PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rex Ryan Announces He is going back to the Ground and Pound

Status
Not open for further replies.
The consumate pessimists are splitting hairs. I agree the Pats D did a nice job of "limiting" the Raider running game, especially as compared to the Jet D the prior week. Perhaps your use of the term "shut down" was too liberal for their delicate sensibilities. Shutting down does imply, in football terms, less than 100yds which was correct for McFadden but incorrect for the Raider running game overall. All that said I fully agree with your assessment that the Pats D did a good overall job of limiting the Raiders running game, I was expecting much worse having seen what they did to the Jets run D only 1 week prior.

They have no choice but to ground and pound. At least one of Holmes/Burress will be shut down completely :

317253_2158226755497_1241340432_32201287_581589254_n.jpg

HAHAHAHA! I thought Rex said, "I wish I could still eat at the Ground Round!" HAHAHAHAHA!

I think this is an obfuscation by Ryan. The Jesters come out throwing, but Vince has a big day and picks off Sanchez twice.

Rex has proven he is a good coach regardless of his bombast. This statement is nothing more than a ploy to set up that play action pass up the seam to Keller on the first play the Jets have the ball.

On the positive side, I fully believe Mangold will be back. He almost made it back last week, I see no reason to believe he won't take the next step. That being said there are a couple of reasons the Jets won't be "grounding and pounding".

1. Normally if you as a HC wanted to get your team in a "ground and pound" mentality you'd put on the pads for 3 days that week and really work on it. Now you can't. New CBA rules, only ONE padded practice per week He can only work on it on Wednesday and then just talk about the rest of the week. That isn't going to change any mentality.

2. Even a healthy Mangold isn't going to make the Jets running game more effective. SGreene has turned out to be their version of BJGE - a good solid NFL RB who, at his best, needs a hold to create yds.

Moore and Mangold are 2 above average run blockers, the rest are just average at best. Right now I don't see how the Jets can possibly be serious about attacking what seems to be the only strength the Pats D has show thus far.

So the Pats cant rush the passer and they can't defend the pass, so lets rush the ball and forget about the pass. :rolleyes: Not even Rex is THAT dumb. Its nothing but puffery, and what IS dumb about it is that its so damned transparent.

So watch for that play action pass the first play for the Jets offense. You heard it here first.

I was pretty happy with the run d yesterday. Pass D was better as well but they were playing against Jason Campbell. Big Al and hopefully one of Dowling and Bodden will be back for this game.

plz note the offensive line stats of the league and note who is in top 5 (might surprise some ppl)

1 Oak
2 BUFF
3 TENN
4 PATS
5 LIONS
24 NYJ

I could have sworn we played 2 of these teams already. What????? they are ranked #1 and #2 on the O-Line???

where are the NY JESTS ranked?:cool:

NFL Stats: by Team Category

Last edited:
Based on the thread title, I first thought Rex was quitting as a coach and opening a hamburger restraunt called "Ground and Pound".

Where's he going to get the "beef" to support a solid running game?

As a side note, I saw a caption on ESPN that said the "Jets locker in turmoil?" I may have to see if there is an article...it may be that the salary cap finally caught up?

Not buying this. Haloti Ngata, Ed Reed and Terrell Suggs aren't walking through that door. Sanchez throws for 350+ this week.

So? I don't care as long as we get the W.

FYI that I also feel that Sanchez will come out looking like a top QB based on his stats in the game against us. Hope I am wrong but I am not going to lose sleep over it.

Last edited:
Perhaps the desire to go with the 'ground and pound' is a simple case of wanting to rely less on Mark Sanchez and the passing game.

Of course Sanchez does have nowhere to go but up this week.

New stat rates Mark Sanchez's game worst - Jets Blog - ESPN New York

Mark Sanchez’s numbers on Sunday were so bad that they set the new standard for awfulness for ESPN’s new Total Quarterback Rating.

You may have heard about this new metric, devised by ESPN Stats & Information to rate quarterback performance on a scale from 0 to 100. It’s more useful than the NFL’s passer rating because, among other things, it looks at not just the results for a quarterback (both running and passing), but the situations in which those results occurred (touchdowns to put a team ahead late have greater value than yards gained with a team winning by 30).

Over 46 plays, Sanchez rated an 0.6, the worst of any quarterback involved in 40 or more plays in a game over the last four seasons.

Yes, I do know the QBR rating is not without its faults. But if nothing else the comments section following the article should become entertaining to read in a few hours.

Last edited:
Based on the thread title, I first thought Rex was quitting as a coach and opening a hamburger restraunt called "Ground and Pound".

Where's he going to get the "beef" to support a solid running game?

As a side note, I saw a caption on ESPN that said the "Jets locker in turmoil?" I may have to see if there is an article...it may be that the salary cap finally caught up?

That's cause some of their players have taken it upon themselves to become outspoken in defeat...like their HC. Santonio isn't happy about the way the passing game is going and ground and pound doesn't appeal to him. The unarmed other aging hired gun is babbling about cracks in the foundation...The boy leader doesn't have to stones to shoulder responsibility even if his beleagured OL shares much of the blame, so he's pointing fingers at the OC (we're too predictable...). The whole crew needs some humble pie and a reality check... But this is what happens when you essendially build a house of cards out of inflated egos and overpay for talent you overhyped yourself to the point you can't afford quality depth and the HC gets to name the captains based on blowing smoke up their asses to keep those egos inflated.

I hope Vince sits on Sanchez

He'll surely be too shaken up to play well after that.

Well what else can Rex say? Their attempts to become a passing team have been woeful. Of course their attempt to become a passing team were brought about by their failure to run the ball. So, in this scenario, one failure at one phase of the game leads to a change to another phase of the game leading to another failure.

The problem the YETS have is that they failed to improve their team via the draft or free agency. Their big, deep threat receiver was Braylon Edwards and they replaced him with Burress, who is not an upgrade. The YETS coaches have been praising Plax's blocking but the guy is a receiver right? They let Woody retire and now with the Mangold injury their lack of depth on the O-line is exposed.

They still have a credible defense but the offense is beyond suspect.

It sounds as if the Jets are starting to eat their young. Finger pointing is a great thing as they prepare for the Patriots. Last season, the 45 - 3 whupping at Foxboro seemed to coalesce the Jets as they made their annual back-in to the playoffs and preparations for the Patriots in the playoffs.

I'd love to see a solid, non-dramatic Patriot victory with a reasonable score 27 - 14 or something so as not to provide any fuel and still demonstrate which is the better team.

The Jets are in a weird position with three division games in a row coming up and two of those probably losses to NE and Buffalo. It is not hard to imagine them at 3-4 after seven games.

Well what else can Rex say? Their attempts to become a passing team have been woeful. Of course their attempt to become a passing team were brought about by their failure to run the ball. So, in this scenario, one failure at one phase of the game leads to a change to another phase of the game leading to another failure.

How about NOTHING?

Just STFU and work your game plan in secret

Question...when did the Jabba the Gut abandon ground and pound, i thought that is what the Rats were doing. :confused:

Sanchez will get 300+ against this Pats D- its really not that hard- be harder to get under that

How about NOTHING?

Just (Please be quiet - edited) and work your game plan in secret

Aw, come on! I belong to the group that hated his PCs in his first year but then started to laugh at his antics and frank reactions that aren't as bland - and footish, er, foolish :D - as those of the other coaches.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye