PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Return of the 10 yard cushion...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the strategy Belichick prefers.

His strategy has been the best in the NFL over the last 10 years. No defense has been better than the Patriots in terms of points allowed over that stretch.

I'm seriously doubting whether anyone on this board has the capability to even question Belichick's use of a defensive strategy that has been the NFL's best.

I don't see how that could possibly be silly.

It's ok to prefer a more attacking defense if you're a fan, but questioning whether Belichick is using the wrong strategy is just preposterous. Given all the variables in types of defense, you're always trading one thing for another. In my view, you can't judge the Patriots defense by the yards they give up. How do they do against opposing offenses in the red zone. That's the telling question.

I also note that these questions are coming up at a time when we have only one starter left from a Super Bowl run 2 years ago. I'm pretty certain that any defeciencies we are seeing come from inexperience rather than strategy.

Sorry to bust your homerism bubble, but the steelers and the ravens have had the best defenses in the last 10 years. **** Lebeau is arguably a better defensive mind than Belichick. His defense shut down manning in indy in the afc divivisional play-off game, while belichick's defense choked a year later in the afc championship game. The ravens have not allowed single 100 yards rusher in like forever. The have lost players like Bart Scott, AD over the years and still had a top 5 defense that shot the patriots down last year.

Belichick is not infallable. Is defense has been average to mediocre in the last 4 years. The nfl has changed, rules changes have made offenses more efficient. The read and react defense is becoming obsolete,.

Last edited:
Last edited:
BB has won 5 SB's coaching this system. He has been very close to winning 3 more SB's with this system. Are you suggesting that he scrap these successes and a lifetime's worth of refinements for the flavor of the month defense run by someone who has never won a single championship, not even as a coordinator??? A system is only as effective as the players that play in it. Last night, it sure looked like we had quite a few ineffective players.

Are you reading this thread??? I now refer you to my post three posts before yours (#37).

It doesn't surprise me at all that the Pats chose this type of defense yesterday. They were playing against a rookie QB after all. I think even BB was surprised by how well Bradford played and probably didn't expect him to pick apart the defense the way he did.

I'd be surprised if the Pats don't play tighter in the regular season, now that we have some CBs that could play that way. Wee little Asante and The Hobbit are gone, after all.

1.) The 10 yard cushion works just fine.

2.) Those talking about the difference between last night and the first two games might want to ask themselves if there was any change at CB last night.....

3.) Every team in the league has defensive plays with a 10 yard cushion in their playbook.

Every freakin' time this team loses a game, the same insane gripes come up. They didn't play poorly last night because of the 10 yard cushion. They played poorly because they played poorly. They'd have played poorly if they were sitting on the backs of the Rams' receivers.

Last edited:

2.) Those talking about the difference between last night and the first two games might want to ask themselves if there was any change at CB last night.....

3.) Every team in the league has defensive plays with a 10 yard cushion in their playbook.

Every freakin' time this team loses a game, the same insane gripes come up. They didn't play poorly last night because of the 10 yard cushion. They played poorly because they played poorly. They'd have played poorly if they were sitting on the backs of the Rams' receivers.

1. Yeah, if you want to let an offense drive down the field on a 15 play drive.

2. Yes, there was a change. Our CBs played closer to the line of scrimmage the two previous games. They didn't allow easy 5 yard completions that turned some into 12 yard gains. PLUS, being 10 yards off the LOS, our CBs weren't a bigger factor in run support. They had to run 10 yards up and that gave the Rams RBs enough room to make a move and build momentum.

3. Yes, every team has a play that has 10 yard cushions. Agree with that. But for the most part, teams employ this play when it's 3rd and 20, not when it's 3rd and 3. Big difference.

Yes, there were changes at CB. Bodden played lots more.

1. Yeah, if you want to let an offense drive down the field on a 15 play drive.

2. Yes, there was a change. Our CBs played closer to the line of scrimmage the two previous games. They didn't allow easy 5 yard completions that turned some into 12 yard gains. PLUS, being 10 yards off the LOS, our CBs weren't a bigger factor in run support. They had to run 10 yards up and that gave the Rams RBs enough room to make a move and build momentum.

3. Yes, every team has a play that has 10 yard cushions. Agree with that. But for the most part, teams employ this play when it's 3rd and 20, not when it's 3rd and 3. Big difference.

If you think the problem last night was the CB cushion, you need to stop following football immediately. Walk away and never watch another snap.

Rules have changed during the past 10 years. It's no longer the way it was when our front 7 would have time to read the play and then react accordingly, develop a pass rush (if it's a pass) and then pressure the QB all the while our DBs are mugging the other teams' WRs 20 yards down the field.

The 10 yard cushion is also not the right answer. We've all seen that being exploited by All-Pros and inexperienced QBs. The attacking defense seems more suited to be successful in today's game.

You have to admit, our defense looked better against the Falcons and Saints when we pressed the action.

I'm sure Belichick has noticed the rule changes. I'm not trying to be snide, but you make it sound like someone needs to alert Belichick that the rules have changed.

BB decided to pass and chose Mayo instead. Right now, DRC, is a lock-down, shut-down corner who locks down one half of the football field and doesn't give any cushions, plays tight, up in your mug, man-to-man coverage for 60 minutes. He's a Pro Bowler right now. Team don't even look to throw to his side of the field.

Is that why he gave up the 8th most yards of any CB last season?

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor."

"Germans?!?"

"Forget it. He's rolling."

The_Riddler has a nice little argument going. Why would you want to ruin it by letting facts get in the way.

LOL, did you spend about 5 hours on Google trying to dig up that non-sense.

Watch the man play football, he's a stud, lock-down, top flight CB in only his 3rd year, was voted in to the PRO BOWL LAST YEAR !

He's a stud now and he's only going to get better.

Give it up now !

Bottom line is we should have drafted him over Mayo based on what both have shown through this point. Please don't even try to make a case for Mayo over DRC, there isn't anything legitimate and factual (film wise) (eye wise) (fact wise) to make your case on. Mayo has looked lost for a while now, and I am not sure what is going on with him.

Last edited:
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor."

"Germans?!?"

"Forget it. He's rolling."

The_Riddler has a nice little argument going. Why would you want to ruin it by letting facts get in the way.

So..... no talking about his fear of tackling running backs?

LOL, did you spend about 5 hours on Google trying to dig up that non-sense.

Watch the man play football, he's a stud, lock-down, top flight CB in only his 3rd year, was voted in to the PRO BOWL LAST YEAR !

He's a stud now and he's only going to get better.

Give it up now !

Bottom line is we should have drafted him over Mayo, IMO ! end of story.

Of course, you wanted the drunken Bengal, too...........

Sorry to bust your homerism bubble, but the steelers and the ravens have had the best defenses in the last 10 years. **** Lebeau is arguably a better defensive mind than Belichick. His defense shut down manning in indy in the afc divivisional play-off game, while belichick's defense choked a year later in the afc championship game. The ravens have not allowed single 100 yards rusher in like forever. The have lost players like Bart Scott, AD over the years and still had a top 5 defense that shot the patriots down last year.

Belichick is not infallable. Is defense has been average to mediocre in the last 4 years. The nfl has changed, rules changes have made offenses more efficient. The read and react defense is becoming obsolete,.

Belichick has never stymied the Colts in the playoffs.

The Patriots don't lead the league in points allowed in defense.

John McCain won the 2008 election.

Now, back to reality:

The Patriots OWN the Colts in the playoffs, and they've done it not once, not twice, but three times.

Best defense overall from 2002-2010 in points allowed?

#1. New England 17.85
#2. Baltimore 17.92
#3. Pittsburgh 18.05

Not to mention that Belichick and the Patriots have absolutely shredded LeBeau's Steelers' D in the playoffs.

Hate to look back, but we were on the verge of drafting Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie. We had worked him out privately the Thursday before the draft, Michael Smith on ESPN felt like DRC was their guy, their pick.

BB decided to pass and chose Mayo instead. Right now, DRC, is a lock-down, shut-down corner who locks down one half of the football field and doesn't give any cushions, plays tight, up in your mug, man-to-man coverage for 60 minutes. He's a Pro Bowler right now. Team don't even look to throw to his side of the field.

NFL Game Center: Indianapolis Colts at Arizona Cardinals - 2009 Week 3

Go to 35 seconds and 1:35 seconds

You're right, Peyton is so afraid of the amazing DRC. That's why Peyton just threw 2 TD passes on him. :rolleyes:

And do you wanna tell me who it is that Steve Smith toasts to the tune of 50 yards and a TD on this play at 58 seconds? http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009110110/2009/REG8/panthers@cardinals/watch

Last edited:
Of course, you wanted the drunken Bengal, too...........

Ah, so you've been impressed with Jerod Mayo's play ! Brilliant analysis, thanks for the tremendous insight.

All the DRC hate simply because BB chose to pass on him, I mean c'mon guys, he's a pro bowler for a freakin reason. Why can't anyone here admit anything ? I love the Pats just like you guys and I praise them like you guys do, but when a Mayo disappears for over a year now as the 10th pick in the draft and DRC is making Pro Bowls, come out of the closet and just talk about facts please. Is it that hard ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back