PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rex Ryan: "As long as the Patriots have Tom Brady, they're the division favorites"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rex Ryan: "As long as the Patriots have Tom Brady, they're the division favorites

i don't get how anyone can not love rex ryan. some of yall are pats fans, not sports fans.

I can appreciate Jabba's gift for comic relief but that doesn't mean I have to love him too. The flip side is that he's quite boorish and sometimes downright obnoxious.

Re: Rex Ryan: "As long as the Patriots have Tom Brady, they're the division favorites

I have to admit I hated him at first but I respect him now.

I still gutted I watched that mic'd up video of him because I kinda liked him in that. He did a great job with that team last year, they should not have been anywhere near the playoffs but he got them there. Apart from the Belichick comment I've no problem with him as much as I'd like to.

Are you trying to say that Romo is actually better than Young? I may have a fit.

Which is it, you don't understand sarcasm or know what a "?" (QUESTION MARK) is?

The previous poster said Romo was the best TO ever had, which I questioned sarcasticly asking if Romo was better than Steve Young

Some of us are also football fans and not sports as entertainment fans. Rex's shenenigans are entertaining as long as he's not coaching my team. As a football fan I'll take the HC who as a DC had a game plan enshrined in Canton before he was 40 who had won his first of 3 Superbowls to date before he was 48 and was a HOF lock by the time he was 50. At 48 and counting, Rex's teams haven't won a damn thing in his tenure as a DC or a HC. As a football fan I don't find the personality based, incessant, media driven ballwashing he receives all that entertaining. Particularly when it's often at my teams or HC's expense...when as a HC all he's shown me is he can get that legendary cluster*** of an organization he works for to the conference championship provided everyone they're matched up against decides to lay down or roll over...

Exactly. If I like Rex Ryan, I'd watch WWF again. But I can't stand when someone who still to this day has what to his name? Comes in talking like he's big ****. At least be arrogant when you've earned the right to be. I would HATE to have him as the HC of the Patriots, I would absolutely dred it. You just watch, the second they start losing there in New York his ass is going to get lit up with his quotes thrown right back in his face.

i don't get how anyone can not love rex ryan. some of yall are pats fans, not sports fans.

I don't think that's a fair statement. I live in Manhattan and know several Jets fans who aren't sold on Rex. Now, these people do happen to be educated, sober most of the time and can piece together two coherent sentences with subjects, verbs and objects, so perhaps they are not typical of the fanbase. Also, a number of friends elsewhere in the country (ex New England) just think he's a buffoon.

I also think he's just tolerated by several members of the sports media in New York. I think Gary Myers gets it just about right in his articles on Rex. He praises him for loosening things up after the "Mangini Error" as well as for taking some of the heat away from his players by turning it on himself. But, Gary often questions his lack of discipline and suggests that he ought to keep his mouth shut. Lupica and Cimini have taken a similar, but not as critical approach.

So, I don't think you have to be a Jets hater to have issues with Rex Ryan. I'm not sure he's good for the game and, in the long run, I don't think he'll even be good for the Jets, who have probably already seen the highpoint of the Ryan years.

Personally, I think his lack of self-discipline will translate to the team. The incident in Miami is a good example. He not only went to a beer-soaked venue, but he baited the crowd by saying the Jets would sweep the Fins next year. He then didn't have the discipline to handle the abuse that the local fans heaped upon him. Put it this way, I won't be at all surprised when he has his first shoving match or loud argument with a coach or player on the sidelines.

I have to admit I hated him at first but I respect him now.

I still gutted I watched that mic'd up video of him because I kinda liked him in that. He did a great job with that team last year, they should not have been anywhere near the playoffs but he got them there. Apart from the Belichick comment I've no problem with him as much as I'd like to.

He's an excellent defensive coach and I will always respect him for that but I will always have a problem with him as a HC because of the way he had ex-Pats players come in as captains only for the Pats games.

Herm Edwards says Jets are team to beat in the AFC next year.

Herm's Teams To Beat - ESPN Video - ESPN

A little premature considering teams haven't had the opportunity to fortify their rosters via the draft, FA period, cap-hit-pickups, TC, etc...

Can you imagine what our defense would be like if we had Rex as the defensive coach... Not for nothing, football is bout smashin people in the mouth and lettin them kno who we are as a team... He brought that to the Jets and it worked well for them...

Can you imagine what our defense would be like if we had Rex as the defensive coach... Not for nothing, football is bout smashin people in the mouth and lettin them kno who we are as a team... He brought that to the Jets and it worked well for them...

I would have more fun seeing the clash between Belichick & Ryan.

I would have more fun seeing the clash between Belichick & Ryan.

Thats what needs to happen wit the Patriots... Bill has yes men as coaches (argeeing wit Bill on everything)... Rex would probably challenge Bill but it would be good for the team... We dont need a defensive coach acting like this...

Bill: Well I see Peppers might be a good fit here but we can draft a OLB in the 5th round and hope he's a gem...

Defensive Coach: Your right Bill...

Thats not what we need... We need new coaches to refresh the defense... The league has caught up wit Bill and his schemes... I say his schemes cause like i wrote before, he has yes men as his coaches...

Jabba Wrecks' new strategy is to poor-mouth his team "aw shucks" style until it's time to play. Then a day or so before the game he declares his Green Beans the best ever and boasts they're not afraid of anyone. His act already is wearing thin.
And that's a win-win strategy for Ryan. If the Pats win then it's 'hey, I told you they were better', but if the Jets win then it's 'hey, I told you we would win'. In fact if I am not mistaken Rex flip flopped in a similar manner before the first Pats - Jets game.

Is this a rare humble Rex Ryan? or shall I say still humbled after the beatdown in Indy or is this just some BS thing he said but does not believe to avoid making another offseason of nothing but trash talk?

Jets coach Rex Ryan: 'The Patriots are still the favorites' - The Huddle: Football News from the NFL - USATODAY.com

What happened to - I didn't come here to kiss his rings? LOL. Humility doesn't really suit Ryan. If he's trying to change his stripes and appear to be less of a blowhard, it's not working. Dude just toot your own horn. I know you want to. After all, your team made it deeper into the playoffs than the Pats. Who abducted the real Rex Ryan or maybe his publicist put him up to this?? :p

Last edited:

Some of us are also football fans and not sports as entertainment fans. Rex's shenenigans are entertaining as long as he's not coaching my team. As a football fan I'll take the HC who as a DC had a game plan enshrined in Canton before he was 40 who had won his first of 3 Superbowls to date before he was 48 and was a HOF lock by the time he was 50. At 48 and counting, Rex's teams haven't won a damn thing in his tenure as a DC or a HC. As a football fan I don't find the personality based, incessant, media driven ballwashing he receives all that entertaining. Particularly when it's often at my teams or HC's expense...when as a HC all he's shown me is he can get that legendary cluster*** of an organization he works for to the conference championship provided everyone they're matched up against decides to lay down or roll over...

Agreed 100%, except for the part about "Rex's shenenigans are entertaining as long as he's not coaching my team."
I dont' think he is entertaining at all, even when he is coaching elsewhere.
What WILL be entertaining is the media horde descending on him when the whole thing collapses in a heap....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes