PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Revenge of the Hoodie: BB's Top Changes for 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedy hagler

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
First, let’s keep perspective. The team went 10-6 with numerous new players and a QB returning from major injury. In most cities not spoiled rotten by unbridled success, this would be a successful season. The secondary will develop into a top unit but the unit is in need of some leadership.

Changes upcoming:

~ The Star Wide Receiver Era is Over: While it has been fun to watch, and Moss has overall played well here, the 2007-2009 Patriots have hit the end of the rope with a passing game involving primarily 1-2 players. The 2001-2004 team’s hallmark was ball control, with short passing to a variety of receivers, and the hard running of Smith (2001 & 2003) culminating with the bruising 1600 yard season Dillon unloaded upon the NFL in 2004. Opposing teams had to play catch up against a seasoned and violent defense. In 2007, we became the target. If a team like the Giants expends hellacious effort in one game, any good offense can be derailed.

Solution: Welker (when he returns) Edeman and who? will form the basis of passing game in 2010. Key will be to add a tight end with good hands (that clanging sound from my TV was the ball bouncing off Ben Watson’s metallic hands).

~ Adios Adalius and Burgess; Hello Basic Training. Draft and develop old timey football linebackers (or as BB called guys like Troy Brown “football playing dudes”. A simple requirement: players must tackle. The Ravens game was an embarrassment of missed tackles by Mayo, Guyton and Meriwether.

~ Commit to the Run: In the biggest game of the year, our lead back was absolutely crushed trying to block Ray Lewis. And BB’s lack of faith in his ball security (how many turnovers can one team handle) had him on the bench for key stretches . We need a solid young back who can handle 60-70% of the load to develop rhythm with the OL . Mankins, Vollmer and the much maligned Light were solid, but the right side needs to be rebuilt.

In short, I want to a defense to be the face of the team. I see BB embracing his dark side for defensive demolition and getting the PAtriots right back in the hunt in 2010.

Re: Revenge of the Hoodie: BB 's Top Changes for 2010

It's hard to commit to the run when you are down 24-0 in the blink of an eye. Pats felt like they were behind the 8 ball and had to get points quickly.

Plus the Ravens strength was their run D. I'm sure the game plan was spread them out with their lack of depth in the secondary and a banged up Reed. The O-line and Brady didn't show up.

Scheme changes on both sides of the ball. The pass happy screen game is done. Rebuild the oline, keep Mankins and Vollmer and can the rest. The last two playoff game this line was destroyed. Draft a fullback/guard and a RB that doesn't dance. WW on one side JE on the other and Tate wide. You're correct find the next Ben Coates.

The read and react 2 gap scheme needs to be modified, more attacking less reading....let'em play it's football. This why AT was such a failure he's an attacker (ravens) not a read and reactor.

In short, try and become what the Jets currently are.

3 chances to get Shonne Greene in the draft. Ouch.

In short, try and become what the Jets currently are.

3 chances to get Shonne Greene in the draft. Ouch.

Shonn Greene? Really? The kid is slow.

He got a lot of yards against Cincy, and I know why. Because the Jets OL is one of the best in the league. They are really good. But Greene is slow. He's not a premier back. Put Maroney behind that line and he would do better.

Maybe if the team had more than 3 wr, (one of which is a rookie, and the other one didnt play) then people would stop talking about Moss's decline. Its amazing how much people really dont understand about football.

Oh, Moss iddnt catch 100 balls and score 50 td in a game....HE IS DONE (lets just ignore the fact that he draws double, tripple and some times more coverage...and the fact that teams KNOW the pats have no option at Wide out out side of moss and welker and can game plan against that all day long)...why do you think with 4th and 12 the go with a screen pass? Its because teams know they can take away any othe threat because that screen, and Moss is our only choice...Take moss away, and just hope Edleman cant dink and dunk into the 1st down...

I will take T.O. or Brandon Marshall here any day..I dont care about how they did in the past. Get one of them guys and this teams Offense changes drastically.

Moss
Welker
Eldleman
Marshall
Aikden

that would open things back up to the way they were.

I think next year is going to be even worse. Honestly, this defense is poor because of the linebacker play. Mayo is way overrated, as is the rest of the linebacking group.

This defense needs some anger and fight. Without Rodney and Brushci, it has not of it.

Shonn Greene? Really? The kid is slow.

He got a lot of yards against Cincy, and I know why. Because the Jets OL is one of the best in the league. They are really good. But Greene is slow. He's not a premier back. Put Maroney behind that line and he would do better.

Slow? You either don't watch many Jet games or don't have much of a clue.

He's plenty fast and runs over anyone in his way.

I think next year is going to be even worse. Honestly, this defense is poor because of the linebacker play. Mayo is way overrated, as is the rest of the linebacking group.

This defense needs some anger and fight. Without Rodney and Brushci, it has not of it.

Your statement is just stupid, Mayo was awesome last year. This year the guy comes back too soon from a serious knee injury and is given full responsibility of running a complex defense that even a seasoned vet would have trouble grasping. Wait until he is healthy and he gets the system to a point where he is just reacting instead of thinking and going, youll eat your words and Ill call you out when the time comes.

Last edited:

General Reissvus: But, the loss of Count Adalius!

Darth Hoodious: His departure was a nessesary loss, Soon I will have a new Defence, one far younger and more powerful.

That is right baby! Given the Patriots are turning over their defense, not a horrible year (despite the horrible game).

The NFL will feel the power of the dark side of the Belichick, who as a kid preferred to blast over sand castles instead of building them.

General Reissvus: But, the loss of Count Adalius!

Darth Hoodious: His departure was a nessesary loss, Soon I will have a new Defence, one far younger and more powerful.

I posted this in another thread, but I'll do it here as well...

1. Find a capable DE, either in the draft or through a trade or free agency, to replace Seymour. The guy doesn't have to be an all star, but he should be capable of sealing off that side of the D-Line against the run and also getting some push toward the quarterback to help the OLB coming in behind him. God knows that Jarvis Green is not capable of either on a regular basis.

2. Look for a RG in the draft.

3. Wrap up both Logan Mankins and Vince Wilfork.

4. Try to make a power play for a Carlos Dunlap type of player in the draft that can take over the OLB/Willie Mac "elephant" role in the defense and also be able to generate a decent pass rush. The good news is that, due to a boneheaded DUI, Dunlap just may fall out of the first round. On top of that, find out what you have in McKenzie or scour the streets in free agency or in the draft to find an upgrade over Guyton at the ILB position.

5. Whether it be through the draft, trade, or free agency (FOR THE LOVE OF GOD) pick up a capable WR3 that can beat single coverage and, best case scenario, demand double coverage sometimes (ala Donte Stallworth) to allow some pressure to be taken off of Moss and Welker.

6. Look for some RT depth in the draft unless Light remains with the team next season. If that's the case, it could make things easier for us for the 2010 season. Light can stay at LT, Vollmer can remain at RT, and we could move Kaczur in and play him at RG, where he would probably be more effective.

Plus, I would really love to see a change to a 1-Gap style of 3-4 defense. Not only do I think that it would do our LB's a world of good to only have a single gap responsibility, but I also find that 1-Gap LB's are more readily available through both the draft and free agency. Well, more readily available than 2-Gap players anyway.

First, let’s keep perspective. The team went 10-6 with numerous new players and a QB returning from major injury. In most cities not spoiled rotten by unbridled success, this would be a successful season. The secondary will develop into a top unit but the unit is in need of some leadership.

Changes upcoming:

~ The Star Wide Receiver Era is Over: While it has been fun to watch, and Moss has overall played well here, the 2007-2009 Patriots have hit the end of the rope with a passing game involving primarily 1-2 players. The 2001-2004 team’s hallmark was ball control, with short passing to a variety of receivers, and the hard running of Smith (2001 & 2003) culminating with the bruising 1600 yard season Dillon unloaded upon the NFL in 2004. Opposing teams had to play catch up against a seasoned and violent defense. In 2007, we became the target. If a team like the Giants expends hellacious effort in one game, any good offense can be derailed.

Solution: Welker (when he returns) Edeman and who? will form the basis of passing game in 2010. Key will be to add a tight end with good hands (that clanging sound from my TV was the ball bouncing off Ben Watson’s metallic hands).

~ Adios Adalius and Burgess; Hello Basic Training. Draft and develop old timey football linebackers (or as BB called guys like Troy Brown “football playing dudes”. A simple requirement: players must tackle. The Ravens game was an embarrassment of missed tackles by Mayo, Guyton and Meriwether.

~ Commit to the Run: In the biggest game of the year, our lead back was absolutely crushed trying to block Ray Lewis. And BB’s lack of faith in his ball security (how many turnovers can one team handle) had him on the bench for key stretches . We need a solid young back who can handle 60-70% of the load to develop rhythm with the OL . Mankins, Vollmer and the much maligned Light were solid, but the right side needs to be rebuilt.

In short, I want to a defense to be the face of the team. I see BB embracing his dark side for defensive demolition and getting the PAtriots right back in the hunt in 2010.

We stopped running when we got Moss.

I posted this in another thread, but I'll do it here as well...

1. Find a capable DE, either in the draft or through a trade or free agency, to replace Seymour. The guy doesn't have to be an all star, but he should be capable of sealing off that side of the D-Line against the run and also getting some push toward the quarterback to help the OLB coming in behind him. God knows that Jarvis Green is not capable of either on a regular basis.

2. Look for a RG in the draft.

3. Wrap up both Logan Mankins and Vince Wilfork.

4. Try to make a power play for a Carlos Dunlap type of player in the draft that can take over the OLB/Willie Mac "elephant" role in the defense and also be able to generate a decent pass rush. The good news is that, due to a boneheaded DUI, Dunlap just may fall out of the first round. On top of that, find out what you have in McKenzie or scour the streets in free agency or in the draft to find an upgrade over Guyton at the ILB position.

5. Whether it be through the draft, trade, or free agency (FOR THE LOVE OF GOD) pick up a capable WR3 that can beat single coverage and, best case scenario, demand double coverage sometimes (ala Donte Stallworth) to allow some pressure to be taken off of Moss and Welker.

6. Look for some RT depth in the draft unless Light remains with the team next season. If that's the case, it could make things easier for us for the 2010 season. Light can stay at LT, Vollmer can remain at RT, and we could move Kaczur in and play him at RG, where he would probably be more effective.

Plus, I would really love to see a change to a 1-Gap style of 3-4 defense. Not only do I think that it would do our LB's a world of good to only have a single gap responsibility, but I also find that 1-Gap LB's are more readily available through both the draft and free agency. Well, more readily available than 2-Gap players anyway.

I like the sound of this, don't know if BB will go single gap tho.

Slow? You either don't watch many Jet games or don't have much of a clue.

He's plenty fast and runs over anyone in his way.

No, Shonne Greene is not a great RB. He's Timmy Smith 2.0. Line creates big holes, he runs through them. That's the offensive scheme and blocking for the Jets.

I like the sound of this, don't know if BB will go single gap tho.

BB's best quality is the ability to adapt. If he is still having a hard time finding linebackers to fit the 2-Gap then I don't see why he wouldn't move to a 1-Gap system. However, if he can find the thumper linebackers like the Ted Johnson's and the Tedy Bruschi's, I don't see why he would want to move to the 1-Gap. Those types of players, while hard to find, if found make the 2-Gap 3-4 the ultimate defense.

Hi all,

Ravens fan here with a question about BB for you. Can't post a new thread due to low post count, so I found a BB thread and was hoping to get some answers.

You are probably aware that Harbaugh is a big BB fan. This week, there are some rumors that our LT, Gaither, has a bad ankle, but some say it's just gamesmanship on Harbaugh's part. I understand this is something BB does from time to time, talk up nonexistent injuries?

I have no problem with it - I think it's kind of funny and perfectly legit as a tactic, but I don't quite understand the theory. Have you seen BB do this, did it work, and if so, what makes it work?

Thanks!

BB's best quality is the ability to adapt. If he is still having a hard time finding linebackers to fit the 2-Gap then I don't see why he wouldn't move to a 1-Gap system. However, if he can find the thumper linebackers like the Ted Johnson's and the Tedy Bruschi's, I don't see why he would want to move to the 1-Gap. Those types of players, while hard to find, if found make the 2-Gap 3-4 the ultimate defense.

Sadly, if we had been willing to go to a 1 gap 3-4 we could have probably kept Dom Capers by promoting him to DC this past year.

Alabama had the dominant defense in college football this year running essential our 2 gap scheme. Is it just the lack of the right personnel that has made our defense so much less effective than previously, or has the evolution of the NFL with the emphasis on the passing game and ace sharpshooters like Manning, Brady, Brees and Rivers made the concepts of gap control and read-and-react obsolete today? Or both?

Changes upcoming:

BB's biggest strength is his ability to game plan for the next opponent, take away their #1 strength and let them try to guess what version of offense they'll see that day. Therefore, once Welker is back you have Welker and Edleman for the short game, and or Moss and a 4th WR (Maybe Tate, maybe a FA, less likely a drafted WR) so we can hit them deep or underneath or alternate.
Secondly we need a better running game and a more consistent and bruising RB in the style of Corey Dillion 2004 and maybe either Fred Taylor (if he still has enough gas) or another quicker style RB for change of pace + Faulk.
I agree with adding a good solid TE with good hands.

With these three things (One WR, one RB, one TE) our offense can feature the pass, the run or a balanced attack- similar to 2004 but better. It would also be smart to find another solid guard for the O-line, as Neal is probably done and we either need to replace him or the player we pull from our depth to replace him. I don't see Light as being solid, but solid at times. I'd like to see Vollmer replace him, but I have a feeling they'll leave Light at LT and use Vollmer at RT. Can we just get another Vollmer, please?

My idea for the D? Get back to solid fundamentals (learn to tackle, maybe?) to start. We need a new scheme, or at least a severe rethinking of the old one. we need a pass rush, but aside from adhering to the fundementals we need one thing more than anything- we need to go from "bend don't break" to "Break you once and break you again, just because I can"- we need ATTITUDE and nastiness on D. We have some pieces in place but we need more. Hopefully with a new DC, they will help instill fear back into our opponents. I want Rodney to analyse our game from that week and say "Damn!! I wish I could still hit like that"

Last edited:

Playing devil advocate
- Do not sign brady and then next franchise him for 17 million
- 2012 if lockout live with a new backup
- 2013 open with a New young qb and brady is now 36 and gone .
--With dolphins,chargers,dolphins,denver,steelers in the market for a NT.all there guys are old and injured get max value by trading him and franchising him.

build and with the new cba saved alot of money for kraft and have a tonne of picks.

Willy ,Bru ,Ty law,seymour,vince and Vrabel did not become them till they had 5-6 yrs experience so by 2012-13 you have the next good defence and a young qb

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey