PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Revisiting our 2009 NFL draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Half way thru the 2012 NFL Season, the "Edelman experiment has failed".

Its hasn't failed in Madden 13 I guess BB and McDaniels play it alot and hope to duplicate the success in real life.:D:bricks:

I hope, at the very least, you've come around on Thomas.
Thomas was subpar against the New York Jets.

I already have my binkie offensive guard listed on the Patriots Draft Talk thread for the 2013 NFL Draft.

Thomas was subpar against the New York Jets.

I already have my binkie offensive guard listed on the Patriots Draft Talk thread for the 2013 NFL Draft.

Okay. Can't admit you were wrong. Fair enough.

Tip i getting a feeling that you don't like that guy?:confused::D
Donald Thomas was subpar against the New York Jets. In addition, there is a reason why Donald Thomas is a backup offensive guard on the New England Patriots roster. Furthermore, the New England Patriots need to consider retooling the right offensive guard position as early as 2013. Dan Connolly is a better center than guard and Dan Connolly is a better center than Ryan Wendell.

List of 2013 New England Patriots unrestricted free agents:

Danny Woodhead
Visanthe Shiancoe
Donald Thomas
Sebastian Vollmer
Wes Welker
Deion Branch
Julian Edelman
Ron Brace
Myron Pryor
Trevor Scott
Tracy White
Niko Koutouvides
Kyle Arrington
Marquice Cole
Patrick Chung

Long list, but not too bad. I hope the Pats re-up Thomas, Vollmer, and Welker on that list, but the rest should either a) come back cheaply, and/or b) it doesn't really matter if they stay or not.

Woodhead is the only other player on that list that I'd consider to be of real significance to the team, but there's enough young RB talent that losing him wouldn't be the end of the world, at least. Could maybe make a similar-but-lesser case for Edelman, too. The only other major contributes are White, who should come cheap, and Arrington and Chung, who I'd just as soon not have back at all.

No, that Thomas should be cut/isn't worth a roster spot.
Based upon your comment, the New England Patriots should not consider upgrading the position in calendar year 2013.

Thomas was not playing at an NFL level in his early appearances.

No, he wasn't particularly good, but I also don't know any/many teams in the league with a better fourth guard.

Donald Thomas was subpar against the New York Jets. In addition, there is a reason why Donald Thomas is a backup offensive guard on the New England Patriots roster. Furthermore, the New England Patriots need to consider retooling the right offensive guard position as early as 2013. Dan Connolly is a better center than guard and Dan Connolly is a better center than Ryan Wendell.

Agreed - Connolly should not be the answer at RG. He's the answer at center, and someone else should be at RG.

Based upon your comment, the New England Patriots should not consider upgrading the position in calendar year 2013.

Well, you've certainly taken some liberties with what I wrote, whether intentional or due to poor comprehension, as I said nothing of the sort.

Also, this was the draft that brought Ohrenberger into the league, which is worth mentioning if only because he probably has the funniest twitter feed I've ever seen.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: <from the aforementioned twitter feed> I'm not sure how but I got garlic powder all over a banana, devoured it, and I now have a new favorite snack.. In other words, I'm very fat

For what it's worth (not much) here is a tally of Pro Football Reference's Career AV totals for players from the 2009 draft. It's far from perfect (e.g., they give Michael Crabtree and Johnny Knox a 20 while Sean Smith gets a 16 and Lardarius Webb gets a 15), but at least it is some sort of a metric for comparing teams and their draft picks. Points excluded for players that were cut, no longer in NFL, etc. (e.g., Aaron Maybin for Buffalo).

I wouldn't rate the Jaguars nearly as high as they are, but if nothing else it gives you a team-by-team list of players still with the club that drafted them.

Interesting to note that the Pats and Jets have identical totals; it seems like skill positions get a higher rating than they should.

If you use this metric then the Patriots' 2009 draft was not great, but was above average in comparison to the rest of the NFL teams.

87: Jaguars (Eugene Monroe, Mike Thomas, Terrence Knighton, Derek Cox, Eben Britton, Rashad Jennings)

77: Texans (Brian Cushing, Glover Quin, Connor Barwin, Antoine Caldwell, James Casey, Brice McCain, Troy Nolan)

75: Lions (Matthew Stafford, Brandon Pettigrew, DeAndre Levy, Louis Delmas, Sammie Lee Hill, Lydon Murtha)

74: Packers (Clay Matthews, B.J. Raji, T.J. Lang, Brad Jones)

65: Vikings (Percy Harvin, Phil Loadholt, Jamarca Sanford, Jasper Brinkley)

60: Titans (Kenny Britt, Jared Cook, Jason McCourty, Gerald McRath, Javon Ringer, Sen'Derrick Marks, Ryan Mouton)

56: Steelers (Mike Wallace, Evander Hood, Kraig Urbik, David Johnson, Keenan Lewis)

55: Colts (Austin Collie, Donald Brown, Jerraud Powers, Fili Moala)

53: Eagles (LeSean McCoy, Jeremy Maclin)

50: Patriots (Sebastian Vollmer, Patrick Chung, Julian Edelman, Ron Brace, Myron Pryor)

50: Jets (Mark Sanchez, Shonn Greene, Matt Slauson)

49: Bengals (Rey Maualuga, Michael Johnson, Bernard Scott, Andre Smith)

47: Bills (Jairus Byrd, Andy Levitre, Eric Wood)

42: Giants (Hakeem Nicks, William Beatty, Travis Beckum, Ramses Barden)

41: Bucs (Josh Freeman, Roy Miller, Sammie Stroughter, E.J. Biggers)

40: Ravens (Michael Oher, Lardarius Webb, Paul Kruger)

39: Chargers (Louis Vasquez, Vaughn Martin, Tyronne Green, Larry English)

37: Falcons (William Moore, Christopher Owens, Peria Jerry, Vance Walker, Lawrence Sidbury, Garrett Reynolds)

37: Rams (James Laurinaitis, Bradley Fletcher)

33: Cardinals (Chris Wells, LaRod-Stephens Howling, Rashad Johnson, Greg Toler)

33: Broncos (Knowshon Moreno, Robert Ayers, David Bruton)

32: Browns (Alex Mack, Mohamed Massaquoi, Kaluka Maiava)

31: Raiders (Darrius Heyward-Bey, Matt Shaughnessy, Brandon Myers, Michael Mitchell)

30: Bears (Johnny Knox, Lance Louis, D.J. Moore)

29: Dolphins (Sean Smith, Brian Hartline)

24: Panthers (Sherrod Martin, Captain Munnerlyn)

24: Redskins (Brain Orakpo)

23: 49ers (Michael Crabtree, Ricky-Jean Francois)

19: Saints (Malcolm Jenkins)

17: Chiefs (Tyson Jackson, Jake O'Connell)

11: Seahawks (Max Unger)

9: Cowboys (John Phillips, Victor Butler)

2009 NFL Draft Listing - Pro-Football-Reference.com

NFL Draft History and AFL Drafts - Pro-Football-Reference.com

When did Scott Pioli leave for KC... 2009?? Things seem to have picked up considerably...eh?

When did Scott Pioli leave for KC... 2009?? Things seem to have picked up considerably...eh?

Impact players 2006-2009 (38 picks) - Mayo, Vollmer, Gostkowski

Impact players 2010-2012 (28 picks) - Gronk, Hernandez, Spikes, Ridley, Solder, C.Jones, Hightower, Mesko, UDFA Love and maybe McCourty

To early to tell on the rest of this year's rookie class of Denard, Wilson, Bequette, Ebner, Bolden and Francis but you might get another impact player or two

They've added quite a bit of talent the last three years. Not so much the previous four.

Love to have taken those 4 players. Sucks.

As for Laurinatis, I would have passed (even though I loved him at Ohio State).
In a 34 defense, he would have been playing weakside LB. Even though Mayo can play the SILB spot (he did it in 2009 with Guyton as the WILB), he is far more effective playing WILB in a 34.

If Bill had not drafted Mayo with his first pick the previous year, then I would've been all over
Laurinatis at 34. I felt he was the best player available regardless of position. Chung, OTOH,
I felt was more of a mid/late-2nd-round talent than an early-2nd-rounder.

I was fine with the Butler pick because, like Bill, I felt that he was the best CB available.
Unfortunately, we were both wrong. I wonder if the collapses in Miami & Indy that season
demoralized him beyond repair.

Brace ahead of Barwin? Simply Inexcusable. Nuff said.

Overall, Bill's hits were: Seabass & Edelman;
his misses were: Everybody Else.
Chung can be given 1/2 credit, I suppose, for being an unreliable, injury-prone, backup-caliber JAG.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots