PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rex Ryan...just "imagine" for a second... him as the DC for the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Rex Ryan...just "imagine" for a second... him as the DC for the Pats

There's no doubt about it that Ryan is a great DC, but there's no way he's getting hired here for that position.
Really? Great DC? What do you base that on?

Terrible idea.
1. Rex's style is high risk all out blitzing, antithetical to BB's approach. BB will never employ a coach who adopts a totally different approach.
2. Rex's style works with CBs who can cover well for the couple seconds it takes the blitz to arrive.
Unless he can coach a pig to fly, he does not have those CBs here.
3. Rex is a ****

I'd welcome Mangini back as a DB advisor/coach.

Does Rexy blitz so much because he doesnt have players that can generate a rush from the outside? Perhaps if he had a solid player like Ninko and an emerging stud like Chandler Jones he woudlnt need to blitz as much.

Also, while Rexy is a bit of a loud-mouth is he playing that part for a reason? He didnt run his mouth as a DC, he was a good soldier and did what he was told, is that impossible if he were to work for BB?

I think he's matured a bit and realized that he loud-mouthed style has hurt his team and the BB approach of talking less is the way to go.

If he brings Darrelle Revis with him, I'm all for it. Otherwise, no thanks.

Rex has ridden the coat tails of great players in Baltimore and one great player in Jetsland. Without out Revis, the Jets are currently giving up 3 more points per game than the Pats. In other words, Sexy Rexy ain't making chicken salad out of chicken ***** this year. A HOF CB allows defenses to be aggressive in so many ways because safety help gets deployed elsewhere. As I posted earlier today in in another thread... Look at Denver....lock down CB (Bailey) and beast pass rusher (Miller)...the holy grail combo platter for D coordinators. QBs won't throw too often at Bailey and they must get rid of the ball ASAP. There's my wish list.

Why? The Jets defense is worse than the Patriots, and has been for most of his time there. Ryan is severely overated. They are 24th in points allowed and where 20th last year. Not even average.

Overall, maybe... but thats stats, we know what we say about stats.

There's no way our pass defense would take a turn for the worse with Rex here, it can't possibly get any worse than it currently is. I think the scheme altogether needs to be revamped. The defenders are like statues, they can't confuse Mark Sanchez for God's sake.

Wake up.

Why? The Jets defense is worse than the Patriots, and has been for most of his time there. Ryan is severely overated. They are 24th in points allowed and where 20th last year. Not even average.

Points allowed doesn't eve come close to telling the whole story in this case. Mark Sanchez alone turned the ball over 22 times last year, and has done it 16 times 9 games into 2012. They also had, just in the Seattle game, almost as many three-and-outs as the Patriots have had all season. When your offense is that inept, it constantly gives the opposition short fields, and it maximizes the number of opportunities they have to score. It's not an aberration that their defense hasn't been stellar in terms of points allowed, considering the context in which most Jets games are played.

Or we could just take Romeo back after KC cleans house, and call it a day.

Points allowed doesn't eve come close to telling the whole story in this case. Mark Sanchez alone turned the ball over 22 times last year, and has done it 16 times 9 games into 2012. They also had, just in the Seattle game, almost as many three-and-outs as the Patriots have had all season. When your offense is that inept, it constantly gives the opposition short fields, and it maximizes the number of opportunities they have to score. It's not an aberration that their defense hasn't been stellar in terms of points allowed, considering the context in which most Jets games are played.

Exactly.

Whether you want to admit it or not, the defense has got to be almost at rock bottom, the Bills game was humbling. You cannot tell me that everybody watching that game was preparing for a loss because the defense couldn't stop them. Just think about what Houston would do? I know we just beat the Broncos but Manning is getting better each week and I'd hate to see him against this defense in the playoffs let alone Aaron Rodgers or Eli in a Superbowl.

We need more confusion, something better than we have. We made Russell Wilson, Kevion Kolb, Flacco and Mark Sanchez look great. I think all of them had a QB rating over 90, except Sanchez but was close with an high 80. Luck will shred this defense, get ready for it. Hopefully Talib can make a difference but we can't expect him to "save" this defense alone. I think the coaching needs to change as well.

Last edited:

I mentioned this in another thread, I also like this idea. You have to think at his age though, retirement is coming sooner or later.

I don't want to imagine..i want to throw up

This would be my preference.

Could you see him as a defensive coach for the Patriots? I know, I know..... but before you slash me and my suspect idea, hear me out.

I know he has the attitude that really doesnt fit the Patriots style here but I think the franchise as a whole is beginning to break from that "Patriot Way" theme and figure out ways to win. Now, I was the same guy who was wondering if Crennel would ever come back here as well, I guess I'm really concerned with the defense, go figure.

But just think for a second, although we can't stand the guy, could you imagine what he could do with our defense? I think we lack those confusing plays and "exotic" formations as we so call it. I think Sexy Rexy could make this defense much better, even with the lack of talent we currently have.

His defense lost it's best player and is giving up a ton of yards on the ground but they are still top 5 for pass defense. I know Cromartie has alot to do with that but I think in the scheme of things, he could make a difference.

Okay, now you can shoot my idea down and tell me how much of a loony bin I was for suggesting this! :p

They're top 5 in completion % and yards, but they're average to below average in every other category. Overall it's a below average pass defense that simply isn't tested much because teams don't need to rack up points on them and can run it effectively against them.

I don't want to imagine..i want to throw up

Well I'm sure you've been quite the puker after watching this defense on a weekly basis.

Well I'm sure you've been quite the puker after watching this defense on a weekly basis.

I have been..and ryan would make it worse

They're top 5 in completion % and yards, but they're average to below average in every other category. Overall it's a below average pass defense that simply isn't tested much because teams don't need to rack up points on them and can run it effectively against them.

Oh okay, still better than the Pats. We aren't top five in anything, never will be at this rate. Sorry to be so negative but BB has to get off his highhorse and do something about it.

I rather doubt anyone here wouldnt prefer RAC to Rexy, it's just that RAC hasn't seemed to want to come back lately.

I have been..and ryan would make it worse

Lol, I doubt he would, stricly football my friend, throw the personality out the window. This team would be better, defensively that is.

I doubt he would

Nope. He would

It's a stupid thread becasue this will never happen. Ever.

Last edited:

Really? Great DC? What do you base that on?

The way his defenses operated in Baltimore and against us earlier in his tenure with the Jets. His defenses have fallen off in the last couple of years, but that also coincides with a loss or lack of talent (something that can be blamed on the defense's woes here). The guy knows defense, just as Belichick does. Give him the horses to run his scheme and history has shown that it's been pretty effective.

Last edited:

The whole "the Jets are giving up more points" thing really is missing a few points.

As someone mentioned there's the Sanchez factor.

But there's also this: the starting NT and #1 CB are both out...take Vince out of the Pats team and what do you think would happen?

He also has to contend with a big lack of quality that can't be disposed of due to bad contracts given out by the GM, look at the Jets starting defense and not one of the LBs (Pace, Harris, Scott, Thomas) would start for the Patriots and not many of the D-line would either.

That could well happen in January similar to Josh McD last year
He might just do it as a swan song temporary advisor thingy before retirement

Romeo, Romeo wherefore art thou?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes