PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rex Ryan says that he kept McKnight Because His Ceiling is Higher Than Woodhead's

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, Ridley has been forced into the line-up because the Pats dont' have anything special in front of him, that's an indictment on BGJE.
BJGE has THOROUGHLY outplayed Greene ever since both started playing full time.

Wow. You'll make anything up to defense the Jests.
2009 5.0 ypc
2010 4.1
2011 3.1

How is that improving? The only time in his career he was above avg in ypc was his rookie year on 100 attempts mostly against terrible competition.
This guy is not a NFL caliber #1 RB.

Because he got 7 dump offs for 47 yards against the Raiders? Otherwise 3 in 3 games, and zero last week. Yeah, what a weapon:rolleyes:

One injured player is not 'injury issues'. We for example, have missed 2 starting OL for most of the season and havent missed a beat.

Another post with stats to discuss a topic about a player's ceiling.

LOL, SMH!

LOL, SMH!

So now because he cant play you bring in ceiling?
You said he IS GETTING BETTER. You didn't say he is getting worse but there is hope because of some mysterious ceiling.
You lose this argument, too.

With a young and emerging Shonne Greene, and a still very effective and future HOF in LT ahead of him, why is the fact McKnight is not in the rotation a surprise? Woodhead has BGJE ahead of him, who is nothing special, how can any Pat fan argue this.

Your ignorance is astounding.

Greene is "young and emerging" but Law Firm is "nothing special"??

When was the last time Shonne Greene had a 1,000 yard season? Oh wait, maybe he has a "higher ceiling". :D :D :D

Please, you're embarrassing yourself.

Last edited:
Greene improving? The guy is who he is. A decent back up who is living off the reputation of two playoff games in 2009. He is easily the third, probably the fourth best lead back in the division. Fred Jackson and BJGE are better than him. Donald Thomas is probably better. In fact, Stevan Ridley may be better than him too. Greene has 157 yards and 1 TD in four games in the season. That projects out to 628 yards and 4 TDs for the season.

And his lack of production cannot all be blamed on the Mangold injury since he only had 75 yards and 1 TD in the first two games with an average of 2.9 YPC. In fact, he had more yards (82) and a better yard per carry (3.28 YPC) in the last two games without Mangold.

Last edited:
I'm a joke? Put simply, yes. You've had more excuses for how poor McKnight has been then Casey Anthony did for why she didn't tell the police about her daughter..

LT has been effective, he's had a different role this year, he's already had a game where he has over 100 yds receiving, in his role, he's been excellent. If anything, I'd like to see him get more opportunities. I'm well aware of the Jets rushing stats. The running game is struggling, but mostly because of injuries on the OL, playing with a rookie at C over our Pro Bowl guard has been a huge detriment to the running game. The Pats defensive is dead last, and has been ripped apart by the likes of Buffalo, Miami, and the Raiders, are we all to assume the Pats D sucks that bad? We can make even greater insinuations there...

So he had 1 game where he had 100 yards receiving and you call that being effective? I don't call 13 receptions for 200 yards (5 for 116 in one game, 6 for 73 in another) him being more effective. Not when you look to see he's only had 20 runs for 59 yards.

First off, the Pats are not "dead last" in defense. They are "dead last" in terms of Yards allowed. They are 21st in terms of POINTS ALLOWED, which is the ONLY stat that truly matters on defense.

Your a fool to be ragging on the Bills and Raiders. The Bills are 3-1 and the Raiders ripped the Jets pretty damn well. In fact, that same Raider team got their arses handed to them by the Pats, allowing them only 19 points compared to the 34 they put on the Jets.

That's right, BJGE is nothing special, otherwise the Pats don't extend Woodhead, and go out and draft 2 more RB's. BJGE is a solid RB, nothing more, he's limited in the passing game, which is the Patriots staple on offense, nothing stands out about him, not incredibly fast, just a good solid RB, who provides good effort and a good day of work. Save the stats, the Pats aren't a running football team, they aren't a team that uses the running game to set up the pass, it's the complete opposite, using stats to justify your argument won't help because the success of the Pats running game is because of their passing game. It sure is easy to run the ball, when the defense has been softened, and are playing 7-8 players back to protect against the pass, and the Pats run a delayed handoff or a draw, sure those numbers will look real good. C'mon, are you seriously going to throw stats at me?

The Pats used the running game to set up the pass against the Raiders. Worked out very well for them. Were the Pats too pass happy in their 1st 3 games? Yep. But they changed that in game 4. You'd know that if you watched any of it.

Yes, I am going to throw stats at you when you are talking out your rear end.. Don't like it, then don't post.. Your choice.

Woodhead most certainly has NOT carried the load, not for any stretch. He's got a role, he does it well, and he too is successfull in running the ball for the same reasons I just mentioned regarding the Patriots scheme, they use the pass to set up the run..

This shows you don't know sh!t about the Pats. Baltimore, San Diego, Cleveland and Green Bay, Woodhead was used more by the Pats than BJGE.

Woodhead is a good receiver, which makes him a good fit, but that isn't the point of this thread, nor my comments, the argument and complains out of Pats fan nation is Rex said McKnight has a higher ceiling, he didn't say McKnight has performed better, has a better ypc, has better stats, why do Pats fans completely change the intent of the topic and the discussion and throw stats into their posts? It makes no sense. :rolleyes:

What makes no sense is a no-nothing JetsFan coming onto a Pats Website and thinking that he knows more about the Pats than the fans themselves. What makes no sense is that same Jets fan supporting the ridiculous claims of the Jets coach and ignoring reality. The reality that McKnight hasn't done jack to justify the claims that he's got a higher ceiling than Woodhead.

Having a higher ceiling means that McKnight will, over the course of his career, do more in the NFL than Woodhead. Sorry, but he's not shown anything to make anyone with half a brain cell or more truly believe that to be the case.

Last edited:
So now because he cant play you bring in ceiling?
You said he IS GETTING BETTER. You didn't say he is getting worse but there is hope because of some mysterious ceiling.
You lose this argument, too.

If that makes you feel better

I guess Pats fans just can't stand the suggestion that a player, especially a Jets player has a higher ceiling than a Pats player.

I guess BJGE is a future HOF, he ran for 1,000 yds, but the Pats went out and extended Woodhead and drafted two more RB's. :rolleyes:

Your ignorance is astounding.

When was the last time Shon Greene had a 1,000 yard season?

Please, you're embarrassing yourself.

A 1,000 yards?!? When has Greene had a 800 yard season? Last year he had 766 yards (a career high) and he is current on track to get 628 yards this season. I don't know about you guys, but I think the Jets have the next Emmitt Smith on their hands :rolleyes:

Last edited:
No, Ridley has been forced into the line-up because the Pats dont' have anything special in front of him, that's an indictment on BGJE.

........You mean the guy who just turned 26, had 1,000 yards rushing last year and is averaging over 1 yard per carry more than the "young and emerging" Shonn Greene the past 2 years????

You mean that guy?

Have any MORE moronic things to post today?

Last edited:
A 1,000 yards?!? When has Greene had a 800 yard season? Last year he had 766 yards (a career high) and he is current on track to get 628 yards this season. I don't know about you guys, but I think the Jets have the next Emmitt Smith on their hands :rolleyes:

Very high ceiling!!!!!!!

Too bad he needs a ladder to reach it!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

I'm a joke? Put simply, yes. You've had more excuses for how poor McKnight has been then Casey Anthony did for why she didn't tell the police about her daughter..

These aren't excuses, these are facts, but you're too naive to understand that.

So he had 1 game where he had 100 yards receiving and you call that being effective? I don't call 13 receptions for 200 yards (5 for 116 in one game, 6 for 73 in another) him being more effective. Not when you look to see he's only had 20 runs for 59 yards.

Again, it's about opportunities and maturation. Woodhead has been in the league for 4-5 years and found his niche with the Pats, solid role player, does some things well, STILL DOES NOT HAVE THE UPSIDE OF MCKNIGHT, WHICH IS THE DAMN TOPIC OF THIS DISCUSSION. It's mind boggling how you still don't get it. I'm not even saying McKnight has done better than Woodhead up until this point, but that is exactly what you're arguing about.

First off, the Pats are not "dead last" in defense. They are "dead last" in terms of Yards allowed. They are 21st in terms of POINTS ALLOWED, which is the ONLY stat that truly matters on defense.
They are dead last, period. What ever you want to spin to make yourself feel better, and I guess in this case, the more important stat is "points allowed." I went to NFL.com, looked up team defensive stats, the Pats were at the bottom.

Your a fool to be ragging on the Bills and Raiders. The Bills are 3-1 and the Raiders ripped the Jets pretty damn well. In fact, that same Raider team got their arses handed to them by the Pats, allowing them only 19 points compared to the 34 they put on the Jets.

Oh goody, another personal insult. :rolleyes:

The Bills will come down to earth, the Raiders are improved, but still have flaws that will iron itself out as the season progresses. That is my opinion, and I'm sticking with it, sorry. The Raiders also didn't rip the Jets, they won with one big run, and some trickery, and it was a horribly officiated game.

The Pats used the running game to set up the pass against the Raiders. Worked out very well for them. Were the Pats too pass happy in their 1st 3 games? Yep. But they changed that in game 4. You'd know that if you watched any of it.

Yes, I am going to throw stats at you when you are talking out your rear end.. Don't like it, then don't post.. Your choice.

Umm, no, not just the Raiders game, EVERY game, that IS the Patriot offense, Brady and the passing game. They are not an offense that runs the ball, they do it just because they need to from time to time to help offset the time of possession battle, this has been the case for the last several years if not more.

This shows you don't know sh!t about the Pats. Baltimore, San Diego, Cleveland and Green Bay, Woodhead was used more by the Pats than BJGE.

Well, I certainly don't claim to know more than you about the Pats, but to suggest Woodhead has carried the load, and then in the same sentence justify BJGE as a 1,000 yd RB, that certainly doesn't make much sense, now does it?

What makes no sense is a no-nothing JetsFan coming onto a Pats Website and thinking that he knows more about the Pats than the fans themselves. What makes no sense is that same Jets fan supporting the ridiculous claims of the Jets coach and ignoring reality. The reality that McKnight hasn't done jack to justify the claims that he's got a higher ceiling than Woodhead.

I cam to the Pats site, because the Jets are playing your Pats. The proper term is "know-nothing" not "no-nothing," and again, I never claimed I knew more than anybody, but if you're going to post BS, I'm going to call on it.

And again, as for the topic of this thread and my contribution. The REALITY is Rex thinks McKnight has a higher ceiling, and I've presented some of what I feel might be why he thinks this. Since then, all I've received is a bunch of insults and Pats fans crying and throwing stats at me, ALL OF WHICH provide NOTHING in support of the topic.

Having a higher ceiling means that McKnight will, over the course of his career, do more in the NFL than Woodhead. Sorry, but he's not shown anything to make anyone with half a brain cell or more truly believe that to be the case.

Last edited:

LOL, SMH!

You're a tool.

I get your position - - performance means nothing.

This "high ceiling" on which you rely, is it Tinker Bell's room?

I guess Pats fans just can't stand the suggestion that a player, especially a Jets player has a higher ceiling than a Pats player.

I guess BJGE is a future HOF, he ran for 1,000 yds, but the Pats went out and extended Woodhead and drafted two more RB's. :rolleyes:

It's one thing to talk smack. It's another thing to talk like an idiot. Learn the difference, because you look like a fool right now.

1.) The BJGE/Woodhead combo was in place when BJGE got his 1000 yards, so Woodhead getting extended is obviously not an indictment of BJGE.

2.) Fred Taylor was not getting brought back, and Sammy Morris was getting old, thus opening up two possible RB spots for the Patriots. Not shockingly, the Patriots brought in 2 running backs.

I'm not a BJGE fanboy, by any stretch of the imagination, but your arguments suck.

Again, it's about opportunities and maturation. Woodhead has been in the league for 4-5 years and found his niche with the Pats, solid role player, does some things well, STILL DOES NOT HAVE THE UPSIDE OF MCKNIGHT, WHICH IS THE DAMN TOPIC OF THIS DISCUSSION. It's mind boggling how you still don't get it. I'm not even saying McKnight has done better than Woodhead up until this point, but that is exactly what you're arguing about.

Hey genius, I have yet to play a down in the NFL yet.

My ceiling is waaaaaayyyyy higher than McKnight's!!!!! :D :D :D

Last edited:

We aren't talking about ceilng, that is a rhetorical response for 'I know he suks but won;t admit it"

BJGE has played better in the NFL than Shonn Greene. FACT

That is my opinion, and I'm sticking with it, sorry. The Raiders also didn't rip the Jets, they won with one big run, and some trickery, and it was a horribly officiated game.

One big run?????.....Wow, a 234 yard run!!!!!!

I have to see THAT on video!!!!!!!!

They are dead last, period. What ever you want to spin to make yourself feel better, and I guess in this case, the more important stat is "points allowed." I went to NFL.com, looked up team defensive stats, the Pats were at the bottom.
They're at the bottom because NFL.com sorts by . . . wait for it . . . yards per game.

Here's a quick quiz for you. Which defense would you rather take:

(a) 372.8 YPG, 31.5 PPG
(b) 477.5 YPG, 24.5 PPG

I'd much rather have teams drive 70 yards and settle for a FG, than go 50 or 60 for a TD.

They're at the bottom because NFL.com sorts by . . . wait for it . . . yards per game.

Here's a quick quiz for you. Which defense would you rather take:

(a) 372.8 YPG, 31.5 PPG
(b) 477.5 YPG, 24.5 PPG

I'd much rather have teams drive 70 yards and settle for a FG, than go 50 or 60 for a TD.

Don't waste your time.

This guy is measuring ceilings.

He doesn't care about what happens on the football field.

Don't waste your time.

How can you not measure ceiling?!? I mean every year all the "experts" predict a 1300 yard season from Shonn Greene so his ceiling is much higher than BJGE who people usually predict getting less than 1,000 yards. I would rather have a guy with an incredibly high ceiling that is never reached than a guy with a lower ceiling that is shattered. McKnight may never be the player Woodhead is, but he has the potential to be better which is all that matters.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Don't waste your time.

I can make it easy.
1) If you are a Jet and never play, you have a great ceiling and someday will be great, even if you cant beat out the slug ahead of you.
2) If yuo have been on the Jets schedule you are a great team
3) If you are a Jet who consistently plays worse, then you are improving
4) If the Jets have 1 injury then every problem on the team can be blamed on that, and all the players who play poorly are good but only play poorly because 1 guy is injured
5) If I can name the guys on the roster I can prove the team has good depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back