PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rex Ryan says Jets would not target Peyton Manning, if available

Status
Not open for further replies.
good for us........

"do I even think it's a consideration for us? "No. I don't think it is."

Sure, not right now. This off-season is a different story. Of course they would be interested! C'mon now. Problem is, I bet Miami woudl be interested too.

Last edited:
True, but wouldn't you have to cut some significant players just to make enough room for horseface?

I don't have their cap numbers for 2012, but they can play with the space because of the new CBA.

there is no way a Jets/Manning marriage could happen, and most of them have NOTHING to do with the man/boy love affair Rex seems to have with his current QB. Here are just a few.

1. The Jets can't even come close to paying Manning his current salary from where they are with the cap. They have a lot of increases to their cap next year, due to all the manipulations Tanny made to get them under THIS year.

2. If Manning IS released, then he will have HIS choice of where he goes. Do your really thinks that after years of working with team oriented guys like Wayne, Clark, etc, he'd jump at the chance to work with scum like Holmes and Burress....and no one else.

3. The Jets have a OL that is crumbling before our eyes. Do you really think Peyton and his neck want to deal with a rebuilding OL?

4. Peyton played the bulk of his career with a father figure (Dungy), for a HC. He WAS in a situation lately where the HC answered to HIM not the other way around. Do you really think Peyton will want to join the soap opera, drama queens in NJ?

5. Manning has played his entire career in the safety of a dome. He isn't going to want to end his career playing in the wind, cold, and snow in NJ...at least not by choice

6. Any team taking on Peyton will have to know they are also taking him on as the defacto OC. At this stage of the game, Peyton isn't going to learn someone ELSE's offense.

I mentioned in another post that given his age, injury situation, missing a year and massive cap hit, I doubt very much that ANY team would give more than a 3rd or 4th for Manning at this point.

No guys, Pats fans can rest easy that, at least for the next 2 years, (and likely final sad 2 years of the Rex Ryan era in NJ) the Pats will only have to deal with Sanchize.

Last edited:
Manning a Jet? It will never happen. That's why Rex is saying that. I'm sorry but even if the Colts draft Luck, they are not going to let Manning go. No freaking way in hell. Not after this year. ESPN is just talking non-sense. They will sit or trade Luck until Manning can no longer move. When and if Manning can suit back up it will be in a Colts uniform and that stadium is going to overflow.

You would think by now after Brady, Rodgers, Brees, etc vs the many #1 pick busts or under achievers, that there shouldn't even be debate whether you should ever put your hopes on a #1 pick when you have a sure thing that's still kicking. The Steelers are willing to play Ben in a freaking cast for Christ's sake before they finally put in the back-up. The Cowboys will play Romo with two broken arms and stuck like a pig if they have to. It's dumb, cause they probably can't play as good as the back-ups, and leads to interceptions, but that's how much their leadership on the field matters to them.

If Manning can play, he'll be back as a Colt. Heck I used to hate Manning and even I miss him. The Colts need him. The AFC needs him. Even the Pats and Brady need him. You can't be a hero if you got no villain. We all need the dork back and his bad commercials for at least a couple more years and he won't even look right in anything other than a Colts uniform. Maybe a Texan and even that's a stretch. I honestly really feel bad for him not being a part of this race this year.

You know people should really enjoy this era of QB's because with the trend of going towards dual rush/pass QB's who knows when we're going to get these type of pin-point accurate pocket passers. I have a feeling it's going to take teams awhile, a lot of wasted money, and a lot of wasted seasons to figure out dual rush/pass QB's will just never be as accurate as pure pocket passers. They're going to test it, but physics will tell you it's pretty much impossible to pass on the run as accurately as using timing, proper footwork, and good protection. The NFL's embarking on a merry-go round. So enjoy them while you got them.

Not to mention it's going to be even harder for guys like Brady and Brees to get a chance coming in looking like scrawny kids that would break in half if you hit them. And as many should have noticed, those types of builds just might be the key to elite passers: brains, accuracy, guts, character + the fear of getting your head ripped off. QB prospects now are more concerned with bench pressing, bulking up and running a 4.0 rather than throwing that ball like a kung-fu master.

Last edited:
2. If Manning IS released, then he will have HIS choice of where he goes. Do your really thinks that after years of working with team oriented guys like Wayne, Clark, etc, he'd jump at the chance to work with scum like Holmes and Burress....and no one else.

Depends on when it happens. If it happens before the start of the league year, he has to go through waivers.

I don't have their cap numbers for 2012, but they can play with the space because of the new CBA.
I;m not sure that's true DI. I''ve read posts from Jet fans who seem to have a good handle on he Jets cap situation.

Good news: Right now they are around 9 MM under the cap. According to the new CBA, they can carry that over into the next year, which, according to them, would give them about $18MM in cap space to work with

Bad News: because of all the back end contracts and restructures Tanny did with guys like Holmes, Sanchez, Cromartie, Pace, D'brick, and Scott, etc; The Jets will have about 20MM in increased cap costs next season, effectively wiping out their cap room....as it stands now. Again this according to them.

Depends on when it happens. If it happens before the start of the league year, he has to go through waivers.

If that were to ever happen, I foresee another league rules change announced the evening prior to his release;)

When was the last time the Mannings played by the rules? Heck when was the first? We all know they're special.

I;m not sure that's true DI. I''ve read posts from Jet fans who seem to have a good handle on he Jets cap situation.

Good news: Right now they are around 9 MM under the cap. According to the new CBA, they can carry that over into the next year, which, according to them, would give them about $18MM in cap space to work with

Bad News: because of all the back end contracts and restructures Tanny did with guys like Holmes, Sanchez, Cromartie, Pace, D'brick, and Scott, etc; The Jets will have about 20MM in increased cap costs next season, effectively wiping out their cap room....as it stands now. Again this according to them.

Don't forget that the CBA allows for some flexing with the cap in 2011 and 2012. Also, if the Jets moved Sanchez as part of the move, that would knock more than $9 million off the cap (I found the cap site).

New York Jets Salary Cap

Yah, not to go all Felger on this but I don't think that cap considerations would nix Manning to the Jets. Ken's other reasons are more likely. But we really don't know how Peyton thinks about these, it's just well reasoned informed speculation.

And then there's that nagging unresolved minor issue about the health of his neck bolts...

Last edited:
What if Indy beats Jax on Sunday? Won't Jax do everything in their power to prevent Indy from getting another 15 franchise QB?

Rams would then get the #1 as I don't think they'll beat the Niners this week.

Last edited:
There couldn't possibly be a worse pairing of QB/coach personailties than Manning and Ryan. A little part of me wants to see it.

Ryan also said this Jets team was the best team he coached and that they were going to win the Super Bowl.

I guarantee you that given the opportunity to get Manning assuming they feel he is going to recover and don't have to give up too much, they will probably jump.

That said, I don't know if the Colts are getting Andrew Luck. The Rams will most likely lose this weekend and the Colts might not be able to lose to the Jags even if they try. Will the Colts draft a lesser QB at #2?

I would love to see the Jags take it upon themselves to expose the Colts for the cheaters they've been all season and try to lose this week's game. Both teams would play horribly and find ways to throw the game and then, get the Colts in trouble for tanking the season and Jags deny their division rival Andrew Luck!

Rex Ryan says something stupid = hold the presses.

This is not a decision that Fat Rex would make. It would be made by Tanny, unless he's fired.
But, if Tanny was willing to go out and sign a washed up Farve, I'm pretty sure he'd be willing to "go out on a limb" and try to get Manning. If he could figure out how to do it without it costing him his job!
I will be the first to admit that the Jest front office knows a whole lot more about player evaluations than I do but even I can see that Sanchez has not grown much and that his ceiling is fairly close to where his skill set is now. can he get better? Yes? Will he? Maybe? But, he might not!
The question is how long will the Jest front office stick with Sanchez? At what point to they admit their mistake and cut their losses? They have no track record of success so it will be a lot harder for them to do this than our front office or that of another successful team. Plus there's the New York media that is just waiting to roast someone whenever they can, for making a mistake, whatever that mistake that is. It would be a huge embarrassment to the Jest front office to have to bite the bullet and actually move on from Sanchez. And they will be carved up in the press as soon as they do so.
They only way this happens is if Tanny and Fat Rex get gassed at the same time and that aint gonna happen for at least another year or two.
Manning to New York only happens if there is a major house cleaning in the Jest front office.

LOL. Rexy also said the Jets were the better NY team and that they would kick the Giants' collective butts. I guess after they pick up Manning he can go on the airwaves again and say, "I was wrong."

No, he doesn't. There are no waivers from February 1 until the trading deadline in October for players with more than 4 years of service (they are waived/cut or released and cannot be claimed) and Manning isn't under contract for 2012 UNLESS his option is picked up, so he can't be waived or traded - just extended via $28M option which lands on the Colts cap rendering him untradeable for at least 2 if not 3 seasons ($38M dead cap that decreases by roughly $9.5M per season) or cut at which time he immediately becomes an UFA free to sign before the new league year even commences.

Manning isn't coming to the AFCE under any circumstances... Bad enough to play outdoors let alone in a cold weather division facing Brady and Belichick twice a season...

No, he doesn't. There are no waivers from February 1 until the trading deadline in October for players with more than 4 years of service (they are waived/cut or released and cannot be claimed) and Manning isn't under contract for 2012 UNLESS his option is picked up, so he can't be waived or traded - just extended via $28M option which lands on the Colts cap rendering him untradeable for at least 2 if not 3 seasons ($38M dead cap that decreases by roughly $9.5M per season) or cut at which time he immediately becomes an UFA free to sign before the new league year even commences.

Manning isn't coming to the AFCE under any circumstances... Bad enough to play outdoors let alone in a cold weather division facing Brady and Belichick twice a season...

You're right; I either forgot or never knew that the waiver period ends on 1/31 for vet free agents.

Last edited:
Don't forget that the CBA allows for some flexing with the cap in 2011 and 2012. Also, if the Jets moved Sanchez as part of the move, that would knock more than $9 million off the cap (I found the cap site).

New York Jets Salary Cap

It would knock $9M in salary off the cap but $5M in dead cap amortization would remain at the position meaning the position would still be taking up more than $23M for just Manning and McElroy and dead cap. The cap is believed to be fairly flat for the next two years, it may go up incrementally but so will salaries. That $118M cap figure is for 51 signed players, including lots of minimum salary third stringers. They have 11 UFA (including 2 safeties a tall WR and their PK) and 4 RFA heading into 2012. Those guys have to be retained or replaced and in many cases their position and others upgraded. There isn't a lot of dead wood that can be cut at cap savings (see the parens) not to mention if it were it too would have to be replaced. And the flexibility is down to $1.5M in borrowed advances divided between 3 veteran players for 2012-2013.

But it's really a moot point. It's like the BB to the Giants talk, something the NY/NJ media likes to engage in based on the delusional belief that everyone must want to be part of the Big Apple circus. If Manning can play it's going to be in Indy because Irsay can't afford to make a costly PR and strategic mistake like letting him win somewhere else while Indy goes back to square one with a rookie. And if they do make that mistake he will be looking both to make them regret it and to set himself up to be at least a 12 game division winner and contender again, and that isn't happening for him in the AFCE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back