Welcome to PatsFans.com

Reviewable Out of Bounds Play

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Halifax_Pats_Fan, Jul 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Halifax_Pats_Fan

Halifax_Pats_Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I am watching Cards-Eagles, 2008 NFC Championship Game and just saw a play that was challanged by Wisenhunt, a kickoff after a TD.

The ref came back saying that since the ball was called out of bounds on the field that it was a unreviewable play.

I didn't know that last year and I forgot about it till I watched this game tonight on NFLN.

What a **** rule.

I doubt this has changed this off-season has it?

What are your guys views on this?
  2. unoriginal

unoriginal Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -1

Out of bounds is a dead ball call and the default for those types of plays is that they are unreviewable, so as to discourage after-the-whistle play.

I believe this issue was discussed at the latest Competition Committee hearing but was not one of the 4 rule changes ratified.
  3. tobias funke

tobias funke Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Actually, it HAS been changed.

Mike Pereira was on NFLN the other day by satellite while Whisenhunt was in the studio, and they asked about this exact call.

Pereira said that this is now a reviewable play, and under the new rule, the Cardinals would have been given the ball.
  4. unoriginal

unoriginal Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -1

Must have been one of the ones postponed for voting on a later date. There were supposedly several of those.
  5. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Yeah, the rule got changed this offseason. It's now reviewable.
  6. jbb9s

jbb9s Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

so basically after the whistle, you might as well go ahead and slam your opponent because.....well because dead ball calls can be reviewed and it might turn out to be live action retroactively.

What they need to do is tell the refs explicitely "if you don't know what to call, don't blow the whistle and let them play on" so that this stuff doesn't happen.
  7. unoriginal

unoriginal Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -1

That was actually part of the recommendation. Referees are now being instructed to not blow the whistle if there is any doubt about the status of the ball so they can go back and determine possession with instant replay.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.