PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Revisiting the rookie class of 2016

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Just one last check up at this point. In this class is.

Cyrus Jones - CB
Joe Thuney - OG/OT
Vincent Valentine - DT
Jacoby Brissett - QB
Malcolm Mitchell - WR
KGH - LB
Elandon Robert -LB
Ted Karras - OG
Devin Lucien - WR

Key UDFAs - J Jones - CB, LeBlanc - CB, DJ Foster - RB,

Looking at it the night of cut downs i would put this rookie class against near any of the other 31 NFL teams besides maybe the Jags. Though I don't think there is a future HOFer here I am very happy with this class.

Then you must be made happy very, very easily.

Just one last check up at this point. In this class is.

Cyrus Jones - CB
Joe Thuney - OG/OT
Vincent Valentine - DT
Jacoby Brissett - QB
Malcolm Mitchell - WR
KGH - LB
Elandon Robert -LB
Ted Karras - OG
Devin Lucien - WR

Key UDFAs - J Jones - CB, LeBlanc - CB, DJ Foster - RB,

Looking at it the night of cut downs i would put this rookie class against near any of the other 31 NFL teams besides maybe the Jags. Though I don't think there is a future HOFer here I am very happy with this class.

Yup. Jones, Thuney, Valentine and Mitchell should all get significant reps this year.

Hope KGH makes the PS. Great haul otherwise.

I hope KGH gets on the ps

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

I am disappointed we did not get a true elite player but it is hard to get one without a first round pick. Overall I think we did well with our picks and I am happy with the class especially considering where we picked.
So you dont think that Malcolm mitchell and Vincent Valentine dont have a chance to be elite? Considering that they wont be constantly injured and the Valentine dude wont get lazy. I have good feeling about those two, but my football evaluation knowledge is like in same games - click to start tutorial.

So you dont think that Malcolm mitchell and Vincent Valentine dont have a chance to be elite? Considering that they wont be constantly injured and the Valentine dude wont get lazy. I have good feeling about those two, but my football evaluation knowledge is like in same games - click to start tutorial.

Well when i say elite I mean a top 10 player at their psotion. I think guys like McCourty, Gronk, Hightower, Collins, Butler, ect...

I don't think we got a guy like that but we will see. If anyone has a shot to be a true Elite i think Valentine has the best shot due to his measurables. Few DTs his size can do what he does in the NFL. Maybe he can be a Wilfork like player but IDK about it. I would be happy if he is a Brown who while he seems to be a pretty good starting DT is not a big time game changer.

8 games in and taking a quick look.

Cyrus Jones - CB - #60 I thought this kid would be a player but the game seems too fast for him right now. I was happy with the pick at the time but i am prone to say he is likely a bust at this point. Value: 7th round pick developmental player.

Joe Thuney - G - #78 - What a pick. This guy almost single handed saved the draft. The best guard picked this year most likey. Value: low 1st round pick

Jacoby Brisset - QB - #91 - I liked some things i have seen from him but still has a lot to learn. Showed some good intangibles though. Value mid 4th round pick

Vincent Valentine - DT - #96 - He has flashed a bit but I was hoping for a tad more consistently. Still the talent that flashes on occasion makes me believe in the upside here. Value low 3rd round pick.

Malcolm Mitchell - WR - #113 - A solid rookie player who if in a different situation would put up more numbers. However he has reliable vets ahead of him but has the talent. He needs to work on his hands some but seems to get it so i call this a slight win. Value low 3rd round pick.

Kamu Grugier-Hill - LB #208 - On the field for a pretty loaded Eagles defense. This is one I am sad to see go and makes we wish the Pats never signed McCellin cause i could see Hill doing more down the line. Roster casualty but the draft pick was a clear win due to upside. Value low 4th round pick

Elandon Roberts - LB #214 - A large part of the reason Hill is not on the team and has not been thought of much. One of the top 10 steals of this draft most likely. This kid just seems to get it. He has flashed various games and while I am unsure about his total upside I think we found a staple for years to come. Value low 2nd round pick.

Ted Karras - G - #221 - The Pats rocked the 6th round this year. Karras played for the injured Mason when he was hurt and did not seem out of place. He can back up 3 spots and will only get better. I think he will be a core OL back up for years. Value mid 4th round pick.

Devin Lucien - WR - #225 - We had hopes but they have not worked out to date. He has talent but hasn't shown it enough and looks like a long shot at this point. Still not bad for the spot. Value 7th round pick developmental player.

So all said and done I think with took a 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 6, 6, 6, 7 and if i looked at the class today I say the value is a 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 7, 7

I would call this year a win for sure overall for value even without a first.

Last edited:
Thuney looks like a 2-3 year vet. Especially in the run game. Scarnecchia is all over these guys from a technique standpoint imo. In pass pro, hes balanced. Shoulders-hips-feet all aligned and not biting by coming forward or be front loaded.

Hes a top 25 guy from his class right now.

I loved the Roberts pick and think he's a player. Hes just perfect for Bill. Hes a football player. Limited but still a lot of upside.

Mitchell just needs to stay healthy and keep his eyes open. Another perfect fit with legit skill set. Hes not just a story. I love every time he's targeted. Very nice depth for now.

For now 1st that's very good.

Cy Jones: Bust

He has had some nice moments in coverage lately. While he has certainly disappointed, I'm not ready to write him off just yet.

I still wish we'd traded up a few slots to take Sean Davis. He had his first interception last Sunday, and he's been a starter all year for an improving Pittsburgh defense. As the second round went on, I mentioned to my wife that I was very worried that Davis would go to one of the AFC teams just before us, and I was clamoring for us to move up before he was gone. He is almost identical to Rowe athletically, but I think he's a touch quicker and more explosive out of his breaks. Ah well. Maybe one day. . . .

Jones' inability to be the next great return man in the nfl is perplexing, he was magnificent in college.

Confidence appears shot. He needs a sports shrink to help him out.

He has had some nice moments in coverage lately. While he has certainly disappointed, I'm not ready to write him off just yet.

I still wish we'd traded up a few slots to take Sean Davis. He had his first interception last Sunday, and he's been a starter all year for an improving Pittsburgh defense. As the second round went on, I mentioned to my wife that I was very worried that Davis would go to one of the AFC teams just before us, and I was clamoring for us to move up before he was gone. He is almost identical to Rowe athletically, but I think he's a touch quicker and more explosive out of his breaks. Ah well. Maybe one day. . . .

Thats why it special when they draft a guy you live, your binky lol.

Once F.A. is figured out. And there's a lot there. We'll obviously have a better picture.

I think Desmond King is a perfect fit for Pittsburgh and Carolina (Although they seem to be comfortable waiting for their cb's)

Thats why it special when they draft a guy you live, your binky lol.

Once F.A. is figured out. And there's a lot there. We'll obviously have a better picture.

I think Desmond King is a perfect fit for Pittsburgh and Carolina (Although they seem to be comfortable waiting for their cb's)

For sure! The last time that happened was Shaq Mason and Darryl Roberts. Unfortunately, Roberts is now with the Jets. Oof. :(

Davis has a sack already against the Bills today. He seems to be really coming along nicely. He'd be a great chess piece for us. Maybe free agency in a few years lol.

For sure! The last time that happened was Shaq Mason and Darryl Roberts. Unfortunately, Roberts is now with the Jets. Oof. :(

Davis has a sack already against the Bills today. He seems to be really coming along nicely. He'd be a great chess piece for us. Maybe free agency in a few years lol.

LOL Was literally about to say Davis is havinga nice game. Big 3rd stop at or behind los just now.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back