Welcome to PatsFans.com

Retailers should not prevent employees from saying Merry Christmas

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Nov 17, 2008.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +348 / 3 / -13

Typically, around 30-40% of retail sales are generated by Christmas shoppers each year. I personally find it hypocritical for any retailer to have a policy that prevents their employees from wishing their customers a Merry Christmas.

After all, how can one have a policy that prevents employees from expressing the very holiday that generates most of their sales? Walk into any retailer and look around. Those are not "holiday" decorations you see, they are Christmas decorations. Those are not "holiday trees", they are Christmas trees. And that guy with the white beard? Yup, that is santa Claus...they ultimate symbol of the Christmas season.

I'm not looking at this from a religious perspective, I'm just saying that the holiday is called Christmas. Let's not succomb to political correctness by trying to eliminate the name of the holiday as if we are in mass denial.

one note; WalMart prevented employees from saying "Merry Christmas" 2 years ago much to the disappointment of their Christmas (most important) shoppers. Last year, their employees were once again saying the phrase that is as American as apple pie....or is that just plain "Pie"?;)
  2. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +57 / 14 / -9

I agree...... I love to say Merry Christmas !
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +299 / 10 / -26

This whole thing is no big deal, but O"Reilly and many of the other pundits will spend the next month talking about how Christmas is being ruined, all the while buying their big ticket items.. I do not care what they say, as long as they are polite.. it is wrong for an employer to tell people what to say during the holidays..
  4. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

....or what not to say
  5. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

It may make sense to vary such a policy based on region and specific customer base.

If I was running a store Kansas and 98% of my customer base was Christian I would instruct my employees to say Merry Xmas.

However, if I was running a store in NYC with a significant portion of the population being Jewish, Muslim, atheist, agnostic or other I would instruct them to say "happy holidays".

When I worked retail most of the time I would say "happy holidays." But if I noticed the person was wearing a cross or if it was obvious from their purchases they were Christian (buying a nativity set) I would say Merry Christmas. If I saw they wearing a star of david or Mezuzah or if they were buying dreidels I would wish them a happy Hanukkah.
  6. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

You would think, but if one person is offended the policy usually changes to accommodate that one and while saying “screw you” to the rest. Kind of an ACLU type of thing, well if it's "Merry Christmas" anyway :rolleyes:
  7. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

An employer can tell his employees how to great the customers. "Welcome to McDonalds, how can I help you" is scripted. This ain't 1st amendment issue unless the employer is the gov't.

If 99% of your customers are Christian and one non-Christian doesn't like Merry Christmas, you keep saying Merry Christmas and relish the publicity of that one persons complaint.

But if 60% of your customers are Jewish and the rumblings in the community are that your store greeting of "merry xmas" is a statement of preference for Christians over non-christians you best change your greeting less you go out of business.

This isn't an ACLU issue. But the reality is I feel more comfortable being wished happy holidays than merry xmas. Do I consciously choose my place of shopping because of it? No. But it does effect my overall shopping experience which may subconsciously result in me choosing one store over another.
  8. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +348 / 3 / -13

If it were that obvious, then being discreet is the right thing to do. But even in new york, the vast majority of people are christmas shopping. But I'm fine with employees having the freedom to say whatever they please ... as long as they're not swearing.
  9. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Man I got leaves to rake still. I haven't finished stealing my niece and nephew's Halloween candy yet.

Seems like Christmas talk starts earlier and earlier every year. Its November 17th and I've already heard Dominick: the Italian Christmas Donkey at least 12 times.

Just to be sure, we are talking about Christmas 2008 right not 2009 already?
  10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +578 / 2 / -9

Hi, again you show your "sensible right side".

Merry CHRISTmas.
  11. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +348 / 3 / -13

There may 5 major chain stores nationally where the people coming in are 60% Jewish, so that's not really an issue at all. Secondly, without Christmas, no one is shopping for gifts from santa, period. Take away Christmas and Nov/Dec are just 2 typical months of shopping.

The reason many atheists and Jews spend big deniro during the holidays is actually because of Christmas.

I have never heard Bill O'Reilly speak in this issue, so this is my opinion only. I heard my nephew tell me they call Christmas trees, "holiday trees" in school. So I told him to continue to call them Christmas trees no matter what his 4th grade teach says.

They are Christmas trees, WTF else would they be? I am not preaching the Christian meaning of Christmas but more the secular holiday and the magic of santa clause....and all that has to do with CHRISTMAS.

Don't let your children be hoodwinked by their teachers. Encourage them to correct their teachers if they say holiday decorations or holiday tree. God knows they need correcting.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  12. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

There shouldn't be trees (holiday or xmas) in schools. If the school has a tree and is calling a holiday tree instead of an xmas tree they are doing that to circumvent than ban on having religious items in public school.

If the school/teacher/government is banning a 4th grader from calling them xmas trees and punishing them for doing so then that is a 1st amendment issue. (although he might not win, cause kids have less 1st amendment rights in school than the population does in general)

The schools should be focusing on reading, writing and math and not candy canes, trees, and jolly fat guys.
  13. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Then when you own a store. Set that as your store policy.

The righties seem to be forgetting going 180 on their attidude towards businesses.

If the store owner wants to tell his employees not to use religious terms while working that is the store owners prerogative. If you don't want to shop there that is yours.
  14. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +348 / 3 / -13

The supreme court has ruled that christmas is a secular holiday and as such, christmas trees and/or decorations are fine. There are millions of non-christians (and non-believers) who celebrate christmas.

Christmas trees (paper symbols) and christmas parties are still happening in schools all over the country.
  15. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Christmas is my second favorite holiday (behind Fourth of July). It's Christmas. I wouldn't be offended if someone wished me a Happy Haunuka (sp?), Kwanza or Ramadan (of course, that never happens because we don't associate with "those people"). We eat like pigs, the snowmobiles (I'm sorry...snow "machines") are up and running (I hope!), drink Glug and Guiness, have lots of bonfires and see family and friends a lot.

I am offended by your inference that it is a "secular" holiday, though. You further insult me and my religion by insinuating that Santa Claus is "magic". Such an insensitive characterization of the ONE TRUE GOD - SANTA CLAUS reveals your obvious bigotry towards our faith in the Great Chubby One.

I await your apology.

ALL HAIL SANTA CLAUS!

[​IMG]
  16. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +348 / 3 / -13

I, PatriotsReign, do humbly apologize to all whom I may have offended.:p;)
  17. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

That's more like it!...

[​IMG]
  18. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +578 / 2 / -9

You haven't offended me, I thought you were great...............:)
  19. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +459 / 6 / -2

Let's make it 13 times! C'mon, everybody...jingedy, jing, hee-haw, hee-haw, it's Domenick the donkey...

YouTube - Dominick The Italian Christmas Donkey song :yeeha:

:D
  20. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +459 / 6 / -2

Don't they call it CHRISTmas afterall? :confused2: