PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rex Ryan says that he kept McKnight Because His Ceiling is Higher Than Woodhead's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dean Wormer may as well have been talking to Rex instead of Flounder.
And while I don't know about drunk, Rex sure is fat and stupid.

Lol. Jets fans actually said that we were stuck drafting Aaron?

No....that's my sarcasm.They were gloating that they beat the Pats to the punch by drafting "the next Reggie Bush",one spot in front of the Pats.

Who cares about McKnight. Woodhead is the perfect Patriot. He, Welker, Branch, Gronk, Solder, etc. If BB wants him to run into a brick wall, he would. Look at the Jets players. LT, Cromartie, Holmes. Are those who you want your kids to model after?

I really don't have a problem with Ryan's comment. If anything, it will motivate Woodhead and benefit the Patriots.

The fact of the matter is that for a third down back, the Patriots' system is most conducive in the NFL to productivity. Woodhead has done really well but Faulk did just as well before he got hurt. If McKnight was here, he'd be a stud on those draws and screens with those safeties chasing Wes around like mad.

I like Woodhead because he is never going to demand a big salary, doesn't fumble, and has value on special teams. I think he blocking for Brady needs to improve however.

Last edited:
What would you have said if you were the head coach of the Jets?

"Yeah, really wish we'd kept Woodhead. Turns out that kid can play. Too bad we kept this bum McKnight. Man he's terrible."

It's not like if Rex actually regrets the decision he could say that to the media. Imagine what that would do for McKnight.

Exactly. Mcknight over Woodhead was a terrible personnel decision for the Jets. But they have to live with it. And they certainly cant admit that they regret it or thats a vote of no-confidence against McKnight who is still struggling to find snaps on that team.

All I can say is thank you for the free RB Jets! This doesn't really make up for the Jets stealing CUMAR. But it helps balance the ledger little.

What would you have said if you were the head coach of the Jets?

I would probably start with......

"I gotta say ya may not have seen it yet but that kid Gholston is somethin' special, his ceiling is really high....."

And then i'd say.....

"I gotta say ya may not know it but that Maybin kid is a dime in the rough, his ceiling is sky high........."

After that i'd say........

"i don't care what anyone else thinks that haiti kid, ya know the big one, Vladcase or something, he doesn't even have a ceiling that's how high his ceiling is....."

then I would talk about McKnight

Honestly..who gives a **** about McKnight...he has what..20 yards this year?

Woodhead gets no respect because he's small and he's white.

There. I said it.

Woodhead gets no respect because he's small and he's white.

There. I said it.
BS. So is Wes Welker. There, I said it.

Last edited:
Welker got bounced from SD and traded from MIA for a bag of balls despite his skills. You call that respect? Nobody can deny productivity, but guys like him don't usually even get the opportunity.

"This guy" = McKnight, actually.

That said:

McKnight: 6 carries, 14 yards, 2.3 YPC
Woodhead: 26 carries, 115 yards, 4.4 YPC; 6 receptions, 41 yards

Yeah, that's invisible. :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's rich, the problem is, McKnight is not in the rotation right now at RB with Greene and LT ahead of him. Woodhead was rotating in as a starter with BGJE

Not sure what you are trying to achieve with that post, just a bunch of fail to me.

Rex is right, McKnight does have a much bigger ceiling, not sure why any Pat fan would have a problem with this... Posting the stats doesn't prove anything when one is a regular in the rotation, and the other isn't.

Yeah, that's rich, the problem is, McKnight is not in the rotation right now at RB with Greene and LT ahead of him. Woodhead was rotating in as a starter with BGJE

Not sure what you are trying to achieve with that post, just a bunch of fail to me.

Rex is right, McKnight does have a much bigger ceiling, not sure why any Pat fan would have a problem with this... Posting the stats doesn't prove anything when one is a regular in the rotation, and the other isn't.

Probably because "ceiling" is usually misleading, if not complete garbage, once players have had time to be judged on the NFL playing field. Generally speaking, "ceiling" refers to unfulfilled potential that the beholder thinks he/she sees, and is almost always based upon the measurables that so many failed prospects have had. Arguing "ceiling", JaMarcus Russell should still be in the NFL, because his "ceiling" is higher than Tom Brady's.

Last edited:
Glad the Jets gave up on Danny!!

What was the original title?

"Ryan Kept McKnight Because Danny's Ceiling is Higher".

The kind of stuff that just makes us mods work harder doing cleanup.

Tell me, in your everyday life do you sling weak baloney like that as thoughtlessly as much as you do here?

Patriots have a returning 1,000 yard rusher and Law Firm/Ridley have 5.1 YPC.

The Jets can't run through a paper bag this year (Greene and LT averaging 3.0 YPC).

......and somehow Woodhead can break into the Pats deep and effective rotation but "Mr. High Ceiling" can't even make the JV Team????????? The team that has Freaking Deer-in-the-Headlights SanGrenade at QB which should be BEGGING to run the ball more?????????

Tell me again your excuse for why Woodhead has 4+ times the carries, twice the YPC and 6 catches to ZERO for McKnight?

But remember, you're on PATSFANS.COM - - so you're going to have to come up with quality, fact-based answers. Not the bush league, watery swill you tried to pass off above.

Last edited:
Probably because "ceiling" is usually misleading, if not complete garbage, once players have had time to be judged on the NFL playing field. Generally speaking, "ceiling" refers to unfulfilled potential that the beholder thinks he/she sees, and is almost always based upon the measurables that so many failed prospects have had. Arguing "ceiling", JaMarcus Russell should still be in the NFL, because his "ceiling" is higher than Tom Brady's.

Spot on with excellent usage of the JaMarcus Russell-Tom Brady analogy :). Woodhead gave tangible results superior to McKnight (from what I understand the results weren't even that close). Any head coach or GM who selects players based on 'the tangible results don't matter because McKnight may be great one day' is either A) living in a fool's paradise or B) their needs at that position were so minimal they could afford to ignore the tangible results and roll the dice with McKnight. However, the Jets wouldn't be the first organization to keep players based on the 'we have to keep him because we used a draft pick on him' thought process.

If Woodhead would have went to the 49ers or Tampa Bay, this wouldn't sting very much. However, with the Patriots picking up Woodhead and him being a very solid contributor, this really was a stinging smack to the back of the head of the Jets. I actually am a bit surprised Rex would select a player based on this "one day he could be real good' nonsense. Whatever his shortcomings, I thought he was a results based/bottom line kind of coach.

Tbh you can't really cut a 4th round pick that early.

That line of thinking causes general managers and coaches to multiply one mistake, on draft day, with a second one on cutdown day.

The draft gets you to training camp. After that you should have to EARN everything

That is the best he could come up with more than a year later? What a doosh.

With Ridley blossoming and Vereen waiting in the wings, I wouldn't be shocked to see Danny wash out. Would BB keep him around solely for special teams?

As for Rexy's comment(s), we'll see the Jets on Sunday. :cool:

Kevin Faulk says HI.

Vereen hasn't done squat yet. He's got a LOT to prove before he pushes Woodhead out the door..
Ridley does seem to be blossoming and he makes and excellent compliment to BJGE and Woodhead.
Woodhead has proven he can pick up the blitz, run and catch out of the backfield. Everything you look for in a 3rd down back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes