PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Results Are In, Chad Jackson Is A 1st Year Bust!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a pretty grim outlook. Caldwell has had a breakout year & Gaffney basically has the same career numbers as David Givens.

Other than last year when Brady racked up yardage coming from behind against prevent defenses, when do you last remember a wideout having fantasy worthy stats? Troy Brown back in the day, sure, but considering all the turnover at the position & considering all the youth at the position, the wideouts are doing just fine.

Whats the dig on Florida receivers? We have waaay too many. Here's how they currently rank in my book. Kight now gets the bump over bust Jackson for at least contributing on special teams. Although none of these guys are anything more than Jags.

Caldwell
Gaffney
Kight
Jackson
Caldwell and Gaffney were probably just the best they could find at the time. Jackson and Kight ? Belichick is on record saying the Urban Meyer's offense has more pro elements than the average college offense. Some people around here think they know otherwise though :rolleyes:

Awesome we win 40-7 and you still find something to complain about. :) Love the negativity on this board.
The Naysayers still have to make a statement..and usually wrong and hollow..and without much perspective or real knowledge..

Since the title of the thread, Results Are In, Chad Jackson Is A 1st Year Bust!, suggests that CJ is a 1st year bust due to his lack of production in his 1st year, why the disagreement?

He hasn't lived up to expectations, no matter how inflated they may be, and unless he sets the world on fire through the last 2 games and throughout the playoffs to yet another Pats SB victory ;), how can he be perceived as anything but a 1st year bust.

He may very well go on to have a stellar pro career, not be a 2nd year bust and be looked at as a steal. But given the hype that has followed him, I won't speak for anyone else, he's been a disappointment in this his 1st year.

I'll avoid the mush of all these negative posts and just ask:

Being that he was injured and missed TC, and is an NFL Rookie at the Wide Reciever position on a team that is notoriously hard to stock WRs for: What did you expect from him this season beyond exactly what's happened?

If you expected more, then you simply are not paying attention.

I'll judge him after he has a full TC with Tom and gets more experience under his belt. This rush to proclaim him a bust is simply silly.

Patswickedpissuh, with no due respect, this is quite possibly the most short-sighted, ******ed non-Keegs thread currently on this board. You seem to be part of that clan who expects every rookie to blossom instantaneously like Deion did his first year. That rarely happens, especially in this complex an offensive system. Take a breath and, for our sakes, a break from posting.

Were you one of the many hyping this bust?

Since the title of the thread, Results Are In, Chad Jackson Is A 1st Year Bust!, suggests that CJ is a 1st year bust due to his lack of production in his 1st year, why the disagreement?

He hasn't lived up to expectations, no matter how inflated they may be, and unless he sets the world on fire through the last 2 games and throughout the playoffs to yet another Pats SB victory ;), how can he be perceived as anything but a 1st year bust.

He may very well go on to have a stellar pro career, not be a 2nd year bust and be looked at as a steal. But given the hype that has followed him, I won't speak for anyone else, he's been a disappointment in this his 1st year.

In reality there is no such thing as a first year bust, but in the perception of the fans and media, who rush to either crown or crap on a player, and sometimes rush to do the opposite to the same player at any hint of a falter, it clearly exists.

But the expectation that the fans and media had of Jackson is, I'm sure, not the same expectation that this coaching staff had. So, who is it that's a bust? Chad Jackson, or we the fans and media for putting too high a hope on a kid that should, realistically, never have had that expectation placed on him in the first place?

The kid will be fine. We fans just need to back off so that the media follows suit. The more we talk about him in a negative way on the boards, the more these idea-sharking hacks will take those sentiments directly to CJ himself anytime he's in front of a mic. It's sad to see how little support these young kids get, and how quick people are to judge and tear them down.

I'll avoid the mush of all these negative posts and just ask:

Being that he was injured and missed TC, and is an NFL Rookie at the Wide Reciever position on a team that is notoriously hard to stock WRs for: What did you expect from him this season beyond exactly what's happened?

If you expected more, then you simply are not paying attention.

I'll judge him after he has a full TC with Tom and gets more experience under his belt. This rush to proclaim him a bust is simply silly.

I expected that by late in the season after weeks and months of coaching to learn at least a small part of the system this highly touted (here) high pick would find a way to make a contribution in each game in a limited role. A catch or 2 for 1st down or something. BB expects that all players contribute. CJ is Lost in Space.

I haven't bothered to read this thread. It is pointless to judge anyone based on their 1st year.

I do want to make the point though that all of you Chad lovers ask for this crap. Before the guy even played his first game I kept seeing guys post how great Chad was. Once he got healthy he was going to be our #1. He was going to replace Deion. Lately it's been crap like "BB is keeping my man Chad down" and "Chad is tight, put him in the game."

I am sick of all talk about Chad Jackson. Why can't we just treat him like every other rookie: not talk about him good or bad until he gets into games and shows us what he's got. If he could disappear forever tomorrow I would gladly welcome it, even if it meant the Pats never saw any return on their investment. I just want it to stop.

I expected that by late in the season after weeks and months of coaching to learn at least a small part of the system this highly touted (here) high pick would find a way to make a contribution in each game in a limited role. A catch or 2 for 1st down or something. BB expects that all players contribute. CJ is Lost in Space.

He's been injured. Hamstring and Groin. Why did your expectations not change with the new information about his injuries? Mine did. I'm disappointed that he's not been healthy, but calling him a bust is labeling him a failure at his craft. Which, considering his circumstances, I feel is pretty unfair at this stage of the game for him.

Under the new CBA:

1st round 1-16 may sign a six year deal

1st round 17-32 may sign a five year deal

2nd - 7th round deals may not exceed four years

Other than that, just sit back and enjoy BB's attempt to rehab Florida WRs. :)

Edit: All players who make the 53 are expected to produce, which helps explain the Pats 7th round rookie leading the team with Special Teams tackles. This also applies to any player signed to the Practice Squad and the Mruczkowski's who float on and off the shadow roster, as they need to be fit and ready to play on short notice too. Players who go in IR are expected to work hard to rehab. You have to love it as a Pats' fan, BB has really put a premium on being a Pats' player and very few players are failing to live up to his standard. :singing:

Thanks I forgot about the new CBA, I knew in the past it was the Pats policy to sign their rookies to 5 year deals. Well if he has a light out year next year, than that would be a good problem to have about resigning him.

Although I still hate Florida WRs, but as with all Pats I will be rooting for him.

Sad to say Belioli has a bad track record with their recent #2 picks. Marquis "Game Inactive" Hill, Bethel "Deep Fly ONLY" Johnson, and now Chad "Can't Catch The Deep Fly" Jackson.

* IMO, Jackson is ahead of M Hill -:)
And didnt we get Deion Branch in the second round? Wilson in the second round? You can manage to find a few second round busts from the past year but you fail to mention some of the great second round picks our FO. I have already named Branch who has had a successfull career so far, even if I dislike him. Wilson had a terrific rookie season and a another good season after that. He stepped right in after the Lawyer Milloy dilema and everything turned out great. Kevin Faulk was also a second rounder. Granted, Kevin is not a starter or anything, but proved yesterday he is a valuable asset to this offense.(Dunno if Carrol or Belichick was the one to pick him). But none the less Faulk was a second rounder who turned out to be pretty good. You havent got a good argument pointing out our second round busts but you didnt mention our good second round picks.

He's been injured. Hamstring and Groin. Why did your expectations not change with the new information about his injuries? Mine did. I'm disappointed that he's not been healthy, but calling him a bust is labeling him a failure at his craft. Which, considering his circumstances, I feel is pretty unfair at this stage of the game for him.

Uh, they DID change based on his injuries. As I stated previously, I am not looking for Bethel Release 2.0 to tear up the field, have a "breakout game" or anything like the more than a dozen Chad Rules! threads shouted here. Just looking for a game contribution. A couple catches here and there.

I think it's quite likely that Mr Chad is one doofus that Brady and Graham were referring to last week when they said it's time for the newer guys to step up and contribute. Yet again, Chad was MIA.

Given that the 2006 team lacks productive wideouts who are most always open and deserving of all Brady's attention, wouldn't ya think that if the kid could run his routes well and get open a few times a game Brady would find him? Given that Brady is known as THE QB whose favorite receiver is the open man, with all our other guys covered wouldn't Brady be throwing Chad's way if he were open in the correct spot on the field? I think the lack of tosses to Chad the few games he's played reflects that he's not where he's supposed to be when he's supposed to be there.

And didnt we get Deion Branch in the second round? Wilson in the second round? You can manage to find a few second round busts from the past year but you fail to mention some of the great second round picks our FO.

Busts from Round 2 the past 3 years, not 'last year'.

This back and forth over Chad Jackson is going to go on for quite some time now, I'm going to from this moment forward try and restrain myself from getting involved in said discussions.

I will say that since I was going to predict the Lions game as Jackson's breakout game had he been healthy, I will now come out and say this week against Jax is the week that his impact is felt.

That's not to say that if he doesn't contribute I'm going to jump off his bandwagon and scream bust, I'm just saying, I believe that given the strides Belichick says Jackson has made, given that he will have a healthy week of practice this week, I think this Sunday projects as a good chance to have Jackson get plenty more snaps in passing situations.

Uh, they DID change based on his injuries. As I stated previously, I am not looking for Bethel Release 2.0 to tear up the field, have a "breakout game" or anything like the more than a dozen Chad Rules! threads shouted here. Just looking for a game contribution. A couple catches here and there.

I think it's quite likely that Mr Chad is one doofus that Brady and Graham were referring to last week when they said it's time for the newer guys to step up and contribute. Yet again, Chad was MIA.

Given that the 2006 team lacks productive wideouts who are most always open and deserving of all Brady's attention, wouldn't ya think that if the kid could run his routes well and get open a few times a game Brady would find him? Given that Brady is known as THE QB whose favorite receiver is the open man, with all our other guys covered wouldn't Brady be throwing Chad's way if he were open in the correct spot on the field? I think the lack of tosses to Chad the few games he's played reflects that he's not where he's supposed to be when he's supposed to be there.
Well, I dont understand why anybody in their right mind thought Chad would walk in as a 21 year old kid and get a 1000 yard season or something ridiculous. He seems like a good kid, regardless of some childish behavior early in the season. Oh I am sure he would get a lot of catches if Brady wanted to throw to him more. I dont mind who Brady throws to as long as we win and Brady usually does a good job. Players cant control injuries and how long they will be out. But the fact is Chad wont get much catches if he isnt playing a lot or if Brady isnt really throwing to him(problably because his comfort level with guys like Watson, Caldwell, Brown are far more than his comfort level with Jackson right now). Belichick seems confident Chad will be a good player soon enough. Jackson is easily the fastest reciever on our team and he problably has some of the best hands on the team as well. He will get smarter as he gets more experienced. Its not his fault if people are hyping him to have an unreal season and it doesnt occur. I havent seen very much that Jackson has done wrong except for a play when he "slowed down" in the Chicago game. I mean damn, it seems like if a player makes a mistake no one will forgive him for weeks.

I havent seen very much that Jackson has done wrong except for a play when he "slowed down" in the Chicago game.

Plus, Brady's pass really sailed instead of dropping. Again, with more time together, the two will feel more comfortable together, and they make that play every time.

OK, that's the last thing I say about the CJ issue. ;)

And why did Gabriel get released? Maybe I am missing why if there is a reason. If nothing was released, why on earth would the Patriots release him with an already thin recieving core. I doubt they saw Gaffney or Brown as world beaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back