Welcome to PatsFans.com

Retired Marine schools Liberal Congressman

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by KDPPatsfan85, May 25, 2012.

1. KDPPatsfan85

KDPPatsfan85 Rookie

Ratings:
    +130 / 3 / -10

#51 Jersey

2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Stupid Marine/Stupid Congressperson.

First time I ever met a Marine, I worked in a sleazy hotel (for transients, many of whom were excons) in Duluth, MN. I was 18 yo. The guy said to me, "The Marines straightened me out; the one thing I regret is that they taught me to me kill without feeling." The next day he was arrested for armed bank robbery.

Second time I met a Marine, it was my boss when I worked for a mgmt. consulting company in Scandinavia (boy, did he complain about the taxes there); he had been CEO of a major company and his big claim to fame was busting the Teamster's union. His biggest complaint about the military was that it was sapping too much of the technology talent needed by American corporations.

What I'm always struck with is the number of criminals who are former Marines. A search in Google for "former Marine" murder yields 465,000 hits, and a random look suggests that most links involve Marines who are murderers (though many involve Marines who have been murdered).

I think we need to do more to help our troops adjust to civilized society, especially those who have been traumatized.
    Last edited: May 26, 2012
  3. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Am I the only one who noticed just how fake that video was? I don't know what the real topic of conversation was, but it sure wasn't legit. Thank you KD for once again pointing out that you know you can't win the national debate without flat out making crap up.
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

This video was taken in '09 ...

Baird did not run for re-election, despite being a very popular congressman.
  5. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It seems that even on Memorial Day Weekend, you are unable to hide (or at the very least shelve) your disdain and contempt for the American military.

If I took your above paragraph and replaced "former marine" with "black person", how many google hits, crimes and murders do you think we would get? (now that's a scientific study!) Does that mean you think we should help black people adjust to civilized society?

Here's something you should think about: Those marines you hate so much are the reason you're allowed to practice the lifestyle you do.
  6. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

You post a political thread in the political forum and call that honoring the deceased? I think the way this country panders to are troops is condescending. I honor our troops by my freedom to disagree with the values that many of them have.

One presumes Google will yield more hits on blacks than Marines because there are more more blacks. In fact, a sizable % of the Marines is probably black, so I'm not sure why you're playing the race card.
  7. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

And there you have it folks. The man who paints marines as criminals and murderers really hates it when the rest of us throw parades and hold ceremonies in their honor. :mad: :mad:

I can't make this stuff up, people. :mad: :mad:
  8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

I love watching Politicians get humiliated, lying grinning, full of sh!t bastards.

I suppose we have to have them but we also have the freedom to publicly be disgusted with them.

What kind of retarded sappy silly morons sit behind a Stinking Politician then Grin and Applaud every word that comes of their filthy Snake Oil Lying Mouths?
  9. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Honoring our war dead as nothing at all to do with what you posted.

Many Marines have been badly damaged by their service, both physically and mentally. The Marine in that video sounds like he has an anger problem and has bought into all the tea bagger crap that is fueling his irrational and ignorant statements. He sounds like an idiot to me. Credit to Congressperson for appearing before a hostile crowd. As much as the right wing likes to pretend, the Marines are not a politically monolithic group. Last time around, Obama got around 45% of the military and veteran vote, and that was against military hero John McCain.
  10. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +657 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Patters...

Really? I wonder if you're trolling here.

And what is the application for this story? What possible insight does it give us?

At least this person is citing a somewhat valid concern. Of course, I imagine a sizable portion of the tech talent that staffs American corporations comes from the military, ours and those overseas. I have stories about how Navy IT guys have gone on to start their own companies, or guys out of the Israel Defense Force contributing to corporations and R&D in Silicon Valley. Of course, it's all anecdotal and doesn't mean much.

I like the thinly veiled provocation thinly disguised as cognitively biased, quantitative research. Most people here know better than to trust it, and most of those who aren't familiar with the forum dynamics are probably clever enough to see through it.

Now this...this is a worthwhile statement.

The rest of your post is utter rubbish.
  11. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

The issue isn't pandering to troops, but using them.

How many politicians pay lip service to the troops when it's politically advantageous to do so, yet ignore them after they've left the service, so frequently with physical and / or mental issues?

And plenty of non-politicians do the same, sporting a China-made flag or bumper sticker on a car while doing nothing to actually help our troops and even voting against government efforts to help them.
  12. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

My post was in response to a post that featured a video of a Marine going off the deep end at a political gathering. It made me think of my own observations about Marines. I don't find Marines to be a particularly positive part of our society. They are no better or worse than anyone else. There heroes among the Marines, just as there are heroes in all walks of society; there are losers as well.
  13. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If I said the same thing about homosexuals, I'd be perma-banned.
  14. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

Not if you also wrote the rest of what patters wrote, which made it clear he wasn't saying anything negative.
  15. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

AKA selective editing.. the method of the right.

What is interesting about this video, is that there is no proof of this guy being a Marine, except he says so...
  16. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Don't engage in false reporting by lifting out sentences out of context.
  17. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,048 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

If I was a mod you would have been gone over what you just posted.

That is a back door slap in the face if ever there was one ... lower than low.

Does that make you feel better about yourself?
    Does it improve your life?
    Seriously how does one feel when making such a rude statement?