PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rex Ryan...just "imagine" for a second... him as the DC for the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Rex Ryan...just "imagine" for a second... him as the DC for the Pats

Don't take my word on it. Go read the Jets boards. You'll hear them complaining that Rex has been a complete failure with regards to player development.

One of the things that happens when teams struggle is that fans start complaining. Because most fans don't know much of anything about the game, the complaints are almost always the same (OC sucks! Blitz more!, etc...). Because even fans who know the game aren't privvy to all the needed information, the complaints are always educated guesses at best.

Could Ryan help the team? Maybe.
Would he be a better DC than Patricia? Probably not, because the relationship between Ryan and BB would probably be a disastrous one.
Could he improve the secondary? His poor record with players other than Cromartie and Revis, who are players with talent that was clearly established prior to Ryan joining the Jets, wouldn't seem to indicate that he'd be any sort of slam dunk upgrade.

So...... you're telling me there's a chance....? LOL, kidding.

Good points, well taken as well. You argument is a good one with valid information to back it up.

But he isn't.

You used a different definition of the word than he did. To him, success was "measure of succeeding" and to you it was purely about the "outcome, result".

Those are two very different things. Other one is about "performing well", other one is about "winning". You don't need to perform well to win, and vice versa.

So in other words, you can have success (win SB) without having success (on the defense).
It a football game there is a winner and a loser.
The winner was successful the loser was not. There is no other reasonable definition for success.
The rest of what you said is useless rhetoric.
A point within my argument was that the Patriot system has had more success than anything Ryan has done.

Therefore, I see two flaws in your argument:

1) If the issue with our defense is our current level of performance, then the mere possibility of performing well without winning invalidates your point of SBs being a good measuring stick for success.
Well, that wasn't my point, so it can't really be invalidated.

2) If the issue is the lack of winning, then you contradict your argument about BB being a better defensive coach than Ryan because we wouldn't have that issue if we had a coach who can have success.
This doesnt make any sense.

I love playing with words, but the bottom line is this:
You cannot measure DCs ability to coach a defense by counting his teams' trophies, because that would require you to make ceteris paribus assumption which means that for instance the performance of the offense or the skill levels of the defensive players are meaningless in that equasion.

How can you possibly say that winning isn't a factor in how good a job any coach does? Its the reason you play. To call it irrelevant is simply wrong.

hahahah do you read what you post bro? Seriously. Every post you make defensively is with points allowed but fail to bring up any other stat like pass vs run defense etc. Honestly one of the most hard headed posters on this board IMO. You concede that there is without a shadow of a doubt no remote possibility that it could be coaching and/or scheme and that its purely talent based. Where as most people like myself could see it being a combination of both.

Deus Irae is right. The object of a Defense is not to be dominant or awe inspiring. It exists to to give up fewer points than your team scores. They do.

It ain't "pretty". BDB is never "pretty". But it works. Prove to me it doesn't, or post about something else.

I would do it, the results would be better and so would the press conferences. It is blatantly obvious that the bend and break philosophy is working all too well.

You can't coach players you just plain suck...you can't. Rex wouldn't be able to do much if anything with this group

He is a classic example of a guy who will never become a head coach. Oh wait... :D

You can't coach players you just plain suck...you can't.

....on second thought

Last edited:

Honestly, I like this idea lol

I'd take him in a heart beat. He may not be HC material but the guy is one of the best defensive minds and has the family history to back him up too.

He'd take this D to a whole new level with his schemes. However, I wouldn't trus him with drafting decisions.

Could you see him as a defensive coach for the Patriots? I know, I know..... but before you slash me and my suspect idea, hear me out.

I know he has the attitude that really doesnt fit the Patriots style here but I think the franchise as a whole is beginning to break from that "Patriot Way" theme and figure out ways to win. Now, I was the same guy who was wondering if Crennel would ever come back here as well, I guess I'm really concerned with the defense, go figure.

But just think for a second, although we can't stand the guy, could you imagine what he could do with our defense? I think we lack those confusing plays and "exotic" formations as we so call it. I think Sexy Rexy could make this defense much better, even with the lack of talent we currently have.

His defense lost it's best player and is giving up a ton of yards on the ground but they are still top 5 for pass defense. I know Cromartie has alot to do with that but I think in the scheme of things, he could make a difference.

Okay, now you can shoot my idea down and tell me how much of a loony bin I was for suggesting this! :p

no..you're not loony...you are exactly who you've always been...a grass is greener Pats fan...you have been lusting after Ryan since the Rats won that playoff game...."if only WE had a Rex Ryan defense we wouldn't be bad and ^cry^ ^sniffle^bawl^.."....Rex Ryan is imploding,... just like I and several other long time Patriots fans SAID HE WOULD. I want ZERO to do with this egomaniacal turd..EVER...but don't let that stop you from yammering for the rest of the season about bringing Ryan into the Patriots organization.It just never ends with you shallow minded fanboys.

Last edited:

So...... you're telling me there's a chance....? LOL, kidding.

Good points, well taken as well. You argument is a good one with valid information to back it up.

Thanks. I understand the frustration that fans have with this defense. I've had them for years, myself, and I've taken my share of abuse for it, as you're taking here. I just think people have seen all the crap go through the secondary and begun to think "They can't [highlight]all[/highlight] suck that bad. It's got to be the coaching.". That's a perfectly understandable reaction, IMO, I just think it's wrong.

I just think the proper answer in response is "Sadly, my friend, they really can all suck that bad." I don't think the coaching is perfect, and I've seen some really poor decisions/play calls in the past few years, but I think the problem, overwhelmingly, is talent.

IMO, this coach wouldn't be bringing in a guy like Talib if he thought he already had the horses in his defensive secondary. I look at it sort of like the Winslow, Jr. signing, in terms of desperately gambling on a player that one of his 'guys' (Schiano, in this case) doesn't think is worth the trouble.

no..you're not loony...you are exactly who you've always been...a grass is greener Pats fan...you have been lusting after Ryan since the Rats won that playoff game...."if only WE had a Rex Ryan defense we wouldn't be bad and ^cry^ ^sniffle^bawl^.."....Rex Ryan is imploding,... just like I and several other long time Patriots fans SAID HE WOULD. I want ZERO to do with this egomaniacal turd..EVER...but don't let that stop you for yammering for the rest of the season about bringing Ryan into the Patriots organization.It just never ends with you shallow minded fanboys.

Lol, fanboy. Yeah Ok.

I've been lusting after Rex since the playoff game? I don't remember ever mentioning that, as a matter of fact, this is the first time I've ever proposed this. I give credit where credit is due, point blank. So tuck your lame insults back in and carryon.

SCREW Rex Ryan.

Delusions of grandeur from the first day he stepped foot in the AFC East. He learned the hard way.

Good riddance, blow hard.

Lol, fanboy. Yeah Ok.

I've been lusting after Rex since the playoff game? I don't remember ever mentioning that, as a matter of fact, this is the first time I've ever proposed this. I give credit where credit is due, point blank. So tuck your lame insults back in and carryon.

If you didn't post anything like that you dyam sure are well aware of it if you are a member HERE...don't patronize me...you knew EXACTLY what you were doing when you MADE this thread...and it's a POS idea...period.

If you didn't post anything like that you dyam sure are well aware of it if you are a member HERE...don't patronize me...you knew EXACTLY what you were doing when you MADE this thread...and it's a POS idea...period.

Maybe to you it is. It's good dialogue.

If you don'y like it, don't visit the thread smart guy. No one asked you to visit my POS thread and indulge yourself in my proposal. Again, carry on my friend. If all you have is dislike for the idea, just say it, disagree, and leave. Notice I didn't need any words in all caps to make my point.

No one patronized you. You came in the thread all big & bad like you were going to just shut it down because you disagreed with the initial thought. I asked you to carryon and your attempts to be funny and comical weren't necessary.

Last edited:

I LIKE to use caps to stress words...is that OK with YOU, oh Arbiter Of Internet Propriety And Perfection?...the difference between me and you is I don't care whether you use caps or not, write in riddles or post obvious agenda driven dead horse threads...what I respond to is any assertion that THIS is good dialogue and the subject a viable one. It's idiotic and time will prove that out...but throw up another hundred Yoko Onos in the guise of Lennon threads...it's all good in the long run.

edit:..and there is NO dislike choice for your previous post...if there was it'd be five hundred thumbs down ...note that I say dislike...not hate...I do not hate anybody or anything...but my capacity for disgust is almost inexhaustible.

Last edited:

I LIKE to use caps to stress words...is that OK with YOU, oh Arbiter Of Internet Propriety And Perfection?...the difference between me and you is I don't care whether you use caps or not, write in riddles or post obvious agenda driven dead horse threads...what I respond to is any assertion that THIS is good dialogue and the subject a viable one. It's idiotic and time will prove that out...but throw up another hundred Yoko Onos in the guise of Lennon threads...it's all good in the long run.

edit:..and there is NO dislike choice for your previous post...if there was it'd be five hundred thumbs down ...note that I say dislike...not hate...I do not hate anybody or anything...but my capacity for disgust is almost inexhaustible.

Indeed.I'm fine with that.

Now, if you'll excuse me, off to bed I go. Have a good one.

AHA!!!! That means I get.....

dep_2328930-The-Last-Word-Green-Road-Sign.jpg

...to link watermarked images?

Honestly if either Crennel or Rex were fired and were available for the DC possition it would be a lie if i said i didn't want them.

I think there is a lot of talent on this D but there is just somehitng that needs to click for it all to come together and we haven't seen it yet.

Nink, Cunningham, Vince, Jones on passing downs is one improvement.

Our run D has improves sans last week.

Consistency is really the Key and the better the coaching staff the more likely it is to become more consistent.

Rex or Crennel could do that for us

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey