PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Revis Overall Performance and Rating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talib was great in a handful of games last year, pretty good in most of the rest, got DESTROYED by Steve Smith, and was out at crunch time.

Why are people talking like we had Deion back there?

Talib was great in a handful of games last year, pretty good in most of the rest, got DESTROYED by Steve Smith, and was out at crunch time.

Last night he was VERY good back there batting at least 2 balls down. Very physical

Kind of like a Madden rating.

Let's say 100 is the best possible rating, perhaps only achieved by Revis or Deion Sanders in their primes, 95 is all-pro, 90 is pro bowl, 80 is average starter, 70 is a borderline player, and anything below that is Darius Butler territory. I would say that Aqib Talib last year overall was roughly an 88-90. Where would you rate Revis's play this year? Has he lived up to your expectations? And do you think he is worthy of being the highest paid CB in the league?

You do realize Darius Butler has been pretty damn awesome the last two years, right? We misused him when he was here, he's a good man corner and a terrible zone one.

Last night he was VERY good back there batting at least 2 balls down. Very physical

until he gets injured which is inevitable. im surprised he has been healthy thus far. but fact remains, the guy cant play in two AFC championship games because he was a "little banged up"

anyways, I think after these next 3 weeks all the talk about revis will be dead because we will see the Revis of old against marshall/jeffrey, thomas/sanders and reggie wayne and he will shut them down.

really, the only elite receiver he went up against in man to man this year was AJ green and he took him out of the game. I hate to say hes a guy who plays "down" to his competition. but it does seem like hes a guy who gets up for the marquee names.

Revis and Sherman are the 2 all pro CBs. Peterson and Haden haven't been quite as good this year.
From my casual observation, Sherman hasn't been good this season. In fact, I don't believe he's a shutdown DB at all. Great player on his side of the field but once you get him away from his side of the field, he's easily exposed. It certainly gives rise to the theory that Sherman is the beneficiary of the play of Chancellor and Thomas.

From my casual observation, Sherman hasn't been good this season. In fact, I don't believe he's a shutdown DB at all. Great player on his side of the field but once you get him away from his side of the field, he's easily exposed. It certainly gives rise to the theory that Sherman is the beneficiary of the play of Chancellor and Thomas.

Sherman has had an off season no question. And he barley leaves his side of the field. Revis is better even with the up and downs of this year IMO

That's because he's a good CB. My point is that some people are talking like he was a dominant shutdown guy all last season, and he wasn't.

Revis is the best CB since Deion, and he's still playing at a high level. His ceiling is way higher than Talib's.

That's because he's a good CB. My point is that some people are talking like he was a dominant shutdown guy all last season, and he wasn't.

Revis is the best CB since Deion, and he's still playing at a high level. His ceiling is way higher than Talib's.

No question his ceiling is higher...but honestly after seeing him last night. He is playing better then revis right now. Partly because they play man almost all game. Doesn't mean he is better...just having a better string of games right now

smith had a 42 yard catch and then had 3 more rec for 20 yards so bottom line 4 rec for 62 yards is far from getting Destoyed by a WR who is in the top 5 right now. just because he is not with the team anymore does not mean we need to discredit a player who up until that point gave the pats the best CB they have had in over 5 years and played a year and a half for a total of just over 6 million. revis after Sundays game will have already made 6 million,

as for not being there in Crunch time wilfork Mayo Gronk all not there in crunch time does that make them any less of players no injuries are part of the game. I am happy they signed Revis am just saying no reason to knock Talib

smith had a 42 yard catch and then had 3 more rec for 20 yards so bottom line 4 rec for 62 yards is far from getting Destoyed by a WR who is in the top 5 right now. just because he is not with the team anymore does not mean we need to discredit a player who up until that point gave the pats the best CB they have had in over 5 years and played a year and a half for a total of just over 6 million. revis after Sundays game will have already made 6 million,

as for not being there in Crunch time wilfork Mayo Gronk all not there in crunch time does that make them any less of players no injuries are part of the game. I am happy they signed Revis am just saying no reason to knock Talib
I'm not knocking him. I wish he was still here, save for us getting Revis.

Wilfork, Mayo, and Gronk all suffered season-ending injuries. Talib got knocked out of a playoff game by a hard hit from Wes Welker.

Also, regarding the Carolina game, Smith got in his head, too. Didn't Talib take a really bad unsportsmanlike conduct penalty?

My point is, once again, that people are acting like Talib was great (Revis-like) all season long. He wasn't. He was still really good, though.

Kind of like a Madden rating.

Let's say 100 is the best possible rating, perhaps only achieved by Revis or Deion Sanders in their primes, 95 is all-pro, 90 is pro bowl, 80 is average starter, 70 is a borderline player, and anything below that is Darius Butler territory. I would say that Aqib Talib last year overall was roughly an 88-90. Where would you rate Revis's play this year? Has he lived up to your expectations? And do you think he is worthy of being the highest paid CB in the league?

Darius Butler has found a home as a nickel DB in the Indy defense.

Now if you want to call out Chris Canty...:)

I agree. He was batting down ball and not even coming close to touching the receiver. I actually don't think Revis has played to Talibs level this year.

I saw a ton of TB games last year. And honestly, I thought Revis had tanked. Much better this year but who knows. As we move into Nov and Dec, we will learn a lot about this team.

I give him a B+. Watching the games, he's blanketing WRs. The big test comes in these next 4 weeks as we play some great offenses. Hopefully our front can get some pressure

I agree. He was batting down ball and not even coming close to touching the receiver. I actually don't think Revis has played to Talibs level this year.

I saw a ton of TB games last year. And honestly, I thought Revis had tanked. Much better this year but who knows. As we move into Nov and Dec, we will learn a lot about this team.

He played a lot of zone last season in TB

Talib was burned a lot last season, Revis hasn't really been burned so far this season.

Don't really see why there is so much hype surrounding Talib on this board, a lot of people here act as if he was really special here.

- He didn't complete a full season and wasn't there when we needed him most
- He has had way better seasons in TB
- He looks better in Denver than he did in NE

It's probably because our corner play was so bad for many years until Talib came. I personally think he was over hyped, oh well.

It's not Richard's fault that the scheme he plays in has him stay on one side of the field. Comparing a CB in one scheme to a CB in another scheme won't be an apples to apples comparison but you can't knock a guy for not excelling in something that isn't part of his job description. Richard does his job as well or better than any CB in the league.

With the new rules even the elite (Revis, Sherman, Haden, Peterson) have given up more catches and yards than we're used to seeing.

The elite corners (Revis, Sherman, Peterson, Haden) have all been move vulnerable this year. This was expected by a lot of us, as we pointed out how the rules changes would impact physical corners.

Like a previous poster said, there's only so much you can see on tv, but from what I've seen I'd say he's around a 92-94. That's purely based on man coverage though. He's had 2 or 3 go through both hands on plays when he's had the reciever completely blanketed... If those turned out to be int's, the images of him running back the ball would be etched into our memories.

Granted, he's (literally) slipped a couple times and the zones open up here and there, but he is doing exactly what he's supposed to do. Belichick has always been a master at taking away the offense's best weapon in 11 on 11 - with Revis, now he can concentrate on doing that in 10 on 10.

I would take 2007-2009 Asante Samuel over 2014 Revis

I would take 2013 Talib over 2014 Revis

Revis is essentially what Leigh Bodden was for us. Serviceable, above average and merely making a few plays here and there but not instilling fear into opposing qbs the way the 94 Deion would. If I were Peyton Manning, I still have my full field to throw if 2014 Revis lines up against my weapons

Revis is essentially what Leigh Bodden was for us. Serviceable, above average and merely making a few plays here and there but not instilling fear into opposing qbs the way the 94 Deion would. If I were Peyton Manning, I still have my full field to throw if 2014 Revis lines up against my weapons

No one made QBs and WRs lose sleep Saturday night like how Deion did. Was that really the expectation for Revis coming here? That's quite the expectation lol

Deion is truly the GOAT and I think he will forever be #1 CB wise, especially with the new rules.

I wouldn't take 2013 Talib right now because we're only 7 games in, you're looking at almost a full season by Talib compared to Revis 7 games.

Last edited:

First half 2013 Talib or second half? Big difference.

And Samuel would get absolutely toasted if asked to hold up in a M2M setting. He isn't remotely Revis' peer, even the reduced version we've seen so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down