PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rex Ryan told Chandler Jones he wanted to draft him, but was overruled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Shalise Manza Young: Rex Ryan told C. Jones he wanted to draft him, but was overr

Rex is full of it.

Re: Shalise Manza Young: Rex Ryan told C. Jones he wanted to draft him, but was overr

ROFL and they took Coples 5 picks ahead of Jones too.
I love Mel Kipers quote - "The New York Jets clearly don't know what the draft is all about!"

NY Jets Draft Blunders - YouTube

Ken O'Brien over Marino
Kyle Brady over Sapp
and now Coples over Jones!

LOLOL

Gholston over Mayo

Lets not assume Jones will be better than Coples...Yet
....it's only 6 games into both players careers.

One thing that is a constant in here...if a Patriot is a rookie and not performing all that well in the first month we hear in here "give him time, it usually takes a few years to develop"......if that player was on another team,he's a bust already :rolleyes:

Everybody thought McCourty was going to be a stud and the best CB in the 2010 draft based on 1 season

Lets see how they compare in a year or two

That being said,there have been several nice looking rookies from round 1 thus far,including Jones.

Last edited:

As I recall from when the jets were on hard knocks, Rex said he got one pick per year and he used it on a fullback....talk about the village idiot.....

After that they probably took his one pick away and send him out for popsicles on draft day.

It's possible that Rex didn't think Coples would be there at 17, and so assumed Jones would be his highest rated player available.

I'm pretty sure that this was probably the case. Most draft prognosticators had Coples going in the top 10. And most had C Jones going top second round. Jones stock got really hot right before the draft. As Coples fell a few notches. I doubt Rex knew Coples would be there at 16. I bet if Coples and Jones were there at 21, BB might have gone for Coples, Coples was probably higher up on every NHL teams boards than Jones. That being said, I'm thrilled to have Jones as a Patriot, and really don't care about what Coples does, though I do think he will be a stud as well.

Lets not assume Jones will be better than Coples...Yet
....it's only 6 games into both players careers.

One thing that is a constant in here...if a Patriot is a rookie and not performing all that well in the first month we hear in here "give him time, it usually takes a few years to develop"......if that player was on another team,he's a bust already :rolleyes:

Everybody thought McCourty was going to be a stud and the best CB in the 2010 draft based on 1 season

Lets see how they compare in a year or two

That being said,there have been several nice looking rookies from round 1 thus far,including Jones.
With all due respect, I think the opposite is true. Most people around here, myself included, are very impatient with rookies. More often than not, the prevailing opinion is that early lack of success means you are likely to suck forever, or at least until you die.

Thanks, Tanny!

If that's true, then Tannenbaum is an idiot.

and Wrecks is a bigger idiot for saying it. Dumb and Dumber :rolleyes:

I bet if Coples and Jones were there at 21, BB might have gone for Coples, Coples was probably higher up on every NHL teams boards than Jones.

Is Coples a winger or a center iceman? :D

No way BB would have taken him if they were both there at 21. The book on Coples was he gave up on plays. Not a BB type of player. The Pats were in contact with Chandler from the very beginning.

Don't forget Gholston over Mayo. Mayo may not be a stud, but he a very good player and is far better than Gholston ever was and addresses the biggest weakness of the Jets' defense.

Um. Mayo is a stud.

If there was anyone Bill wanted as much or more in that draft it was probably Chris Long but that was never gonna happen.

Wow. Yes. Chris Long. He would have been destructive in this defense. I still get a little bit of a draft woodie at the idea that Long might have been within reach for us.

Um. Mayo is a stud.

Mayo is a great LB, but not a stud. To be a stud at the LB, you gotta be a playmaker. Mayo is solid in every area and in on a lot of plays, but he isn't a playmaker. I love Mayo, but I wouldn't classify him as a stud. He is a top 10 LB.

Jones has the makings of a stud.

Last edited:

Mayo is a great LB, but not a stud. To be a stud at the LB, you gotta be a playmaker. Mayo is solid in every area and in on a lot of plays, but he isn't a playmaker. I love Mayo, but I wouldn't classify him as a stud. He is a top 10 LB.

Jones has the makings of a stud.

Can't say for sure if he is a stud or not, but going into week 7, Mayo was tied with Chad Greenway for the league lead in tackles.

Why would he make a promise or commitment he didn't have the authority to keep?

This is the same guy who guaranteed a Super Bowl the same season his team finished 8-8 and didn't make the play-offs. He's quite used to making promises he can't keep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes