PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Revis Speaks: Pats Not In Ball Park And More.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really hoping Butler's SB was a coming out party, rather than the CB version of David Tyree's SB42... (1 game wonder)

I'm really hoping Butler's SB was a coming out party, rather than the CB version of David Tyree's SB42... (1 game wonder)

Butler made great plays throughout the season when he got playing time though. I remember him making some good plays vs Emanuel sanders in the denver game near the end.

If he doesnt let his head get too big and continues his preparation and practice I think he will be a real good player and starter for us next year

I still don't think the Jets were going to lose Revis unless he took less to come back to New England. Even if the Pats were in the ball park, the Jets would have continued to throw money at him. They Pats would never be in the ball park money-wise with the Jets for Revis. The only way the Pats had a chance on pure money was to throw stupid money at Revis that was so stupid that even the Jets wouldn't match it.

Sure the Pats could have picked up the option, but I don't think either side would have been happy with that scenario. The Pats would have had to cut a lot more players to get under the cap. Revis would not have long term security and may not have gotten a big contract next year.

If we knew what we know now, I'm sure that almost everyone here would have signed Revis, Browner and Chung for the $20M it took to secure the services for one year. As someone said, Belichick went "all in". Given the statement by Kraft regarding the need to extend lots of young players, I'm surprised that we even made an offer that was close. After all, the team had the following to extend over the next couple of years: McCourty (done), Gostkowski, Solder, Hightower, Jones and Collins.

Our all-in isn't everybody else's all-in.

We're all-in for the long run. And in a few years, we better not be in cap jail when the rest of the team has to somehow make up for the drop-off between Brady and [Your Name Here.]

No dis against Jimmy G (everybody please stop calling him JAG, it's too much of a jinx,) but we don't know that we've "found a gem" in him. We just know that we drafted him and he finished out one regular season game. From your keyboard to God's monitor, but we don't really know. We know what we've got in TFB.

I do not hate him or have any hard feelings but I do have an odd suspicion that he will get hurt.

Between now and 5 years from now (his contract length,) it seems pretty likely. I hope you don't mean he'll get hurt because people are looking to hurt him, in the stomping-on-the-calf Suh way.

Butler made great plays throughout the season when he got playing time though. I remember him making some good plays vs Emanuel sanders in the denver game near the end.

If he doesnt let his head get too big and continues his preparation and practice I think he will be a real good player and starter for us next year

If I call 'em like I see 'em, I agree. However, how I see 'em is very likely affected by a thoroughly rose-colored view of Butler (in fact, almost certainly.)

Our all-in isn't everybody else's all-in.
We're all-in for the long run. And in a few years, we better not be in cap jail when the rest of the team has to somehow make up for the drop-off between Brady and [Your Name Here.]

In 2014, the patriots chose to spend $17M of cap money for ONE year of cornerback services ($20M if you include Chung). IMHO, that meets the definition of "all in".

Other teams go "all in" AND sacrifice the future at the same time. I agree that the patriots NEVER do that.

But make no mistake, the patriots could have used the $20M of 2014 cap money in 2015 or 2016. Belichick made a choice to go "all in". The strange thing s that the media thought that other teams were going all in during 2014 free agency and did make the same analysis of the patriots moves.

The total Revis cap hit, over two seasons, was $12 million - all of which he received in one season, 2014, but $5 million of which we're paying as a dead money hit this year (2015). He cost $7m against the cap last year. He cost a total of $12m against the cap (and was paid a total of $12m against the cap) over the years 2014-15.
http://www.patscap.com/revis.html

Between now and 5 years from now (his contract length,) it seems pretty likely. I hope you don't mean he'll get hurt because people are looking to hurt him, in the stomping-on-the-calf Suh way.

Revis' contract is really a two year contract if he's playing well at the end of year two. At that time, he'll renegotiate (and hold out if they won't). If he's not playing well or has been hurt, he'll ride the $10M annual salary until he either returns to form and renegotiates, or retires.

RobertWeathers said:
Screw Revis. We don't need him anymore. ;)

Interview w/ Rodney.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots

Yep, Revis is collecting more than TFB each year through '17 at this point. But he (Revis) gets cheaper in '18 and '19 :)

... also liked this from the same blog...

...Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said one thing that has stood out to him is that “if you’re in the edge-rusher market, whether you define them as defensive ends or outside linebackers, this draft is rich in that area.” As for the Patriots, they are already deep at that spot with Chandler Jones (2016), Rob Ninkovich (2016), Jabaal Sheard (2016), Michael Buchanan (2016), Zach Moore (2017) and Jake Bequette (2016), so for them it’s a case where demand doesn’t seem to align with the supply.

We might be able to upgrade here. But then again, there's "deep" and there's "deep."

Always fun...

Sure the Pats could have picked up the option, but I don't think either side would have been happy with that scenario. The Pats would have had to cut a lot more players to get under the cap. Revis would not have long term security and may not have gotten a big contract next year.

It's kind of funny seeing long term security applied to Revis' situation last year. He's been one of if not the highest paid player in the NFL for the time he's been in the league.

Revis' contract is really a two year contract if he's playing well at the end of year two. At that time, he'll renegotiate (and hold out if they won't). If he's not playing well or has been hurt, he'll ride the $10M annual salary until he either returns to form and renegotiates, or retires.

The $10M years are the non-guaranteed years, which I believe is what you're pointing to here. The guaranteed money is all up front; If he sucks in 2 years, he costs $6M in dead money to get rid of. Now to be fair, we just did almost did that, if you only look at this year's $5M. But as (I think correctly) I said before... we paid a total of $12M for the one year rental. He got his one-year-rental ring. Everybody's happy. Now it's about the cash.

And I couldn't think of a nicer team to have that ongoing cash drain.

If this is correct... and I defer to our capologists on this... it's $39M guaranteed, but I see a roster bonus tucked in there in year 3... So I dunno whether it's 2 years, 33M, if they cut him at the right time, or whether it's more. Either way he's in the big $ now. It might be the right call, it might be SOJ :)

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/darrelle-revis/

It's kind of funny seeing long term security applied to Revis' situation last year. He's been one of if not the highest paid player in the NFL for the time he's been in the league.

I wanted us to do a deal that kept him... with my usual "In Bill I Trust" disclaimer. I thought everything else that cleared out cap room was about keeping Revis. I was sad that it wasn't.

I'd rather he have 2 more SB rings with the Pats than say $10M more over the next 2 years :) Of course, I was also saying "do what it takes, if we can." I don't think we could in terms of what else we would have to do.

He has one ring. I don't think he thinks he's bringing a SB to the JEST. I think he's okay whatever level the team gets to, but he's getting his. Nobody ever said otherwise including him. And if some kind of magic happens and he does get a ring out of it... ::shrug::

Now that some time has passed I'm happy the Pats don't get hung up on a player like I do.

I wanted us to do a deal that kept him... with my usual "In Bill I Trust" disclaimer. I thought everything else that cleared out cap room was about keeping Revis. I was sad that it wasn't.

I'd rather he have 2 more SB rings with the Pats than say $10M more over the next 2 years :) Of course, I was also saying "do what it takes, if we can." I don't think we could in terms of what else we would have to do.

He has one ring. I don't think he thinks he's bringing a SB to the JEST. I think he's okay whatever level the team gets to, but he's getting his. Nobody ever said otherwise including him. And if some kind of magic happens and he does get a ring out of it... ::shrug::

Now that some time has passed I'm happy the Pats don't get hung up on a player like I do.

I don't agree with some of the players that were let go, like Seymour, Welker and Mankins, but there are others that I do agree with, like Samuel, Milloy and Bledsoe, even though I liked all of those players.

I never thought that Revis was coming back, especially once the season started and he and the Pats didn't work anything out. I think most Pats fans felt the same way but were hoping he'd come back. He's the best CB in the game.

His value was down last year after what people perceived as a bad year in Tampa. Revis wanted to maximize his value by coming to New England or NY and radically improving their defenses. His situation was very different last year. He might have gotten $12-14 million year, not the $16 million a year for the next three years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes