the 3. (The Ravens averaged worst than 9-7 in his 4 years as DC)
His predecessors Marvin Lewis and Mike Nolan, not only ran better defenses in Baltimore, but have failed in their HC jobs, including both having poor defenses.
Ryan is a disciple of Brian Billick who underachieved with the Ravens and ended up fired after 2 losing seasons in 3.
I don't get it. But it seems the aggressive, "I'm a jerk, don't you like me? approacjh he is taking is a good shield to the fact that this guy probably was a terrible hire who isnlt equipped to be a HC.

His dad invented the 46 defense with the Bears that killed teams before offenses caught up with it. His moment of glory was the 1985 season as a defensive coordinator. As a head coach for the Eagles and Cardinals, he failed miserably.

I think Tubby Wrecks rode the coattails of Ray Lewis in Baltimore to a large extent; he was OK as a DC but is more motivator than innovator. He's already abdicated responsibility for the offense in Jersey. I hope he's there at least three years.

His dad invented the 46 defense with the Bears that killed teams before offenses caught up with it. His moment of glory was the 1985 season as a defensive coordinator. As a head coach for the Eagles and Cardinals, he failed miserably.

I think Tubby Wrecks rode the coattails of Ray Lewis in Baltimore to a large extent; he was OK as a DC but is more motivator than innovator. He's already abdicated responsibility for the offense in Jersey. I hope he's there at least three years.

Why does he get credit for the Bmore defense though? It was better before he took over, and the team was an average of 8.5-7.5 in his 4 years as DC.
I think he fell into an easy job coaching a defense that had all of the players in place, and all of the schemes already established, with the players well-versed in them. Doing OK is actually kind of like failure in that situation.
Remember, Billick got fired after he had losing seasons in 2 of the 3 years Ryan was DC. He won with the other DCs.

Just a point of clarification. Buddy Ryan didn't invent the 46, but he was the first to use it as a primary defense in the NFL. It became known then, and he got to name it, but it was in existence for a long time as a concept and scheme.

Why does he get credit for the Bmore defense though? It was better before he took over, and the team was an average of 8.5-7.5 in his 4 years as DC.
I think he fell into an easy job coaching a defense that had all of the players in place, and all of the schemes already established, with the players well-versed in them. Doing OK is actually kind of like failure in that situation.
Remember, Billick got fired after he had losing seasons in 2 of the 3 years Ryan was DC. He won with the other DCs.

Just a point of clarification. Buddy Ryan didn't invent the 46, but he was the first to use it as a primary defense in the NFL. It became known then, and he got to name it, but it was in existence for a long time as a concept and scheme.

Don't forget that he also was involved in a system constructed by one of the better talent evaluators and football guys around in Ozzie Newsome.

He comes from a winning organization (well, some years) so people think he knows how to run one. While the jury's out on that, one thing is for sure. His personality as a coach sucks, much like his dad's did.

You don't come in and say you're not kissing anyone's rings for no reason. Talk about out of the blue. Than he wants to say they feel confident? How the **** would he know? He hasn't even had a day in TC as a HC, let alone an NFL game of any caliber. So honestly, who is this fat **** to talk? If he wants to say something he should say "We haven't made the playoffs the last 2 years, we got work to do" etc. etc.

It's cool though, I love it. It gives me something to read and (sometimes) rant about. He's going to feel reeeeeal dumb if he's sitting at home in the playoffs.

Daddy Buddy will always be known as the coordinator and coaching of the best defense in NFL history in the 85 Bears - Teams in that era could not simply overcome the Bears dominance on D and scoring was very difficult..just ask the 85 Patriots :(

Rex has had success in Baltimore and was a SB winner like dad, but the Ravens could never compare with the talent of the Bears back then.

If I had Ray Lewis,Terrell Suggs and Bart Scott in the center of that defense and the best safety in the game in Reed,Even I could have coached them well - The talent in NY is far less than what he has coached before - Bart Scott will be a fish out of water.

Daddy Buddy will always be known as the coordinator and coaching of the best defense in NFL history in the 85 Bears - Teams in that era could not simply overcome the Bears dominance on D and scoring was very difficult..just ask the 85 Patriots :(

Rex has had success in Baltimore and was a SB winner like dad, but the Ravens could never compare with the talent of the Bears back then.

If I had Ray Lewis,Terrell Suggs and Bart Scott in the center of that defense and the best safety in the game in Reed,Even I could have coached them well - The talent in NY is far less than what he has coached before - Bart Scott will be a fish out of water.

But thats the point he didnt really have success. He was NOT the DC when they won the SB. And while he was the DC they averaged 8.5-7.5 records. Half a game over .500 isnt what i consider success, and isnt what you think of when you hear he was the DC of the Ravens. I dont have the time to look, but i'm sure the defensive play declined terribly while the overall team did too.
Your point of the 85 Bears is a good one, because you are saying that D dominated everyone. However they won only 1 SB, and when Ryan went to Philly and Az he won nothing, so just like Bmore we see it is often the players, not the coach, esp the one who was the 3rd in line.

For some reason.....

He's the antithesis of Mangini for the NY and mainstream media: a story every time he opens that uncensored claptrap. The media adding superlatives and excessive adjectives is merely a by-product of the story as it is invented.

But thats the point he didnt really have success. He was NOT the DC when they won the SB. And while he was the DC they averaged 8.5-7.5 records. Half a game over .500 isnt what i consider success, and isnt what you think of when you hear he was the DC of the Ravens. I dont have the time to look, but i'm sure the defensive play declined terribly while the overall team did too.
Your point of the 85 Bears is a good one, because you are saying that D dominated everyone. However they won only 1 SB, and when Ryan went to Philly and Az he won nothing, so just like Bmore we see it is often the players, not the coach, esp the one who was the 3rd in line.

All your points are valid. But I'm beginning to think we should just sit back and enjoy watching the Green Beans continue to flounder under this fat clown. Tubby Wrecks is GOOD for the Patriots.

All your points are valid. But I'm beginning to think we should just sit back and enjoy watching the Green Beans continue to flounder under this fat clown. Tubby Wrecks is GOOD for the Patriots.

True, but i like to be the guy who sees it before everyone rather than analyzing in retrospect.
Thats why I make a lot of predictions, and it is very easy to find some I was wrong about.

Rex Ryan is no genius the ravens always have a solid d it was even better before he coached them anyway.

I figured his Pedigree was what he ate when he ran out of food After an hour at camp.

Buddy's "46" overload weakside Blitz led to League Dominance for at least a season and a half, before the League's OCs caught up with it. Walsh showed how and that was that for the "46" and Buddy.

7-7 plus laydowns doesnt tell me he is going to Canton.

Your whole premise of the thread was wrong. Anyway, Jets reached a 2 year extension with Coach Ryan. Best defense in the league is here to stay! From Jay Glazer's twitter:
Breaking news: I am reporting that the jets today signed head coach rex ryan to a 2 year extension.

Your whole premise of the thread was wrong. Anyway, Jets reached a 2 year extension with Coach Ryan. Best defense in the league is here to stay! From Jay Glazer's twitter:
Breaking news: I am reporting that the jets today signed head coach rex ryan to a 2 year extension.

Not without Revis, it isn't.

My objective opinion of Rex is that he's mostly a motivator, as someone else pointed out. His players really seem to like him, but you have to wonder how that will hold up if things don't go well.

I don't know much about his scheme, but it looked pretty effective last year. It definitely helps that Mangini seems to have built a solid, young foundation for the Jets to build on.

I actually don't like many of their offseason moves, even from an objective standpoint. It doesn't make sense to blow up a locker room that, at least from my perspective, appeared to gel in a way that most teams only dream of. I believe that's why they were able to win in the playoffs. Now that seems a question mark for the Jets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes