Welcome to PatsFans.com

Retirees Flock to Mexico for the Sun and the Health Care

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by weswelker#83, Dec 29, 2009.

1. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

But, our country is perfect. No one would ever want to leave for another country. The only way to improve our country is to cut taxes and services, and restore laws that protect the right for businesses to discriminate.
  3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +580 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

This is why FTW has not been posting ... he's been rounding up Americans trying to sneak into Mexico.
  4. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +309 / 4 / -2

People with no insurance are going to mexico to get hip replacements at a fraction of the cost. People need to ask why it costs only a fraction in mexico. Why is a hip replacement so much cheaper in mexico, than it is here?
  6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Malpractice ins.
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +188 / 7 / -23

If I could would move to Mexico in a heartbeat, probably in the Tulum area.. great people, simple amenities and a very nice climate...
  8. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Actually, the studies I've seen shows that it has very little effect on the cost of health services. Besides, I think it's more important to protect victims rights then insurance companies. I'd rather see us put more restrictions on insurance companies than on the rights of those who are victims of medical malpractice. Are you envious of the person who becomes a vegetable and then winds $6 million? What are you against here? The rare anomalous award?
  9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +188 / 7 / -23

An excellent example is Texas that enacted tort reform, the insurance companies benefitted, the doctors premiums went down, hospital insurance went down.. but the cost of medical care did not change, nor did health insurance premiums...

How did this basic state right, not help the citizenry???

Once again people want easy answers to complex problems...
  10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +346 / 1 / -9

I keep telling you people "Im srupid" there's something I can't figure out about all this, if Mexico is so great why in the hell did 12 million Mexicans leave that beautiful place in the middle of the night carrying their kids on top of their heads crossing the river, climbing fences and staggering through a desert with rattle snakes and coyote's on their ass and then when they get here they take their kids to our lousy hospitals..........:confused::confused:
  11. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Well, the doctor in the article cites the cost of insurance as the reason why he can charge $13,000 instead of $80,000.

"We are using the same implants, same prostheses, same technique, but, here, we have a great advantage. We don't have the liability costs as you can find in U.S. I pay, as a orthopedic surgeon, about one-tenth of what a -- my colleague in the U.S. would pay for malpractice insurance."

The whole article is pretty ridiculous though. First it is anecdotal evidence, there are no numbers here (at least in the transcript) for people that go to Mexico every year for surgery (I'm guessing that # is small). Second, you have the doctor basically promoting his business, so I would be wary of claims he makes. Finally, what does the article say about the Mexican program as a whole? Let's have a read:

"But there are limitations to Mexico's government plan. Anyone with a preexisting condition is excluded. The facilities are not cutting-edge. And if you are not in need of urgent care, the lines are notoriously long.

It's always overloaded with patients. There's hundreds of people waiting on waiting lists. Surgeries are -- there's waiting lists for surgeries for up to about six months. And, so, it's a system that you have to wait it out."

Wow! Sounds great!

The one interesting idea here is whether medicare should cover operations done overseas. I don't see why not, if the patient needs the procedure they should be able to choose where it is done, right? Although if it was going to be covered by medicare I don't know why the patient wouldn't choose the best hospital.
  12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +309 / 4 / -2

Hasta lavista baby! :D

In all seriousness, I've been to mexico something like 9 or 10 times, and I think the place is amazing. Of course, I've seen dowtown Cancun, and worse, the non tourist portions of Tijuana, and those are places not even rodents would want to go.
  13. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +346 / 1 / -9

Why Do They Leave This Beautiful Mexico By The Millions In The Middle Of The Night

?-?-?-?
  14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +188 / 7 / -23

Cancun is just a stop to get someplace else... have taken buses and stayed at various places all over the Yucatan, Isla Mujeres, Progresso, Merida, Tulim wonderful people... one time we took the bus to Belize, and then flew over to one the cayes.. did not like it there, so went back to Mexico..

Funniest thing ever was was on a bus coming back from Belize to Mexico, they pulled the bus over and sprayed white stuff all over the wheel wells and undercarriage to stop bugs from coming into Mexico... you had to be there, but after a long day of traveling laughed my ass off.
  15. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +346 / 1 / -9

I used to do that to my wifes mother
  16. Run DMC

Run DMC Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Plain and simple, because the USA provides a better quality of life if you are an uneducated peasant who will be a drain on the system.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  17. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Please God,,,,,,,,,,, I'll do anything. Name your price, and I'll do it. :singing:

I've traveled many places in Mexico, from the tourist traps to Guadalajara......... The whole country is a sh!theap. I wouldn't have my toenails cut in Mexico, let alone any real surgery.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  18. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +188 / 7 / -23

The method of the right is to silence the opposition.. a page out of the Rove/Rightie play book.. if you all had your way this forum would be renamed the Right Wing Circle Jerk Forum....

Maybe you should avoid the tourist traps.. it is a beautiful country, with a beautiful culture..

They have internet in Mexico, have posted from there before...
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  19. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Not so fast Wes, but nice try on the “this country is better than the USA” theme you love to throw up posts about. I’m not so sure you really wanted to make a point about health care at all.

The guy they interviewed paid them $13k as opposed to $80K to $120k here, so I can’t blame them for taking legal advantage of a service that they paid for out of their own pockets, after which they went back to their homeland to live where they were citizens.

The easy explanation (spin) is that the Mexico picks up the $100k difference with their “better” health care system that serves everyone. Obviously the costs are way cheaper there though. I’d be fascinated to find out what the true expense was for the treatments and why it’s so cheap compared to ours. Insurance costs, cost of living and salaries are significantly cheaper there for sure.

These aren't aliens flocking over to live the "Mexican Dream" illegally are they Wes? They do come back to their homeland don't they? Oops here comes gravity.
  20. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +334 / 6 / -8

Yeah, and people cross the border to Canada to buy their drugs because of "malpractice insurance" too :)

Good thing we have relatively open borders!

PFnV