PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Revis or Maxwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
When healthy Dennard is a better outside CB than Maxwell.

We'll know in less than a month. I'm guessing we extend Revis. I always guess wrong.

:)

Some comments on the comments

1. This is a legitimate thread topic. We have talked ad nauseum about the possibility of Revis leaving for the money and what it might take to bring him back. Maxwell might just be the best FA CB available. So why wouldn't this be broached as a topic

2. Unfortunately bringing Devon back is going to cost closer to $9MM/yr than seven....and even that might be a bit low. We keep talking about how good McCourty is, and claiming he's the 2nd best FS in the league, yet a lot of people don't want to pay him as if he's one of the best.

3. Good S play is becoming more and more critical as the game evolves, and so its value grows.

4. One possible scenario that I haven't heard yet is as follows. Revis leaves for some $16+MM deal. Instead of moving on some other FA CB, we pay McCourty and move him back to CB. Then between Wilson, Harmon, Chung, and Ebner (and possibly Ryan) we find our safety rotation.

5. People have forgotten how good a CB McCourty was his rookie year. Well he was all pro good. People just want to remember that second year, which for a lot of reasons, some not his fault, didn't work out so well. At that time McCourty didn't have much experience playing press man and it showed. Now its 3 years later and McCourty's man technique has improved. Very often Patriticia successfully used McCourty in man coverage while having Harmon cover deep.

6. I really don't think that this is going to be a matter of "either or". There is room to sign both to reasonable market contracts. (Revis at 13-14MM, McCourty at 9-10) But if either wants to break the bank, it won't happen.

4. One possible scenario that I haven't heard yet is as follows. Revis leaves for some $16+MM deal. Instead of moving on some other FA CB, we pay McCourty and move him back to CB. Then between Wilson, Harmon, Chung, and Ebner (and possibly Ryan) we find our safety rotation.

5. People have forgotten how good a CB McCourty was his rookie year. Well he was all pro good. People just want to remember that second year, which for a lot of reasons, some not his fault, didn't work out so well. At that time McCourty didn't have much experience playing press man and it showed. Now its 3 years later and McCourty's man technique has improved. Very often Patriticia successfully used McCourty in man coverage while having Harmon cover deep.
I found it noteworthy that for the 3 corner package at the end of the game, coaches went with Butler instead of McCourty. It may be related to reps in practice but I thought they would find a way to get one of their best defensive players and leader of the secondary on the field for a crucial snap at the end of the game.

sign revis to a mega deal entering year 30 season and lose potentially DMC vereen ayers gost ridley etc etc

or

let revis go, sign maxwell who is a couple years younger to a reaosnable long term deal, be able to keep DMC ridley ayers gost and then go out and add some more depth along the O and D lines through free agency

What's Tragic about this pathetic garbage that you've spewed is that it obscures a genuinely interesting Idea.

01 ~ If you want to earn even an ounce of Respect, I suggest that you use Caps and Periods like an Adult.
02 ~ Cutting Revis loose and seeking an Alternative is a very reasonable Premise, and I salute you for that.
03 ~ But your Assumptions ~ everybody else must go ~ are incredibly presumptuous and foolish.

what about releasing vince ( would hurt, but belichick doesnt care ) and pick up the pot roast from denver?

I think that releasing Wilfork and/or Mayo is a very realistic scenario that might play out.

A lot depends on if they extend Revis or keep him at his contracted amount. I don't think they let him get away, but if they don't extend him then they have to create some serious cap space to prevent their young talents like DMC, Ghost and Vereen from moving on.

Wilfork is one of my favorite players and I think he's still top 5 at his position, but the devil horned salary cap always forces you to have to do things you don't want to do. Wilfork is 34 years old, weighs 330+ lbs and is making over $8 mill against the cap.

If it was the difference between losing mccourty, then I think you'd have to cut your 34 year old superstar to save your 27 year old superstar.. unless of course Wilfork agrees to restructure. ... Again....

And I hate saying that, Wilfork has been so huge in his contributions to this team, but he can't generate pressure on the QB anymore, he's really just a great run stuffer at this point in his career, but not quite like he use to be, teams have been running with success on us still. Forsett had over 100 on us and Lynch gashed us all game as well.

If you take emotions out of it, in a heavy passing league an elite free safety entering the prime of his career is more Important than a 34 year old run stuffing nose tackle

Forgive me Vince :(

Because " a few million" is a lot of money, and playing in the NFL is a job? But DMac really seems to be a perfect Patriots and the kind of player that BB wants to have. So I think we will give him a very good contract offer.

This. And I don't see how anyone could call mccourty a paper chaser, he's been playing at a pro bowl level for years on a rookie deal. He hadn't made his big payday yet that will set him and his family up for life. He also hasn't ever opened his mouth once and said something negative about the team, his contract etc.

I just hope Kraft and BB make it happen and provide him the big deal that he deserves.

The guy is the epitome of a New England Patriot.

Revis is someone you build a defense around. Maxwell is just a solid player

I don't think the OP was ever trying to suggest that you can just simply replace Revis with Maxwell.. He's talking about the possibility of losing Revis but using all the extra cap room to maintain multiple key guys.

I want Revis back and I think he'll be here under an extension or on his current deal, I don't think he walks... but the OP isn't some crazy person for entertaining and discussing the idea that if Revis did go, you could go get a maxwell or Cromartie and have a drop off in talent at the CB position, but you'd have the funds to retain every single one of your free agents and still have money left over to go after some pieces in free agency as well.

It's not a bizarre question or scenario and is worthy of discussion.

What makes your team better, 1 Darrel Revis or McCourty + Vereen + Ghost + Connolly + Ayers + Maxwell

what about releasing vince ( would hurt, but belichick doesnt care ) and pick up the pot roast from denver?
One major problem with this is that due to Wilfork's bonus, you have to make a decision on him before free agency opens, meaning there's definitely a chance that you end up cutting Wilfork but then not getting the guy that you wanted to replace him.

Maxwell who?

Why does everyone assume that Revis will want a cap-busting deal?

He accepted 12m for last year which made him the highest paid corner.

After he signed, other top corners signed for 14m.

I feel that he will be happy if he becomes higher paid than Richard Sherman + 1 million just so he can rub it in that guy's face. 14m is a 2m dollar raise, it's not cap-busting. Everything is speculation right now.

If Pats are in the 14m ballpark, I think Revis stays. If they lowball him, then I think he looks for a new team. Please Patriots, do NOT make the Jon Lester mistake!!

It's not a bizarre question or scenario and is worthy of discussion.

What makes your team better, 1 Darrel Revis or McCourty + Vereen + Ghost + Connolly + Ayers + Maxwell
I don't have a problem with weighing the pros and cons of paying Revis relative to another free agent cornerback, but when it's framed as though signing Revis means you lose all those other free agents but letting him go means you get them all, then it quickly becomes a discussion that's not really worth having because the entire idea of the discussion is extremely flawed.

The real question should be...Should we release Vince and Sign Knighton so we can keep Vereen and McCourty.

I feel like the threads premise is flawed. it operates that if we sign Revis that means we cant sign mccourty and Gostowski....which is flawed becausae we can sign all 3 and ill be fine under the cap. you lock up your stars before you worry about the "depth guys" who can be replaced.

it also operates under the premise that Revis wants a rediculous deal. All season we have heard he doesnt need to be the highest paid CB by a longshot. just be in the range. You pay him around sherman/peterson and I think he stays.

instead of worrying about how we are going to pay Revis 13-14 million. I would first look at paying an ageing nose tackle 8million, or Mayo(a guy who has already missed over a season between the last two years) 10million. and see if those are worth it. and I think BB will.

Maxwell is a great Number 2 corner but some team is going to overpay for him thinking he's a 1

1. This is a legitimate thread topic. We have talked ad nauseum about the possibility of Revis leaving for the money and what it might take to bring him back. Maxwell might just be the best FA CB available. So why wouldn't this be broached as a topic

2. Unfortunately bringing Devon back is going to cost closer to $9MM/yr than seven....and even that might be a bit low. We keep talking about how good McCourty is, and claiming he's the 2nd best FS in the league, yet a lot of people don't want to pay him as if he's one of the best.

3. Good S play is becoming more and more critical as the game evolves, and so its value grows.

6. I really don't think that this is going to be a matter of "either or". There is room to sign both to reasonable market contracts. (Revis at 13-14MM, McCourty at 9-10) But if either wants to break the bank, it won't happen.

I think the McCourty playing corner full time ship has sailed at least in NE. In that scenerio you present, if McCourty plays like we last saw him play as a CB full time, than you have effectively ruined 3 positions, although I guess you can always put him back at safety.

Let's not forget that, assuming Brady's deal is legit, he's going to be making far below market value for a top tier QB. The difference in that money should allow the Patriots to keep both Revis and McCourty at reasonable market deals (aka, assuming Rex does throw 20m a year at Revis), and still have plenty of maneuverability to re-sign the role players and add a few pieces. The original question would be a good one if it truly was an either/or scenario.

The real question should be...Should we release Vince and Sign Knighton so we can keep Vereen and McCourty.
You mean cut Wilfork with the hope of signing Knighton. The Pats would have to cut Wilfork before they have any idea if they're actually getting Knighton. Cut Wilfork, get outbid for Knighton, then what?

You mean cut Wilfork with the hope of signing Knighton. The Pats would have to cut Wilfork before they have any idea if they're actually getting Knighton. Cut Wilfork, get outbid for Knighton, then what?

Steve Martin may be available

You know what the nfl needs is something like the NBA for legacy type players that have been with a team their whole career can have their salary cap hit reduced.. you would have to have it very defined, like 10+ years on a team and maybe scale it for QBs...

It would prevent situations like this where you have to consider cutting a guy who's been on the team like 12 years for no other reason than trying to create cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down