Welcome to PatsFans.com

Revealed: millions spent by lobby firms fighting Obama health reforms

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by weswelker#83, Oct 1, 2009.

1. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Re: Six lobbyists for every member of Congress as healthcare industry heaps cash on p

Glad to see it coming out even if it was in the UK, the lobbyist and big med insurance folks fed the hysteria during the town halls.. they helped with the 9/12 stuff, as much as many are discriminating.. there are a whole bunch of lemmings who follow their implicit orders...
  3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +317 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

I'll tell ya what - this is not all that's going on.

I work for a physician who specializes in Sports and Rehab medicine. Five times in the last 3 weeks I've received the fax reprinted on the bottom of this post.

You can't quite see it on the attachment, but each time we receive it my doctor's name is on it as one of the "concerned physicians" who are "advising" the GOP.

No one ever ASKED him if he wanted his name attached to this. No one even asked if he supported their cause or not - they just keep sending it around to physician's offices, hospitals, clinics, etc. etc. God only knows where it's going or who is being led to believe that he's involved in this.

Truth is, my doc is all FOR health care reform. And he's quite happy with Obama's proposal(s) as they currently exist.

They did call the office twice in between sendings - and twice I informed them, in no uncertain terms, that we did NOT appreciate their unauthorized use of our name. It hasn't stopped them, however, they're still sending us the fax. I assume they're still sending the fax to everyone else, too - still using my doc's name without permission. In fact, using it after being expressly told not to.

There was an article about it in Slate and Huffington Post a few weeks ago - right after we got the first batch of faxes and phone calls. Doesn't seem to do any good, tho, I got another one yesterday.

The GOP's fake doctor council. - By Timothy Noah - Slate Magazine

Don't ever let anyone tell you that the advertising tactics being used by The Right, or The Conservatives, or The Moral Majority, or The Tea Baggers or The GOP or whatever they are calling themselves nowdays are above-board and honest.

I can attest to the fact that they're anything but.

The GOP's fake doctor council. - By Timothy Noah - Slate Magazine

Attached Files:

4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Prepare for your comments to be minimized... this is really great information.. have contended this all along, the folks who have the most to loose.. the ins companies are spending big bucks to stop this.
  5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +317 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

Interesting little list of exactly what congressman received what from drug companies and/or health insurers.

In the first six months of the year, health care interests donated $19.7 million to all federal lawmakers. More than 40% — $8.1 million — went to the campaign and political action committees of lawmakers on the five House and Senate committees that are working on health care.

Craig Holman, of the watchdog group Public Citizen, said the giving allows health care lobbyists "to get one-on-one time with officeholders" as lawmakers craft legislation.

Chuck Grassley saw his health care industry donations soar this year — from $53,200 during the first three months of the year to $125,800 during the second quarter. So far this year, he is the top GOP recipient of health care industry donations in the Senate.

You can find the entire comprehensive list in the link below.

Health care lobbyists boost key players in debate - USATODAY.com
  6. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +254 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

And ??? If anyone thinks this doesn't happen on both sides for all issues you are being silly. Just like obama is buying (with promises and threats) the support of the drug companies and others.
  7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Please tell me the name of the group that is funding campaigs with millions to create a public option or single payer?

what lobby is that again?

I'd gladly throw them some $$$

I'll wait for your answer.
  8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +317 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

Ya know what? I don't care if the Dems are throwing money at a campaign to support health care reform - I don't send the Dems my insurance premiums every month. I don't even care if the pharms are getting in bed with health care reform, or if a doctor's association is getting in bed with health care reform, or if any other non-premium collecting son of a biatch is getting in bed with them - so long as I am not the one whose money they are using.

I DO care that my insurance premiums keep going up, my co-pays keep going up, my deductibles keep going up and the people who raise all those things are using MY dollars to buy lobbyists and politicians who will assure them that they will be allowed to continue raising MY expenses to them while they, in turn, are cutting benefits to ME.

Anyone with an ounce of sense could figure that one out.
  9. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

good to see ya back, Wes.
  10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +254 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

Did you read what I said ? Evidently not as I didn't say that.
  11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +254 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

Right, much better to borrow a trillion dollars and pay interest on that. That's a GREAT plan.

We all want to control costs without slowing down better medical care but blaming insurance companies isn't the way to do it.
  12. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +97 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

National Journal Online -- Under The Influence

Before this buy, the coalition had already spent $7 million this year on advertising, according to the coalition's spokeswoman, Jacki Schechner.

The coalition consists of some of the top-spending groups involved in the health care debate, like the AFL-CIO, the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, the SEIU and the American Academy of Family Physicians.
  13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Here is what you wrote...in a discussion about lobbyists...

"And ??? If anyone thinks this doesn't happen on both sides for all issues you are being silly."

I'm asking you to point out the lobby WE as the voting public have on our side.

unless I'm missing what you meant boy "It happens on both sides"

which is entirely possible.
  14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

getting close, but I was wondering about lobbyists giving money to CAMPAIGNS of politicians. You seem to be pointing out advertisments etc. Which is great for pointing out propoganda, burt not so good at buying an elected official's vote.

Its hard for Max baucus to NOT listen to his 3 million in contributions. Its easy for MAx Baucus to not see the ads you refer to.

ya hear me?
  15. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +97 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

I was just supplying what you had requested. Do you really need to ask if those groups donate in large amounts to Senators?

I'm out of here- got some things to do. This just happened to catch my eye.
  16. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +254 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

By "it happens on both sides" I meant money, promises,threats, bribes, all the kinds of things that unduly influence people.

Why do you think doctors and drug companies are falling in line ? Promises and threats from the obamans.
  17. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Thank you sir,I hope you are doing well.

[​IMG]
  18. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Well, no. I think most doctors are in favor of a public option, because dealing with insurance companies is fukcing MADNESS. The billing alone will make your head spin.

Its very important to understand the cycle of a senator or congressman, and where their heads are each and every day. They wake up every morning and have to raise money to get re-elected. I think its something like 10gs a day....it might be more, but still.

When a President is elected by a mandate, and one that includes healthcare. When the congress has a 60 vote majority in the senate. They have the power of the people in their hands.

When a bill comes out of conference, NOT containing a public option, and the head of the committee (a democrat) has gotten over 3 MILLION for his campaign from that special interest....who is on his mind when legistlating?

All the will farrell ads in the world couldn't make a difference ... these people are concerned about the NEXT ELECTION....

always.

so what I'm asking is if we, as citizens, can contribute to a fund that will pay senators kickbacks for voting the way the PEOPLE want?

If everyone gave a Dollar, that would be a fund of over $300,000,000...thats 3 million for EACH senator. MORE THAN enough to buy some TV ads, and would eliminate the corporate buy-in to these politicians.
  19. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +254 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

No kickbacks but that's what the $1T is, a fund to buy votes that promises everything and, yet, seemingly no-one has to pay for.
  20. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

that is classic...

saved.