PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

REVAMPING the New England Patriots for 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Step 1. Fix the overmatched offensive line that performs poorly in the playoffs.

Draft an Offensive Tackle - 1st to 2nd round priority. It's time for Matt Light to move on. We'll take the comp pick, thanks for what you've given us but you are not the strong link that we need to forge in a Superbowl winning team. We need an athletic, quick guy, with a long wingspan who can contain and flummox elite passrushers and most importantly give Brady time to throw.

Draft an Interior lineman. - 3rd to 4th round priority. OG or OC doesn't matter, but that group needs bolstering. A versatile guy who can play either position would be nice. Let's impose our will on the defense and run the ball in the playoffs too. We need some push from our interior to pound the ball effectively with BJGE.

Step 2. Fix the pass rush.

Draft a Defensive End - 1st to 2nd round priority. Give us a monster who can demand double teams and you will see the effectiveness of our linebackers increase proportionately. Warren and Warren are adequate. They are not dominant. Wilfork needs some help so let's give him some.

Draft an OLB - 1st to 2nd round priority. He needs to be able to play in our system, pick up the defense quickly, and CAN get after the QB. It's time we get a freak that must demand attention and can get in the QB's grill. We're looking for a Clay Matthews type.

Step 3. Fortify the secondary.

Draft a Free Safety - 1st to 2nd round priority. We need a true center fielder who can stay with receivers, bat down passes and come up with interceptions. A ballhawk. Not a guy who takes bad angles and takes his own corners out of the play. *cough* Meriweather.

Draft a Cornerback - 3rd round or later priority. Say what? But we have McCourty and Bodden is coming back. So what. You are only as strong as your weakest link. Once Qbs figure out it is much easier not to throw at DMac they will start picking on the Wilhites and the Butlers. Anticipate the need ahead of time and get someone who can play slot and actually stay with some wide receivers instead of giving up 15 yard cushions and 1st downs on a regular basis.

Step 4. Add team speed to the offense.

Draft a RB - 3rd round or later priority. With BJGE we've got thunder but we have no lightning. We lack the quick hitting lightning fast guy who can get to the edge and gain chunks of yardage fast. A complimentary speed guy to spell BJGE would be ideal. This also makes the offense more versatile. 3rd and 4 isn't a guaranteed empty backfield pass anymore if you've got a guy who can take it the distance on any given touch. This is why I would have liked to draft Best. He's simply an electric runner that can be a threat at any time. Let's look for someone like that. They can be found in mid rounds of the draft. Just look at Jamaal Charles. In any case this guy must be able to do blitz pickup or he won't see the field. So let's look for that as well.

Draft a WR - 3rd round or later priority. We need a field stretcher. Tate doesn't look like he gets it yet as a WR. Branch was never a speedster in the first place. Ah what a Jacoby Ford or Mike Wallace would add to this offense. Put it simply, the ability to convert on 3rd and 18. You watched the Steelers game, you know the play I'm talking about. Speed kills. We've got the route runners already but sometimes they just can't get open. We need someone with quick release skills who can get separation and get deep downfield.

So obviously we cannot meet ALL of these needs in the same draft. But as long as we are aware of those needs, and what guys fit the mold we are looking for, we can get a picture of how the draft could unfold, and how this team can be strengthened to be a true championship contender.

Some of these needs I expect to be filled through free agency, so just substitute the word Draft for Sign in that case. Because face it, even if we hit on most of our picks and bring in top end talent in 2011, adding more veteran presence to the roster could be really beneficial.

It's going to be a LOOONG offseason.

Last edited:
Branch was wide open on 4th and 13 -- Brady just missed him.

8 needs, 6 picks in the first top 100 plus free agency. There's plenty of ammunition to secure the 8 upgrades you seek.

Personally, I would like to see expanded rosters and for us to pick up a fullback, pick up a 3rd QB, and carry an additional receiver.

Step 1. Fix the overmatched offensive line that performs poorly in the playoffs.

Draft an Offensive Tackle - 1st to 2nd round priority. It's time for Matt Light to move on. We'll take the comp pick, thanks for what you've given us but you are not the strong link that we need to forge in a Superbowl winning team. We need an athletic, quick guy, with a long wingspan who can contain and flummox elite passrushers and most importantly give Brady time to throw.

Draft an Interior lineman. - 3rd to 4th round priority. OG or OC doesn't matter, but that group needs bolstering. A versatile guy who can play either position would be nice. Let's impose our will on the defense and run the ball in the playoffs too. We need some push from our interior to pound the ball effectively with BJGE.

Draft a Defensive End - 1st to 2nd round priority. Give us a monster who can demand double teams and you will see the effectiveness of our linebackers increase proportionately. Warren and Warren are adequate. They are not dominant. Wilfork needs some help so let's give him some.

Draft an OLB - 1st to 2nd round priority. He needs to be able to play in our system, pick up the defense quickly, and CAN get after the QB. It's time we get a freak that must demand attention and can get in the QB's grill. We're looking for a Clay Matthews type.

Draft a Free Safety - 1st to 2nd round priority. We need a true center fielder who can stay with receivers, bat down passes and come up with interceptions. A ballhawk. Not a guy who takes bad angles and takes his own corners out of the play. *cough* Meriweather.

Draft a Cornerback - 3rd round or later priority. Say what? But we have McCourty and Bodden is coming back. So what. You are only as strong as your weakest link. Once Qbs figure out it is much easier not to throw at DMac they will start picking on the Wilhites and the Butlers. Anticipate the need ahead of time and get someone who can play slot and actually stay with some wide receivers instead of giving up 15 yard cushions and 1st downs on a regular basis.

Draft a RB - 3rd round or later priority. With BJGE we've got thunder but we have no lightning. We lack the quick hitting lightning fast guy who can get to the edge and gain chunks of yardage fast. A complimentary speed guy to spell BJGE would be ideal. This also makes the offense more versatile. 3rd and 4 isn't a guaranteed empty backfield pass anymore if you've got a guy who can take it the distance on any given touch. This is why I would have liked to draft Best. He's simply an electric runner that can be a threat at any time. Let's look for someone like that. They can be found in mid rounds of the draft. Just look at Jamaal Charles. In any case this guy must be able to do blitz pickup or he won't see the field. So let's look for that as well.

Draft a WR - 3rd round or later priority. We need a field stretcher. Tate doesn't look like he gets it yet as a WR. Branch was never a speedster in the first place. Ah what a Jacoby Ford or Mike Wallace would add to this offense. Put it simply, the ability to convert on 3rd and 18. You watched the Steelers game, you know the play I'm talking about. Speed kills. We've got the route runners already but sometimes they just can't get open. We need someone with quick release skills who can get separation and get deep downfield.

So obviously we cannot meet ALL of these needs in the same draft. But as long as we are aware of those needs, and what guys fit the mold we are looking for, we can get a picture of how the draft could unfold, and how this team can be strengthened to be a true championship contender.

Some of these needs I expect to be filled through free agency, so just substitute the word Draft for Sign in that case. Because face it, even if we hit on most of our picks and bring in top end talent in 2011, adding more veteran presence to the roster could be really beneficial.

good post VJC...the lack of pass rush and lack of quality LB play in the passing game are killing this team. We need to improve this before the start of next year or the results will be the same.

A FS is not a first-to-second round priority. That's just absurd.

Im hanging on step 2 & 4 to be fixed thru the draft, most important going into 2011. If we fixed at least step 2 last year, we wouldn't be having this thread!

Last edited:
Most expect Meriweather to be gone before the 2012 season. Our current two starters were chosen before the 35th pick. Each took more than a season to learn the position. Our #3, who may or not be back in 2012 took more than a season.

So, the way to fill this 2012 need is to draft a safety in 2011. The first or second round may or may not be the right spot. It depends on the depth of the draft at safety. The top 5 safeties were gone by the end of the second in both 2009 and 2010.

Was choosing pro-bowler Meriweather a reasonable choice at the bottom of 1st. Compared to what others got, it was a great pick. Was Chung a reasonable value pick. It certainly seems so.

So, the way to fill this 2012 need is to draft a safety in 2011. The first or second round may or may not be the right spot. It depends on the depth of the draft at safety.

Iowa's Tyler Sash is a legitimate Pats prospect. Have seen him projected for round three -- I've got him as a second-rounder. Way too early to accurately project ANY prospects. Fits the Pats MO and may provide what's missing from the Safety position.

Vollmer is the prototypical LT and will be swung over to that side if Light walks. We are really in the market for a RT.

Good analysis.

i disagree. i think we definitely need a FS. chung and merriweather are both SS, we need a ball hawk back there. i think Safety's a high priority. not the highest, but if we can get a stud then most certainly take him

More specifically, Meriweather is a FS who thinks he's a SS and plays accordingly...

More specifically, Meriweather is a FS who thinks he's a SS and plays accordingly...

Gah!! Ain't it the truth...

If I were running it, I'd roll Brandon Meriweather now: With all his talent and with consecutive Pro Bowl selections on his resume, I would love to see what we could get for him. Considering that Tebucky Jones pulled in the equivalent of a 3rd, 5th, and 7th, if memory serves, Stomper should easily be good for consecutive 2nd Rounders and change. Dallas at #41 seems like a likely match.

And, then, I'd take a long, carefull look at none other than Rahim Moore.

His stock having slid, this year, the price is now right.

Gah!! Ain't it the truth...

If I were running it, I'd roll Brandon Meriweather now: With all his talent and with consecutive Pro Bowl selections on his resume, I would love to see what we could get for him. Considering that Tebucky Jones pulled in the equivalent of a 3rd, 5th, and 7th, if memory serves, Stomper should easily be good for consecutive 2nd Rounders and change. Dallas at #41 seems like a likely match.

And, then, I'd take a long, carefull look at none other than Rahim Moore.

His stock having slid, this year, the price is now right.

I'm very much on board with this. Except I don't think we can get that much for BM considering he's a UFA after 1 year. I'd take a 2012 2nd rounder. Or perhaps use him as ammo to move up from 17 if necessary.

Iowa's Tyler Sash is a legitimate Pats prospect. Have seen him projected for round three -- I've got him as a second-rounder. Way too early to accurately project ANY prospects. Fits the Pats MO and may provide what's missing from the Safety position.

Can you tell me more about him.. everyone has him listed as FS do you think he can play and contribute next to Chung? Being from Iowa (Ferentz) I'm sure helps out a ton.

I'm very much on board with this. Except I don't think we can get that much for BM considering he's a UFA after 1 year. I'd take a 2012 2nd rounder. Or perhaps use him as ammo to move up from 17 if necessary.

I agree... I can def see Dallas at #40 being a legitimate option and with Rob Ryan down there BM would be a much better fit. I could also see us using him in a trade +#17 to move up with Dallas as well at #9.. good insight.

i disagree. i think we definitely need a FS. chung and merriweather are both SS, we need a ball hawk back there. i think Safety's a high priority. not the highest, but if we can get a stud then most certainly take him

Semantics. Meriweather is the de facto FS on this team.

Great ideas, though. It definitely makes sense to trade a known quantity on the defense and instead rely on a guy who shouldn't be starting and/or a rookie, especially with all of the other areas that need to be addressed.

Last edited:
Excellent post. Hard to take exception with most of your logic.

Step 1 - Fix offensive line
A. Offensive Tackle - Agree with priority but would still resign Matt Light if numbers right. Draftee could move inside for part of year.
B. Interior lineman. - Agree with need and priority. Too bad Moffit performed so well at Senior Bowl. Thought he would be perfect but might have to use #33 to get him now.

Step 2 - Fix the pass rush.
A. Defensive End - Agree with need and priority.
B. OLB - 1st to 2nd round priority. I agree but don’t see BB using 1st or 2nd round pick unless Ayers dropped to late 2nd round.

Step 3 - Fortify the secondary.
A. Free Safety - 1st to 2nd round priority. Disagree with priority, I think it is 3rd round or later, but I also want to get “Big Bang Clock” Meriweather out of here!
B. Cornerback - Agree, Wilhite and Butler just can’t cut it.

Step 4 - Add offensive team speed.
A. RB - 3rd round or later priority. We lack a bigger back that can get to the edge and gain chunks of yardage.
B. WR - 3rd round or later priority. I think BB will wait on Tate and Price at least for next year

I agree we cannot meet ALL of these needs in the same draft but hopefully we can add some quality Free Agents to fill remaining holes.

FFS, Wilhite is perfectly fine as a nickel DB. And unlike most, I'm not yet willing to throw in the towel on Butler.

As a totally off-the-wall suggestion WRT Meriweather/FS/deep centerfielder, how about taking Jimmy Smith at #33?

He's 6'2"/205 and projected to run a 4.49/40. Hypothetically, we want that proverbial "3rd good corner" anyway. Probably most folks think of that to mean two great outside guys plus a very good nickel/slot guy. But, what if that 3rd good corner was doubling as the deep centerfield free safety? I mean, I don't see why Smith couldn't play deep centerfield. He might actually see the field more than a nickel-back/slot guy. He should be a bit better at swapping coverages mid-play with either of the corners. Bodden is already entering his ninth season. As has been suggested here in another thread, he might extend his career by switching to FS in a couple years.

This is not to say that we wouldn't necessarily also be able to use an upgrade at nickel/slot CB since we seemed to have Chung covering that role in 2010 in preference to Butler/Wilhite even with Meriweather on the field. Maybe Arrington becomes that guy. Maybe we need yet another, IDK.

On the safety side of things, we have guys who can cover the short/intermediate zones fairly well and the run very well in Chung, Sanders and Page, though maybe Page and, in 2012, Sanders both move on. In any case, we keep 2-3 other guys plus Chung and maybe we end up with 4-5 CBs and 3-4 safeties with Smith bridging the two groups (ala Hernandez wrt TE/WR), upgrading the overall coverage quality and tactical possibilities, and even potentially saving a roster spot to use elsewhere.

As a totally off-the-wall suggestion WRT Meriweather/FS/deep centerfielder, how about taking Jimmy Smith at #33?

He's 6'2"/205 and projected to run a 4.49/40. Hypothetically, we want that proverbial "3rd good corner" anyway. Probably most folks think of that to mean two great outside guys plus a very good nickel/slot guy. But, what if that 3rd good corner was doubling as the deep centerfield free safety? I mean, I don't see why Smith couldn't play deep centerfield. He might actually see the field more than a nickel-back/slot guy. He should be a bit better at swapping coverages mid-play with either of the corners. Bodden is already entering his ninth season. As has been suggested here in another thread, he might extend his career by switching to FS in a couple years.

This is not to say that we wouldn't necessarily also be able to use an upgrade at nickel/slot CB since we seemed to have Chung covering that role in 2010 in preference to Butler/Wilhite even with Meriweather on the field. Maybe Arrington becomes that guy. Maybe we need yet another, IDK.

On the safety side of things, we have guys who can cover the short/intermediate zones fairly well and the run very well in Chung, Sanders and Page, though maybe Page and, in 2012, Sanders both move on. In any case, we keep 2-3 other guys plus Chung and maybe we end up with 4-5 CBs and 3-4 safeties with Smith bridging the two groups (ala Hernandez wrt TE/WR), upgrading the overall coverage quality and tactical possibilities, and even potentially saving a roster spot to use elsewhere.
I'm all for replacing the Big Bang Clock but what makes you think Smith would make a good safety(I really have no info on any of these guys)? Lets say his coverage skills are great. How about the angles he takes? This is BBC's greatest weakness IMO. How is his tackling? You can't put someone who can't tackle out there as the last line of defense. You can get away with it somewhat as a CB but not as a safety. Also instincts and play diagnosing factor in as well.

I'm all for replacing the Big Bang Clock but what makes you think Smith would make a good safety(I really have no info on any of these guys)? Lets say his coverage skills are great. How about the angles he takes? This is BBC's greatest weakness IMO. How is his tackling? You can't put someone who can't tackle out there as the last line of defense. You can get away with it somewhat as a CB but not as a safety. Also instincts and play diagnosing factor in as well.

All good questions and I confess that haven't seen him play much. What little I have, he seemed to be reading fine, making plays and not screwing up. He was second on his team in tackles last season and 5th as a junior, so I wouldn't think he's horrid. I'd envision him being under the guidance of Bodden, who seems very good at diagnosing and who plays the run and tackles very well. It might even be a situation where Bodden move directly to FS and Smith takes over at RCB for Bodden, or maybe swapping back and forth (which could help to confuse offenses).

Either way, the end result (ideally) is that we'd now have two relatively tall, talented guys deep and along the sideline in addition to McCourty, all of whom (hypothetically) can come up and make a tackle.

Like I said originally, just an off the wall suggestion, toying with possibilities. I'm not emotionally invested, so I'm not going to be giving it a hard sell.

PS - I like the nickname for Meriweather. At first, I read it as "Big Bang Clock-up", but it works fine the way it's actually written, too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye