PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rex Ryan continues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling Rex is going to be a great coach.

It's good that he's putting this mentality into his team mates. You can't be intimidated by any other teams, especially ones that you're going to be playing twice a year.
Here's the thing, though. What do they have to be intimidated about? Last time the two teams played, the Jets beat the Pats in that overtime game, which arguably knocked the Pats from the playoffs. You remember that - Favre and Tannenbaum celebrating in the tunnel, with the "f*** yeah!"

When last we left them, the Jets' problem didn't seem to be the Patriots. It seems the bigger problem was them folding like rented chairs down the stretch.

I'm not sure that was a confidence issue.

Here's the thing, though. What do they have to be intimidated about? Last time the two teams played, the Jets beat the Pats in that overtime game

What do they have to be intimidated about? I suppose if you have tunnel vision and try to look at just one fact while discarding it's context and all other related facts, a question like that might make sense. They barely squeaked out a win when the Pats were playing a backup QB. That would be similar to not being intimidated by someone whom you were barely able to "beat up" when they had a broken leg. Well, their leg is fixed now, and they're pissed at all the crap you've been talkin. Oh yeah, and they Jets now have a slight downgrade at QB.

If you stop to consider the Jets recent history against the Pats (not just one game), it becomes much more clear. This is why the Jets are doing their talking now...... cuz once the season starts, their talking will consist of making excuses and pointing fingers.

Last edited:
This guy is up to something...there's gotta be something behind the curtain that he's hiding that is damaging to the team to make him make an ass of himself TWICE.

They either have a major injury, are unsure on offense, or he is addicted to the media attention...either way this is just more bad news for the Jets.

This guy is up to something...there's gotta be something behind the curtain that he's hiding that is damaging to the team to make him make an ass of himself TWICE.

They either have a major injury, are unsure on offense, or he is addicted to the media attention...either way this is just more bad news for the Jets.

How do you figure? I think you hit the nail on the head when you called Ryan an "ass" and as far as the Jets are concerned well...to quote our beloved Bill Belichick, "it is what it is".

This is not how a professional coach conducts himself, and it's not the way you prepare a team for a 16 week emotional roller coaster of a season in one of the toughest divisions in the NFL.

I can't believe how badly he's flaming out already. This guy is an embarrassment, and the minute the jets start losing a few in a row they're going to completely collapse psychologically.

Wow. I'm kind of speechless as to how dumb this is.

What do they have to be intimidated about? I suppose if you have tunnel vision and try to look at just one fact while discarding it's context and all other related facts, a question like that might make sense. They barely squeaked out a win when the Pats were playing a backup QB. That would be similar to not being intimidated by someone whom you were barely able to "beat up" when they had a broken leg. Well, their leg is fixed now, and they're pissed at all the crap you've been talkin. Oh yeah, and they Jets now have a slight downgrade at QB.

If you stop to consider the Jets recent history against the Pats (not just one game), it becomes much more clear. This is why the Jets are doing their talking now...... cuz once the season starts, their talking will consist of making excuses and pointing fingers.
I suppose if you want to look at my post as somehow degrading the Pats you can do that. The point that you missed is that it seems like a spectacular waste of time for the Jets to be woofing at the Patriots in June, when their real issue was missing the playoffs down the stretch when the division was theirs to lose. I don't recall the Pats being much of a factor in that.

Your POV seems to be the Jets have every reason to be intimidated by the Pats. I'd say given their lack of meaningful success since their 06 playoff appearance, their problem isn't limited to the Patriots.

I'd agree that the Pats have had a clear advantage over recent years in terms of control of the division (and by most any other measure), but the Jets have split the season series with the Pats in two of the last three seasons.

In terms of 'context' though, the "backup quarterback" played pretty well in that game, particularly at the end. They lost that game because the defense couldn't get off the field, even on very favorable third and long situations. And I wouldn't describe that as "barely squeaking out a win" when the Pats offense never got on the field in overtime. So that's a bit of tunnel vision on your end too.

I have a feeling John Kennedy Jr. is living with Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster in an underwater city on the lost continent of Atlantis, where pigs fly and mermaids serve free beer.

How do you figure? I think you hit the nail on the head when you called Ryan an "ass" and as far as the Jets are concerned well...to quote our beloved Bill Belichick, "it is what it is".

I'm figuring that maybe he's trying to do his best to make up an act of misdirection to get attention away from obvious deficiencies onto a stronger area...like say his offense especially in light of the running back problems before OTAs.

yup...something ifelt always about baltimore...they were a great defense but would lose the plot at the right moment.
i have heard ryan talk stuff like this before. after tenn playoff game someone asked him about the RB chris johnson torching his defense and he responded "he didnt finish the game..did he" of some sort. iam little worried about cheap shots from this defense...

Me too...I have always been intrigued how Pittsburgh and Baltimore can have games that are closer to street fights or MMA type brutality and at least one of them (Steelers) is able to stay healthy enough for a playoff run. The AFCE has never truly had a brutally physical team and I think some cheap shots are definitely on the horizon in NJ.

Here's the thing, though. What do they have to be intimidated about? Last time the two teams played, the Jets beat the Pats in that overtime game, which arguably knocked the Pats from the playoffs. You remember that - Favre and Tannenbaum celebrating in the tunnel, with the "f*** yeah!"

When last we left them, the Jets' problem didn't seem to be the Patriots. It seems the bigger problem was them folding like rented chairs down the stretch.

I'm not sure that was a confidence issue.

Save for the Parcells years in NJ, the Jets have always folded down the stretch. It is their trademark. On a totally different team with a totally different philosophy, even the 1986 Jets became the toast of the NFL at 10-1 (lone loss to NE) and were blowing people out....but finished 10-6 after 5 straight blow out losses.

Last edited:
You can bet in week 2 that Ryan will be sending his safeties and LBs on non stop blitzes going after Brady's lower extremities.

If I were BB, I use a serious blocking scheme with more of a running game in the plans to protect Tom,He will need it that game I am sure.

You can bet in week 2 that Ryan will be sending his safeties and LBs on non stop blitzes going after Brady's lower extremities.

If I were BB, I use a serious blocking scheme with more of a running game in the plans to protect Tom,He will need it that game I am sure.

Brady has always been strong in the pocket, and while his heart is bigger than Little Ben's, I think Rothlisberger is the perfect big bodied guy to keep taking Rex Ryan players' cheap shots in those Pitt-B'More games. Hopefully, we'll have a little more run and a little more quick 3step drops to let the ball leave the pocket as early as possible.

It's good that he's putting this mentality into his team mates. You can't be intimidated by any other teams, especially ones that you're going to be playing twice a year.

IF the Jets happen to grab Burress if he stays out of a jail cell and Sanchez does not try to become a savior too soon and just manages his position then this Jets team can certainly pose a big threat to the AFC East whether anyone in here believes it or not - IMO The Jets are just a few players away from turning it around.

Anyone who thinks the Jets have NO shot to be competitive in this division is having a pipe dream or they simply hate them so much they can't fathom this team having more than 5 wins.

This division will be FAR from 2007 results - Its probably the toughest or close to toughest in the league this year with all 4 teams having a legitimate shot at the playoffs.

I would be THRILLED if the Pats go 4-2 in the East this year - I can't see better than that

Last edited:
IF the Jets happen to grab Burress if he stays out of a jail cell and Sanchez does not try to become a savior too soon and just manages his position then this Jets team can certainly pose a big threat to the AFC East whether anyone in here believes it or not - IMO The Jets are just a few players away from turning it around.

Anyone who thinks the Jets have NO shot to be competitive in this division is having a pipe dream or they simply hate them so much they can't fathom this team having more than 5 wins.

This division will be FAR from 2007 results - Its probably the toughest or close to toughest in the league this year with all 4 teams having a legitimate shot at the playoffs.

I would be THRILLED if the Pats go 4-2 in the East this year - I can't see better than that

They are an offense away from being an above average team. They were average on both sides of the ball and well below average vs. the pass last year. I am still not convinced that the addition of a couple of players and Ryan's defense is going to make the different to make this an elite defense.

The Jets don't have no shot. They have a very slim shot. Their offense will be the downfall for them and their defense isn't good enough to carry them especially if they have injuries since they are thin at most positions.

I think the division will be less competitive than last year with the Dolphins and Jets taking step back. The Jets because they have zero passing attack and could have issues with the RBs. The Dolphins because most teams that make huge jumps in one year like the Dolphins did usually take a step back the second year. Neither team scare me all that much right now.

Or you send Welker over the middle and let him pick up 20 yards a catch on quick slants because the LB and saferty blitzes leaves the middle of the field wide open. Brady still has the quick release and Welker as a weapon. I welcome an all out blitz. Where the Pats would be more suspectible is against a large fast d-line like the Giants where the entire pocket can break down so quickly.

Brady is rarely afraid of the safety blitz and usually makes teams pay for leaving the middle of the field open. The safety blitz usually plays into Brady's strengths as long as he has a receiver like Welker to take the quick pass.

Maybe I'm giving him too much credit, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if this was all calculated. The Green Beans are desperate to make a "splash" after years upon years of mediocrity. They want to be relevant. They need to sell PSLs. They tried to be "smart" by hiring Tubby Ratfink as BB Jr. That didn't work. They tried to make noise by hiring Favre and it didn't work. Now, they're trying to tell the world how tough they are, and have a Hollywood rookie QB. Just another way of throwing something at the wall to see if it sticks and someone notices.

You hit on it there. Woody Johnson is desperate to sell PSLs in the new stadium. So far he's behind the curve in expensive PSL sales and moves like drafting Sanchez and Ryan's big talk get the fanbase stoked up and ready to open their pocketbooks. I'm convinced that one reason Ryan was chosen aside from his fine defensive credentials was his penchant for press clipings. A quiet BB approach to the season would not stimulate the sale of PSLs. End of story.

Or you send Welker over the middle and let him pick up 20 yards a catch on quick slants because the LB and saferty blitzes leaves the middle of the field wide open. Brady still has the quick release and Welker as a weapon. I welcome an all out blitz. Where the Pats would be more suspectible is against a large fast d-line like the Giants where the entire pocket can break down so quickly.

Brady is rarely afraid of the safety blitz and usually makes teams pay for leaving the middle of the field open. The safety blitz usually plays into Brady's strengths as long as he has a receiver like Welker to take the quick pass.

The problem comes with Brady getting hit after he throws. I wouldn't put it past Tubby Wrecks to tell his guys, "I don't care if you're a little late, just hit him." He (and everyone else) knows from last year that one devastating hit on Tom is all it takes to throw the division -- heck, the whole conference -- up for grabs. I just hope the refs are on top of things. I assume BB will have Wrecks' blitz schemes thoroughly scouted. I'll be holding my breath if/when the Pats go to the spread with empty backfield.

The problem comes with Brady getting hit after he throws. I wouldn't put it past Tubby Wrecks to tell his guys, "I don't care if you're a little late, just hit him." He (and everyone else) knows from last year that one devastating hit on Tom is all it takes to throw the division -- heck, the whole conference -- up for grabs. I just hope the refs are on top of things. I assume BB will have Wrecks' blitz schemes thoroughly scouted. I'll be holding my breath if/when the Pats go to the spread with empty backfield.

Wasn't it a 1RB formation when he got injured?

Wasn't it a 1RB formation when he got injured?

I didn't suggest NOT running the spread against them. I just wouldn't put it past Wrecks to consider a personal foul or two a fair trade-off for attempting to take out Brady.

I didn't suggest NOT running the spread against them. I just wouldn't put it past Wrecks to consider a personal foul or two a fair trade-off for attempting to take out Brady.

Yeah, I think that's a worry too. That said, I think that aggressiveness will be managed well by Brady and co. and turned into free yards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back