PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Retirment announcement coming up at presser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't hear his name without hearing it in Gil Santos's voice: "Touchdown DA-VID PATTEN!"

He sounds like a guy that just got out of Belichick's office and was convinced that this is the right time to retire.

David, Thanks for the memories....

Full respect, DP. Forever grateful for the efforts.

Congratulations to David Patten- moving on to the next stage of his life. Thanks for making some great Patriots memories!

I still get chills watching his TD catch in the Super Bowl.

Best of luck to him in his post-football life.

Some interesting tidbits:

1) Patten hadn't told his family
2) Patten refused to talk to Tom about it before hand.
3) Mike Reiss was the first reporter to go over and shake Patten's hand at the end of the conference. I wouldn't be surprised if Patten gave Reiss a few exclusive comments.

Some interesting tidbits:

1) Patten hadn't told his family
2) Patten refused to talk to Tom about it before hand.
3) Mike Reiss was the first reporter to go over and shake Patten's hand at the end of the conference. I wouldn't be surprised if Patten gave Reiss a few exclusive comments.

Why for 1 & 2?

He sounds like a guy that just got out of Belichick's office and was convinced that this is the right time to retire.

Must be a perception problem, sounded like a guy who read the roster tea leaves and being selfless decided to leave on his own terms. Said he didn't tell Brady until the decision was announced because he knew Tom, who encouraged him to come back and believed he could still contribute, would try to talk him out of it...and he's very persuasive. I'm sure the team would have preferred on some level if he had remained through camp. But it is a grind absent the carrot at the end of that stick, and they still got what they basically wanted from him, an insurance policy and a bridge from the past for all the youngsters to learn from about what it really means to be a Patriot's team player.

Thanks for all the memories, Chief. One of a handful of truly unheralded guys without whom there would be no dynasty.

Best of everything David.
David was one of my most favorite receivers over the years.
Right up there with Troy Brown.
Thanks for the memories David.

Full respect, DP. Forever grateful for the efforts.

Especially the Indy game in 2001 when he became one of the few players in NFL history to throw a TD pass (60 yds), rush for a TD ( 29 yds) and a catch a TD pass (91 yds)....

After watching that, I feel bad for ever saying a bad word about David Patten.

Thanks for your contributions to the team, David.
Hope he returns as a receiver's coach.

Thanks for your contributions to the team, David.
Hope he returns as a receiver's coach.

I was thinking the same, he will be there as an assistant's assistant :)

Well knock me unconscious on the sidelines!

Thanks for all you've done for the Patriots, David. With your skill, selfless & professional attitude and work ethic you were one of the originals to show the league "The Patriot Way". IMO you belong in the Pats HOF.

Thanks for everything David.

Enjoy your retirement.

Great patriot...Good Luck boss.

Thanks for all you've done for the Patriots, David. With your skill, selfless & professional attitude and work ethic you were one of the originals to show the league "The Patriot Way". IMO you belong in the Pats HOF.
Right there in the HOF next to Dave Meggett.:bricks:

If he's in the Pats HOF, it takes away from players who deserve to be there.

Well knock me unconscious on the sidelines!

LOL Those were the days.

I remember another time when Brady doinked one off Patten's head along the sideline and a trailing Wiggie had the presence of mind to field that sucker as it ricocheted and tap his toes like he was a WR...

The best part of the birth of the dynasty was the unlikely cast of highly coachable and driven castoff characters from which it sprung.

Bill was recalling how he wanted Patten as his first acquisitions when he got the job here, but being $35M over the cap he couldn't quite swing it... And Patten had to take $50K more to play somewhere else for a year because he needed the money. Then after signing him the next season before camp was even over Bill approached him and told him they wanted to do an extension...

Guys always know where they stand with Bill. We just don't always grasp that until he speaks to their retirements because part of the selfless, team game concept he preaches precludes blowing smoke up individual players asses during their careers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes