PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rex Ryan ~ Respect for a Worthy Adversary

Aren't we getting Off Topic, though?

Can't we get back to the most important Aspect of this Thread?? Praising me?? :D

These...are the Great Words that were written, 4 Years ago, when it seemed that Rex Ryan actually had Mad Bill's number, and some Clowns were actually calling the Jets "The Team To Beat" :eek: >>>

"I believe, despite his recent great success, particularly against us, that ~ provided Sanchez* remains his QB ~ it will be years before he beats Coach Bill again."

*or someone even worse!! :D

Link: The Thread where I posted that Shockingly Magnificent Prediction!!

01 ~ Coach Ryan's Record against Mad Bill before my Prediction: 3-2.
02 ~ Coach Ryan's Record against Mad Bill after my Prediction: 1-7!! :eek:

Let us take a moment to appreciate and rejoice in...The Timeless Wisdom of Off The Grid!!
jester.gif

*Edited for the sake of Accuracy and to perpetrate the Illusion that I didn't have my head up my @$$!! :D

Last edited:
I think what people seem to be missing are the intangibles, he is an emotional coach that players love to play for. That says something. Like I have said many times, emotion IS a big part of football and you can bet the Ravens are gonna be bringing that emotion Saturday night.

I agree you have to be fundamentally and situationally sound but you also need to be a motivator and leader of men and this is a characteristic Rex has.

I mean obviously give me BB every day of the week over, well really any coach in the NFL, but Rex ain't so bad...

"It will be Years before he beats Coach Bill, again!!"

GOD, I wish I'd said that...

Oh.

Wait
a moment...

I did!! :D

You've said he's a bad DC never mind a bad coach. I've said he's a very good DC and an average coach. I think he's a Sean Payton, who's very overrated in mind, in that he needs a coordinator on the other side to run things for him. He'll never fix an offense. He'll never be a team builder.
I did not say he is a bad DC, I said he is not a good one (there is a big difference). I have cited performance on the field. If there is something you think I missed, please show me where he has consistently coached good defense. I assume we would agree that to be a good DC you would consistently have good defenses right? He has not.
You keep bringing up Sean Payton as an example and I do not know why.
As a HC Payton is 80-48 and has won a SB. He took over a worse team than Ryan took over before going 46-50.
As a 'one side of the ball savant' Paytons offense in NO as ranked first in scoring twice, second another time and never worse than 12th. Ryans defense in NY has been 20,20,19,24 the last 4 years after 1 and 6 the first 2. Payton has had very good offenses the entire time he has been in NO. Ryan has had below average defenses the majority of his time in NY.

Here's a list of coaches from last season. The top section clearly better than Rex. The second section is probably better but the all overrated team IMO with O'Brien thrown in there because I think he'll be good once he gets his QB situation worked out. I also put Ariens in there because he looks to be rising given Arizona and Indy. The bottom list I would take Rex over. You can debate a few of the names in all the levels but I think it mostly stands. If we did DCs which you feel he's even awful at that I'd put him in that elite level.

Belichick, Kelly, Harbaugh, Harbaugh, McCarthy, Coughlin, Carol,

Mike Smith, Lovie Smith, Caldwell, Marrone, Rivera, Lewis, Pettine, Garrett, Bradley, Philbin, Pagano, Weisenhunt, Zimmer, Gruden. McCoy, Sparano
Are we talking about the same guy? You have him similar to long term successes like Tomlin, Payton and Reid when he hasn't won anything.
You have him above guys who have totally outperformed him such as both Smiths,Pagano and even Lewis. Throwing OBrien in that group on a hunch kind of illustrates that your rankings are all over the place.
I think the issue here is that somehow you think Ryan has been successful. He has not. He failed in NY.
I'll give you my comparison to each coach, but remember a new coach who hasn't proven himself should get the benefit of the doubt over Ryan, who failed.

Belichick, Kelly, Harbaugh, Harbaugh, McCarthy, Coughlin, Caroll,
I'll just leave this group together and say not even close, although Kelly only because Ryan has failed, since Kelly has not really proven himself yet, but has started out decent.

Tomlin Not even close. 82-46, never had a losing season. Playoffs 5 of 8 years, and a RING
Payton Not even close. 80-48 Playoffs 5 of 8 years, 5 double digit win seasons and a RING
Fox Not even close 119-89 Playoffs 6 of 13 seasons. 2 SBs
O'Brien NOT YET PROVEN. Cannot compare yet
Reid Come on, you are kidding right? Andy Reid has coached TEN teams to the playoffs. Has won 150 games. Is 150-105. If andy Reid loses his next 57 straight games, he will have a better winning % than Rex Ryan. That is equal?
Fisher Again not even close. Fisher has won 162 games.
Ariens Early to judge but so far is way, way better.

Mike Smith Smith 66-46 Ryan 46-50 Smith 4 playoff teams in 7, Ryan 2 in 6. Smith better.
Lovie Smith Very similar coaches, but Smith has a better record, and got to a SB. Slight edge Smith
Caldwell Not even close. Caldwell has been a HC 4 years, and made the playoffs 3 of them. Would need to go 9-23 the next 2 years to match Rex Ryans 6 year record
Marrone Too early to judge
Rivera Close. Good comparison, could go either way
Lewis Not close. Lewis much better coach (and was a much better DC too by the way)
Pettine Too early to judge
Garrett Close. Much better record at 41-31. Better because his team has improved not declined by his leadership.
Bradley Too early to judge
Philbin Maybe too early, similar records overall but Philbin 23-25 to Ryan 18-30 the last 3. Philbin seems to be moving his team in the right direction while Rex was moving it in the wrong. Toss up
Pagano Not close. Pagano has done a great job in Indy, and was also a better DC 33-15 to 46-50. Again if Pagano goes 14-34 the next 3 years he has a better record than Rex and already has made the playoffs 3 times in 3 years while Rex made it 2 in 6 years.
Weisenhunt Very similar coaches. Have to give Whisenhunt the nod for getting to a SB when everything else is pretty equal.
Zimmer, Gruden. McCoy Too soon to judge.
Sparano This is actually the only no brainer in Rex's favor.

After reviewing your list, I think you need to go back and look at Rex Ryans tenure as HC of NYJ.
He has a losing record. He made the playoffs 2 times in 6 years, and none in the last 4.
He has had severe dysfunction in his lockerroom. Players have often quit on him, while others have taken his approach that saying how good you are is as good as actually winning (note this year his players were crowing about being the best 5-11 team in the league as if that is something to be proud of).
You call him an elite DC but he has been in the bottom 3rd of defenses 4 straight years, and he has had A LOT of talent on defense, including most of his high draft picks.
To compare him equally to Andy Reid, Sean Payton, or Mike Tomlin or call him better than Chuck Pagano or Jim Caldwell says either you aren't paying attention, or your rating is based upon how good Rex says he is, and ignores what has happened on the actual football field.

I've asked a few times what evidence you have of him coaching good defense, and you haven't answered that. I just gave a very detailed answer to your questions, so perhaps you can answer mine about where you can point to consistent very good defense being coached by him.

I think what people seem to be missing are the intangibles, he is an emotional coach that players love to play for. That says something. Like I have said many times, emotion IS a big part of football and you can bet the Ravens are gonna be bringing that emotion Saturday night.

I agree you have to be fundamentally and situationally sound but you also need to be a motivator and leader of men and this is a characteristic Rex has.

I mean obviously give me BB every day of the week over, well really any coach in the NFL, but Rex ain't so bad...
The intangibles are not favorable to Rex.
Players have quit on him. They paid Santonio Holmes 50 mill and he quit and Ryan didn't even know it when asked after the game.
Vick admitted he didn't prepare to play.
He constantly predicts great things for his team, then has his players voice the same thing, then fail.
He has players going around bragging about close losses and being the best 5-11 team in the league.
He is a TERRIBLE leader and motivator, all he does is brag and not back it up. There have been problems with discipline (including his own) players, coaches, fans, and ownership. Everything he touched eventually turned to crap.
Maybe I'm missing something, but what are you thinking of that you consider good leadership?

"It will be Years before he beats Coach Bill, again!!" GOD, I wish I'd said that...Oh. Wait a moment...I did!! :D

Yes, you are of great wisdom and remarkable prescience. The vast majority of us are unworthy of your tutelage and forever grateful. Thank you for enriching our lives, Master.

How's that? :D

Aren't we getting Off Topic, though?

Can't we get back to the most important Aspect of this Thread?? Praising me?? :D

These...are the Great Words that were written, 4 Years ago, when it seemed that Rex Ryan actually had Mad Bill's number, and some Clowns were actually calling the Jets "The Team To Beat" :eek: >>>

"I believe, despite his recent great success, particularly against us, that ~ provided Sanchez* remains his QB ~ it will be years before he beats Coach Bill again."

*or someone even worse!! :D

Link: The Thread where I posted that Shockingly Magnificent Prediction!!

01 ~ Coach Ryan's Record against Mad Bill before my Prediction: 3-2.
02 ~ Coach Ryan's Record against Mad Bill after my Prediction: 0-8!! :eek:

Let us take a moment to appreciate and rejoice in...The Timeless Wisdom of Off The Grid!!
jester.gif

02 ~ Coach Ryan's Record against Mad Bill after my Prediction: 1-7!! :eek:

Losing record. Three starting QBs regressing under his regime. Inept offenses. Defense falling off of a cliff after Year 2. Horrid in-game management. Admitting to not having control of the locker room. Once didn't even realize that they were still alive for the playoffs.

But it's all good because he's emotional and players like to play for him.

Re: this thread:

58b60830d26ef5b1f63fd4edb732fe5c220cba41465f207836d5bf861c5ece40.jpg

Didn't NY beat the Patriots just last year? :)

~ Coach Ryan's Record against Mad Bill after my Prediction: 1-7!! :eek:

Wow ~ I'd actually forgotten that. What an @$$Hole!!
jester.gif

Still...1-7 after 3-2!!
eusa_dance.gif
And it was, literally, Years!! :D

Ah, The Timeless Wisdom of Fanatical Yankee, Prognosticator of Prognosticators!!
th_coffee.gif

Last edited:
That is an excuse.
By that yardstick no coach was ever bad the players just sucked.

Shouldn't he have to have some kind of sustained success even if it were only on defense to be considered good?
He never had.

Can I argue Mark trestman proved to everyone he was a great coach because he failed but it was with bad players?

When did Trestman twice have the Bears, QBed by the buttfumble, in the AFCC?

Sustained success? When his players, like Revis and even DRC keep moving on because his GMs are incompetent? When he had players AFCC. When he lost players the Jets sucked but were better than they should be. Tell me which Jet players from last years 8-8 squad start here. Yes, some starter become quality depth.

The discussion was about his failure since. The argument was being made that he can't be held accountable for losing 29 games in the last 3 years because he didn't have good players. It's an analogy.

Sustained success? When his players, like Revis and even DRC keep moving on because his GMs are incompetent?
Assuming you meant Antonio Cromartie, who was there for 5 of the 6 years. So losing Cromartie a year ago is why he has had bad defenses for 4 straight years?
Pace, Wilkerson, Davis, Harris, Revis, Cromartie, Richardson, Harrison, Coples....
He has had talent on defense all along.

When he had players AFCC. When he lost players the Jets sucked but were better than they should be. Tell me which Jet players from last years 8-8 squad start here. Yes, some starter become quality depth.
Ferguson, Mangold, Ivory, Decker, Colon, Cumberland/Amaro, Wilkerson, Pryor. Pace, Harris, Davis would all compete for playing time.

Lets look at his 'career'.
Year 1 he would have been 8-8 if the Colts didn't lie down. Playoff berth was a gift.
Year 2 was a very good year.
Year 3 regressed to 8-8 and had all kinds of internal lockerroom issues.
Year 4 regressed to 6-10 with more lockerroom problems.
Year 5 8-8 after winning 3 of last 4 once they were eliminated by losing 3 straight to nonplayoff teams.
Year 6 4-12 and full of dysfunction.

There was a lot of talent on those teams.

However, the point here is if you are going to tell me that he is a great defensive coach, where is the success? Show me sustained success just on the defensive side of the ball. He has never had it. He coaches a gimmick defense that allows loads of points and does not take the ball away, and people buy it because of yardage rankings. He does not win.

Sustained success? When his players, like Revis and even DRC keep moving on because his GMs are incompetent? When he had players AFCC. When he lost players the Jets sucked but were better than they should be. Tell me which Jet players from last years 8-8 squad start here. Yes, some starter become quality depth.

People need to stop referencing last year as if Ryan had them in the thick of the hunt. That team was 5-7 and out of the hunt when they beat Oakland, Cleveland, and Miami to finish at 8-8. Seven of those losses were by ten or more points, four of them by 20 or more, and one of them by 40.

He didn't work a miracle. Just like this year, he won meaningless games late in the season. Even that 12-20 record is skewed by a few purely cosmetic wins.

People need to stop referencing last year as if Ryan had them in the thick of the hunt. That team was 5-7 and out of the hunt when they beat Oakland, Cleveland, and Miami to finish at 8-8. Seven of those losses were by ten or more points, four of them by 20 or more, and one of them by 40.

He didn't work a miracle. Just like this year, he won meaningless games late in the season. Even that 12-20 record is skewed by a few purely cosmetic wins.
They got to 5-7 and eliminated by losing 3 straight to non-playoff teams, by a combined score of 79-20.

This thread brought up an interesting thought to me.
Many tout the Ryan schemes as anywhere from genius to dominant, but is that all smoke and mirrors.
From what I see, the Ryan scheme of defense, especially in todays pass heavy NFL is not a good way to win football games. Consistently, they will sell out to stop the run, they will be extremely aggressive and create pressure at times, but they give up a lot of points and don't take the ball away.
So, here is a little research about the Ryans as DC or HC for their careers.

There is a sample size of 21 years (Rob a DC for 11, Rex a DC for 4 and HC for 6)
In those 21 seasons, these teams:
-Had a winning record only 5 times. That is correct, the Ryan brothers have been DC or HC for 21 seasons with only a combined total of 5 winning seasons (rex 4/10 Rob 1/11)
-Combined they have 11 double digit loss seasons (rex 4/10 rob 7/11)
-There total w/l records are 145-191

In 21 seasons they have combined to 7 playoff games, and never made it further than a Championship game loss.

Losing seems to be consistent with the Ryans and their schemes.

Looking a step further, Buddy Ryan, known for the 85 Bears defense coached for 9 years as a DC and 7 years as a HC, and outside of the 85 season only had 1 playoff win in the other 15 years he was a DC or HC.

Very interesting.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back