PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Results Are In, Chad Jackson Is A 1st Year Bust!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And why did Gabriel get released? Maybe I am missing why if there is a reason. If nothing was released, why on earth would the Patriots release him with an already thin recieving core. I doubt they saw Gaffney or Brown as world beaters.

Brady wouldn't really comment on that on EEI today. I don't think there's anything tricky to it, obviously BB felt he was a detriment to the team for one reason or another and wasn't fitting into their plans. They didn't just do it for squeaks and gigs - and I think it goes to show they have confidence in Gaffney and Jackson.

Well, I dont understand why anybody in their right mind thought Chad would walk in as a 21 year old kid and get a 1000 yard season or something ridiculous.

We are in complete agreement about those mindsets. Hence this ONE reality thread countering the many Chad's Da Man! threads we've had here on and on since April.

Jackson is easily the fastest reciever on our team and he problably has some of the best hands on the team as well.

Best hands? I don't see the evidence for that Chad hype.

Its not his fault if people are hyping him to have an unreal season and it doesnt occur.

You can help here. Stop with the unfounded praise like he has the best hands. Let the rook simply contribute a bit in a couple December games.

I havent seen very much that Jackson has done wrong except for a play when he "slowed down" in the Chicago game. I mean damn, it seems like if a player makes a mistake no one will forgive him for weeks.

That (mistake) was then. This is now. He's been called out by the vet leadership and so far he's tone deaf.

Maybe Jacksonville will be his 'breakout game'. (cough)

That (mistake) was then. This is now. He's been called out by the vet leadership and so far he's tone deaf.

Maybe Jacksonville will be his 'breakout game'. (cough)

How was he "called out" by vet leadership. Brady said that he was injured and wasn't practicing.

Man, I gotta stop replying to everybody in CJ threads...

Brady wouldn't really comment on that on EEI today. I don't think there's anything tricky to it, obviously BB felt he was a detriment to the team for one reason or another and wasn't fitting into their plans. They didn't just do it for squeaks and gigs - and I think it goes to show they have confidence in Gaffney and Jackson.

Yes.

Brady did intimate that he thought Gaf would be happier elsewhere and 'get more of a chance to play'. Read into that what you will.

He was asked specifically, "Was it a surprise to you when Gaffney was cut?"
Brady demurred, saying something like "If I say Yes it could be taken one way and if I say No it could be taken another way. I'll pass".

FYI girls, he also passed on the Bridget breakup question.

Well, I dont understand why anybody in their right mind thought Chad would walk in as a 21 year old kid and get a 1000 yard season or something ridiculous.

We are in complete agreement about those mindsets. Hence this ONE reality thread countering the many Chad's Da Man! threads we've had here on and on since April.

Then ignore the threads if you hate them so much. And this thread is just as childish as the Chad's Da Man threads, as you call them.

Jackson is easily the fastest reciever on our team and he problably has some of the best hands on the team as well.

Best hands? I don't see the evidence for that Chad hype.

Yes I do think he has some of the best hands. I have seen all of our recievers drop easy passes that him them right in their hands. Ofcourse we havent seen a lot of Jackson. He made a few very good catches against the Jets one of which was a great catch, showed some nice hands against the Vikings which was a big time gain which got called back for a bogus penalty. He was interfered with terribly by a Bears defender and I guarentee if the ball hit his hands and the DB wasnt all over him he would not have dropped that ball. And finally the apparently "unforgivable play" in which he slowed down. Big deal, its not like anyone deserved a reprieve for terrible mistakes that night. Maroney fumbled, Dillon fumbled, Caldwell fumbled, Watson fumbled. So give me one good pass that he dropped and bounced off his hands. He came out of college being praised as having some of the best hands out of the WR's in the draft. So yes I do believe he has some very good hands.

Its not his fault if people are hyping him to have an unreal season and it doesnt occur.

You can help here. Stop with the unfounded praise like he has the best hands. Let the rook simply contribute a bit in a couple December games.

Whoa whoa! Hold on, are you telling me to stop with the unfounded praise? Dude, your ridiculous. I never praised Jackson as the best reciever the Patriots have because he is not, I never praised him and said he is going to be the best reciever of the Brady era. I only defended him from your childish, relentless bashing of the kid.

I havent seen very much that Jackson has done wrong except for a play when he "slowed down" in the Chicago game. I mean damn, it seems like if a player makes a mistake no one will forgive him for weeks.

Yes.

Brady did intimate that he thought Gaf would be happier elsewhere and 'get more of a chance to play'. Read into that what you will.

He was asked specifically, "Was it a surprise to you when Gaffney was cut?"
Brady demurred, saying something like "If I say Yes it could be taken one way and if I say No it could be taken another way. I'll pass".

FYI girls, he also passed on the Bridget breakup question.

Umm I don't think Gaffney was cut. I believe it was Gabriel.

BTW it's going to be hard to have a breakout game against the Jags. They have a pretty good defensive team. They might have cost my fantasy team the playoffs because they shut down Vince Young. :mad:

I expected that by late in the season after weeks and months of coaching to learn at least a small part of the system this highly touted (here) high pick would find a way to make a contribution in each game in a limited role. A catch or 2 for 1st down or something. BB expects that all players contribute. CJ is Lost in Space.

Hmm.. based on what you said here, you are contradicting yourself. Jackson is, most certainly, making a contribution in the games. The last couple weeks he's been on the field in RUNNING situation and he's proving to be a good blocker. That IS a contribution. It may not be a catch or two, but it is still a contribution.

Uh, they DID change based on his injuries. As I stated previously, I am not looking for Bethel Release 2.0 to tear up the field, have a "breakout game" or anything like the more than a dozen Chad Rules! threads shouted here. Just looking for a game contribution. A couple catches here and there.

For a player to contribute in a game, they must actually be on the field, which they can't do with an injured hamstring or groin. So again, did your expectations change realistically?

I think it's quite likely that Mr Chad is one doofus that Brady and Graham were referring to last week when they said it's time for the newer guys to step up and contribute. Yet again, Chad was MIA.

Maybe, but that's your conjecture based on nothing factual.

Given that the 2006 team lacks productive wideouts who are most always open and deserving of all Brady's attention, wouldn't ya think that if the kid could run his routes well and get open a few times a game Brady would find him?

Brady cannot throw the ball to a player that is not active due to injury.

Given that Brady is known as THE QB whose favorite receiver is the open man, with all our other guys covered wouldn't Brady be throwing Chad's way if he were open in the correct spot on the field?

Before Chad's most recent injury he did in fact have several balls thrown his way. He didn't catch many of them, but again, he's a rookie that has been injured and thus not had alot of on hands training or game experience in the NFL. I think as his experience grows you'll see him catch those balls that he's dropped this season.

I think the lack of tosses to Chad the few games he's played reflects that he's not where he's supposed to be when he's supposed to be there.

Please keep in mind that Chad is a rookie. Please keep in mind that Chad's been injured. Please keep in mind that on top of those two facts, that Chad has also come into a situation where 80% of the wideouts on the team were new. One being so out of place in the offense that he was let go in the stretch run. He's a rookie coming into a situation where the only holdover is Troy Brown. He's a rookie coming into a situation where the starting WRs are first year in the system player Reche Caldwell, 35 year old Troy Brown, and scrap heap player Jabar Gaffney depending on the week.

The entire passing game has struggled with these circumstances. Chad is not the only player in the passing game that has not produced. Our TE is our #1 recieving leader. The entire WR group on this team this season is weak. Chad Jackson is in the midst of a less than solid group of guys. Chad Jackson is a rookie. Chad Jackson has had multiple injuries. Again, you might need to further readjust your expectations.

And if you are still fine bashing Chad after all those situational facts, then I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I'll stipulate that Chad MAY be blocking well on runs although you Chad folks know that you have no evidence as of yet to support that contribution.

Hey, maybe he should be moved to TE?

I'll stipulate that Chad MAY be blocking well on runs although you Chad folks know that you have no evidence as of yet to support that contribution.

Hey, maybe he should be moved to TE?

What is your obsession with Jackson? Who are the "Chad Folks"- Those who hold out hope that he will mature into a good player? There is something very mean-spirited in this thread. Was that your intention? You may be a decent guy in person, but you are coming across as someone with an axe to grind, beyond what is merited by a rookie's struggles. Is there something else at work here? Is this some kind of attempt at humor that I am missing?

I have to wonder what all of you "Ben Watson Backers" see in that guy. He was so bad his rookie year he didn't catch a single pass after the first game. I have no confirmation, but I have a theory that he was too stupid to get the playbook.

And it is sickening how many people are on Steve Smith's jock. The guy caught 10 passes for 154 yards and no TDs in his rookie year on a team where Donald Hayes was the leading receiver!

I really do have to wonder if some of you people even watch the game before posting on this board.

What is your obsession with Jackson? Who are the "Chad Folks"- Those who hold out hope that he will mature into a good player? There is something very mean-spirited in this thread. Was that your intention? You may be a decent guy in person, but you are coming across as someone with an axe to grind, beyond what is merited by a rookie's struggles. Is there something else at work here? Is this some kind of attempt at humor that I am missing?

I'm simply pointing out that the incessant man-love obsession that you and others have for this pick is misplaced.
He's a 1st year bust as a highly touted (here in dozens of threads) #2 pick. The results for season 1 are for all practical purposes in after 14 games.
You apparently cannot even stand 1 thread that criticizes his lack of contribution vs the hype. Go look at the 1st post.

I'm simply pointing out that the incessant man-love obsession that you and others have for this pick is misplaced.
He's a 1st year bust as a highly touted (here in dozens of threads) #2 pick. The results for season 1 are for all practical purposes in after 14 games.
You apparently cannot even stand 1 thread that criticizes his lack of contribution vs the hype. Go look at the 1st post.

Lynn Swann rookie year 11 catches, 208 yds, 2 TD's Hall of fame
john Stallworth 16 catches, 269 yds, 1 TD Hall of fame

CJ has as many TD's as these two combined.

he said 1st year bust...not that he is going to suck his whole career...and hes right...we coulda used another playmaker out there this year and he didnt step up or stay healthy....so yeah he was a total dissapointment this year...and i really dont need to hear the whole thing about not getting to know his QB and all that ...look at colston he was injuried a few games and he was one of the last ppl drafted...jackson was a projected as a 1st rounder and blew away everyone at the combines...so id say his fist year has sucked except for a few plays...
but...check my other posts ive said this all along...because i fully beleive he is going to be a great WR for this team in the future..
on a lighter note...he did do a great job run blocking i saw him completely clear out a defender on one block which encourages me...i mean he pushed the guy back at least 5 yards...This shows me he is trying to get into the game and is trying to get more playing time...

Veteran WR's have come here ... other position veterans have come here and not figured it out... What is the difference between those who get it and those who don't???

If Belichick knew exactly he would not draft or bring anyone in who doesn't or doesn't have a chance to get it.

So, perhaps Belichick has it down to 70% or 80% of knowing who will get it and who will fit in .... so that means 2 or 3 out of every 10 who come here won't get it ... and that will continue because at his age ... I doubt Belichick can refine his process much more...maybe a little...but not much more.

{Insert numerous meaningless stats about a few fine wideouts' 1st years, while neglecting the vast preponderance of other WR BUSTS with CJ type stats}

OK, I'll spare you the stats and instead make a comparison with another 2nd round WR rookie who suited up for the Pats: Bethel Johnson.

As of now, Jackson enjoys a slight edge in TD receptions, but trails in most other categories. What worse is that unlike Bethel during his rookies season, Jackson's contributed little to nothing on special teams.

So yes, Jackson's first year has been a bust. This to me is a no brainer. Yet, I'm reserving my right to label him a total bust just yet with hopes, as far fetched and improbable as they might seem now, that he'll counter Bethel's trend of getting worse year to year and actually improve upon his busted rookie season.

OK, I'll spare you the stats and instead make a comparison with another 2nd round WR rookie who suited up for the Pats: Bethel Johnson.

As of now, Jackson enjoys a slight edge in TD receptions, but trails in most other categories. What worse is that unlike Bethel during his rookies season, Jackson's contributed little to nothing on special teams.

So yes, Jackson's first year has been a bust. This to me is a no brainer. Yet, I'm reserving my right to label him a total bust just yet with hopes, as far fetched and improbable as they might seem now, that he'll counter Bethel's trend of getting worse year to year and actually improve upon his busted rookie season.

I'm fine with that hope. He was drafted because of his excellent physical talents, size & speed. My concern is with rumors that CJ's problems keeping him off the field and invisible when on it are 'head problems'. Next season should tell if he's on the Bethel career path or not.

There's a slight possibility that he might use his ongoing practise time wisely and contribute some by playoff time. Love to see him make a couple chain moving catches in the Pats' February victory. Then this thread could be retired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes